PDA

View Full Version : Best Water Conditioner For Discus

imzkola
09-11-2010, 11:10 AM
Hi,

I was just wondering what people thought was the best water conditoner on the market to use with a discus tank? and the reasons why please? as i use nutrafin aqua plus and im wondering if that is fine?

I only started questioning nutrafin aqua plus because after some research I realised, after using it for so long, Nutrafin cycle is a waste of time and money! GRRRR! :angry:

Anyway look forward to everyones responses.

seanyuki
09-11-2010, 12:28 PM
Most of the people here use Seachem Prime.....It's a great product.....there are other good water conditioners too in the market.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

tcyiu
09-11-2010, 09:01 PM
Unless you know what you are treating and why, any product is a waste of time and money. i.e. unless you tell us your water conditions what you believe you need to fix, there is no single "best" product.

For example, if you have well water that is soft, slightly acidic and has no nitrates, you do not need to use any conditioner at all.

If you have tap water that has only chlorine or is saturated with gases, then the only conditioning you need is to aerate the water.

If you have chloramine in your tap water, and your water has high pH, then you'll need something like Prime. However, if you have chloramine and pH below 7.6, you do not need Prime at all. Any generic low cost de-chlorinator is just fine.

As you can see, the "best" solution really depends on what you have.

Tim

Eddie
09-12-2010, 09:23 AM
Most of the people here use Seachem Prime.....It's a great product.....there are other good water conditioners too in the market.

http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Prime.html

More users have switched to SAFE as it saves tons.

vera
09-12-2010, 09:52 AM
Does SAFE come only in a powder form ?

Eddie
09-12-2010, 09:54 AM
Does SAFE come only in a powder form ?

Safe is a powder

vera
09-12-2010, 09:57 AM
cant find it locally , but found 1kg from Australia

Eddie
09-12-2010, 09:59 AM
cant find it locally , but found 1kg from Australia

Yup, 1 kilo will last a long time depending on how many tanks you have. With a dozen tanks and daily 100% water changes, the kilo container lasted me 4-5 months.

vera
09-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Great , then 1kg will last me a life time , tnx

seanyuki
09-12-2010, 10:31 AM
David Rose(IGO Pro) has Seachem Safe for sale.

http://www.igopro-online.com/Seachem-SAFE-4K-p/scsafe4k.htm

Great , then 1kg will last me a life time , tnx

vera
09-12-2010, 10:42 AM
David Rose(IGO Pro) has Seachem Safe for sale.

http://www.igopro-online.com/Seachem-SAFE-4K-p/scsafe4k.htm

WOW!! Thats a give away price !1 i found was 50 dollars per 1kg

Owl
09-12-2010, 11:30 AM
In the UK you can't beat an HMA filter for providing good quality water.

wadewc
09-12-2010, 01:05 PM
In the UK you can't beat an HMA filter for providing good quality water.

Owl, Just wanted to say that is a Beautiful German Shepard!

Wade

bob70
09-13-2010, 12:11 PM
I am using Prodac Aquasana for the last 4 years. It has AloVera extract. Result-Excellent. From the end of this month Seachem will be available in INDIA. Shall i change to Prime or stick to Aquasana?

pcsb23
09-13-2010, 12:28 PM
In the UK you can't beat an HMA filter for providing good quality water.Ditto, and it is a very nice GSD too :)

vera
09-13-2010, 12:30 PM
What is this miracle filter and what it treats plz :)

wheelsdeal
09-13-2010, 12:57 PM
In my opinion the best way is to use a prefilter to your tap water with carbon to remove chemicals and dirt and not use a water conditioner at all.If you use water conditioners i would suggest Seachem Prime cause its very economical due to its ratio mL/L.Another good product is Api Stress Coat which has aloe vera and works also as an anti stress product.

pcsb23
09-13-2010, 03:13 PM
What is this miracle filter and what it treats plz :)
It's no miracle Vera, just a combination of carbon filter technologies that removes the nasties from the water and leaves the good stuff without adding any further chemicals.

vera
09-13-2010, 09:36 PM
It's no miracle Vera, just a combination of carbon filter technologies that removes the nasties from the water and leaves the good stuff without adding any further chemicals.

thank u Paul , i heard locally some ppl use carbon block(sort of ltl filtrer) attached to tap i might look in to it as well