PDA

View Full Version : where to go in Singapore?

tcyiu
09-11-2010, 02:32 AM
Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question. But if I have just a few hours of free time, where should I go to oggle some killer quality discus? I'll be in the city center.

Of course, I won't be able to schlepp any fish back with me in my carry-on. Just curious to see the famed quality of normally does not get exported to the States.

Thanks,

Tim

stanlee
09-11-2010, 09:32 AM
city centre is business district. no discus there.
discus are usually located far in the periphery, ie. farm land.
any particular one u keen to locate?
:)

tcyiu
09-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Nothing in particular. I just want to gawk at all the lovely discus I cannot buy. LOL.

Are there any particular districts where the aquarium stores are concentrated? In Hong Kong, there is one street that is packed with fish stores.

Thanks,
Tim

stanlee
09-12-2010, 10:26 AM
too many lfs in spore.
u need to concentrate on those with more discus varieties to see for constraints of time.
suggestions : 1. pasir ris farm
2. sungei tengah road farms
3. yio chu kang road farms
4. perhaps lfs like ah chai at ang mo kio town

i am sure there are others but may not be so accessible.
when is ur target date?
:)

tcyiu
09-12-2010, 01:33 PM
You're right. Many of these places are way out of the City centre. I guess I should plan for when I have a lot more time (like a full weekend).

Oh. I plan to be there at the end of September.

Thanks for your help.

Tim

illumnae
09-13-2010, 09:38 PM
The nearest to the city centre just closed down due to tenancy disputes =(

I think the easiest for you to get to from town (which hotel are you at?) would be Chai discus at Ang Mo Kio, which is a straight subway (we call it MRT here - Mass Rapid Transit) train up from the city. You can browse through their website at:

http://www.chaidiscus.com.sg/

tcyiu
09-14-2010, 03:40 PM
Thanks. That's a great tip. Walking distance from an MRT station is crucial since I will have no car. From their website, the passage is covered which is great (I have walked MILES in Singapore in the sun and it is NOT fun).

I'm still deciding on where I want to stay. The hotels closest to City Hall are either expensive or dumpy.

Tim

illumnae
09-14-2010, 09:47 PM
There is a backpacker's hotel (name slips me at the moment) near Tiong Bahru MRT station. Be careful you get the right one though, there are also some seedy hotels nearby. However, this means that you won't get a direct MRT to Chai discus. You'll have to take the eastbound train to Raffles Place and change to the northbound one there.