PDA

View Full Version : Anchor Worms

1Chuck9669
09-11-2010, 09:24 PM
Hi All,

I'm pretty sure I have an infestation of anchor worms. My camera cannot take a good enough picture so I cannot post one. However, I did some research and viewed some pictures that look like the parasite that is attached to my fish.

I have tried searching this site but I'm not too good using the search feature. How can I treat my 125g aquarium to ensure I get rid of all these parasites?

Thanks in advance!!!

nc0gnet0
09-12-2010, 12:04 AM
Anchor worms on a discus? Rare, how is your water quality? How many worms are you seeing per discus?

PP is the treatment I would use, but I have never even had to deal with these on my Koi, let alone my discus. I would really like to see some pictures first, before you went ahead with treatment.

johnnathan
09-12-2010, 12:45 AM
PP is best for your treatment. Please upload your photo first.

Note: Do not over doses PP. be careful

Eddie
09-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I actually prefer Life Bearer

http://www.aquariumproductreviews.com/Parasite-Medications/Anti-Fluke-Life-Bearer-p-1275.html

1Chuck9669
09-12-2010, 12:38 PM
As far as I can tell I do not have them on my Discus, but rather on my dither fish. I understand your wanting to see a photo, however, my camera will not take a good shot at close range. I can tell you that the parasite is about half an inch to three-quarters of an inch and has two small elongated sacks hanging off the rear.

As to how they got in my tank, I caught my 12 year old grandson putting in some small fish he had caught in a pond at my local city park about a month ago. I believe this is where the infestation came from.

Anchor worms on a discus? Rare, how is your water quality? How many worms are you seeing per discus?

PP is the treatment I would use, but I have never even had to deal with these on my Koi, let alone my discus. I would really like to see some pictures first, before you went ahead with treatment.

1Chuck9669
09-12-2010, 12:41 PM
I'm sorry, my camera is not high-quality and does not take close-range pictures without becoming blurry. I did research several sites on the internet and have concluded the infestation is anchor worms.

Thanks for letting me know about PP!

PP is best for your treatment. Please upload your photo first.

Note: Do not over doses PP. be careful

1Chuck9669
09-12-2010, 12:53 PM
Hi Eddie,

So Life Bearer is the way to go? Is it safer on my Discus than PP? I also have 4 Clown Loaches to worry about. I read the review provided by your link and feel pretty safe about using this product.

This is the best picture I can provide and it is not too good.

http://www.aquariumproductreviews.com/Parasite-Medications/Anti-Fluke-Life-Bearer-p-1275.html

Eddie
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
IMO and experience its much safer than PP but you will not be able to treat the loaches.

nc0gnet0
09-12-2010, 08:06 PM
I have never considered a clown loach a dither fish......do you have tetras too?

1Chuck9669
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
The worms are on my tetras. The loaches are a concern whenever a medication is introduced and I just felt I needed to mention them regarding the best way to treat the tank.

I have never considered a clown loach a dither fish......do you have tetras too?

Eddie
09-12-2010, 08:12 PM
The worms are on my tetras. The loaches are a concern whenever a medication in introduced and I just felt I needed to mention them regarding the best way to treat the tank.

You will have to use half the dose recommended if you treat the tetras.

1Chuck9669
09-12-2010, 08:26 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I could place the loaches in a seperate tank during the treatment period. I want to be sure to rid the entire tank of the infestation. Since you recommended halving the dosage, does this mean I should extend the duration of the treatment?
You will have to use half the dose recommended if you treat the tetras.

Eddie
09-12-2010, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the heads up. I could place the loaches in a seperate tank during the treatment period. I want to be sure to rid the entire tank of the infestation. Since you recommended halving the dosage, does this mean I should extend the duration of the treatment?

Possibly, really depends on how the fish are doing after treatment. I'll find you a link on how to properly treat with Trichlorfon (Life Bearer). Give me a second.

Here you go

http://www.lagunakoi.com/Applying-Me...kes-p-349.html

1Chuck9669
09-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Thanks for all your help. I will update this thread as I go through the treatment so that others may reference.

johnnathan
09-14-2010, 03:38 PM

Thank for your recommendation about Life Bearer:book: