PDA

View Full Version : Dropped head, swim bladder issue (my fix)

bruceau
09-11-2010, 07:50 AM
Hey guys,

Not sure if this have been covered before but i thought id share maybe it can be sticky'd or someone can tell me slag off its old news..

So i had a discus that was dropping its head and having a hard time staying level and down... was constantly fighting its own weight to stay down.

i did some reading and found out over reading this is how i should treat it, and it went well so i'll share its been about 48 hours and it looks like the lil fellas gunna live.

1, setup sick tank, i had a 40/50l tank, i filled it up half way about 25/30l
2, filter used was a spongy air filter, ensure water temp and ph are good
3, put one tablespoon of Epsom salt in the tank with the little guy
4, leave him for some quite time and check back on him every couple of hours.

at first he was DARK black almost no color at all, was on the top of the tank breathing but was tired from fighting with his swim bladder.

first hour i noticed he was changing color no so dark
two hours i noticed he was even better color and was able to keep himself level but was still struggling
three hours still having a hard time but better color
four no change but maybe a little better color
five hours, 100% swimming level and looking a much better color very active.

i did also add a fluke and worm pill, but i i think the Epsom salt was the real winner here...

i also gave him a bath in a 2.0% solution early in the day but it seemed to make no difference the real change came when i put him in the tank with a tablespoon of Epsom salts.

12 hours later i did a 50% water change on the tank and then about 16 hours later i put him back in the main tank, he seems 100% now but still has not eaten, i think tomorrow we should see him eat Wink

whats peoples thoughts on Epsom, iv found it awesome iv never used it before, but people speak quite highly and after this experience i think i will use it over other medications again i dont mean to sound like a hippy but it seems to be very low impact on the fish.

Eddie
09-12-2010, 06:37 AM
Epsom works well for bloat/constipation and it can also aid in dealing with internal flagellates.