PDA

View Full Version : HELP, Buldging eyes!!!

discusmurderer
09-11-2010, 09:51 PM
Hi guys and gals, My fish have been fine all the time except for this problem. I saw the small one out of the three which i call the female, she has been hiding in a corner so i did not think much of it because they are normaly fighting but when i looked closley her eye on one side is very huge and buldging out, it has a kind of white coating on it. I threw her in a ht andused the same water that she came from but just added 50% clean water also and put in some binox and some salt also. Is this the right treatment? I have just been reading alot and staying silent in the backround, no new fish yet, i am still honing in my skills. bye for now!!

Jennie
09-11-2010, 10:04 PM
DM can you post the water parameters anyway for everyone. Sometimes keeping very clean water can help. May be bacterial infection. Can you post pics too?

Love Discus
09-11-2010, 11:50 PM
DM can you post the water parameters anyway for everyone. Sometimes keeping very clean water can help. May be bacterial infection. Can you post pics too?
It's called "pop eye" i believe. I do not know anything about, nor have I ever dealt with it. I would do a search for "pop eye" here first, then if your not saticfied I would hit up google. I have read quite a few times on this board that you should get many opinions before thowing any meds at the fish.

Good Luck, I think it's very treatable if you catch it early.
-Tom

Jhhnn
09-12-2010, 09:14 AM
Popeye is generally caused by an internal bacterial infection. Successful treatment is rare, imo, although opinion varies in the literature.The fact that the fish has been hiding in the corner is also an indication of internal infection. I lost a tankful of altum angels to popeye many years ago, one at a time, before some of the newer antibiotics were available.

I'd try kanamycin or minocycline (maracyn 2) in a hospital tank with lots of fresh water.

discusmurderer
09-12-2010, 08:32 PM

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/discusmurderer/th_DSCI1597.jpg (http://s925.photobucket.com/albums/ad100/discusmurderer/?action=view&current=DSCI1597.mp4)Here is a video of her and the water is nitrates 30
nitrites 0
nh4 0
ph 7.6

Eddie
09-12-2010, 08:37 PM
Treat as Jhhnn suggested, Kanamycin.

180-250 mg/per each gallon. Treat every 3 days, performing 50% water change before each treatment, for a total of 3 treatments.

discusmurderer
09-12-2010, 09:02 PM
Treat as Jhhnn suggested, Kanamycin.

180-250 mg/per each gallon. Treat every 3 days, performing 50% water change before each treatment, for a total of 3 treatments.

Ok ed thanks, I am gonna get it tommorow, i havent got that at home, would tetracyclyin work also?

Jennie
09-12-2010, 09:27 PM
dm, get what john and eddie mentioned:)
Ok ed thanks, I am gonna get it tommorow, i havent got that at home, would tetracyclyin work also?

discusmurderer
09-12-2010, 09:33 PM
dm, get what john and eddie mentioned:)

Ok i'll be shure to get it tomm.thanks for the replies!!!

Eddie
09-12-2010, 09:34 PM

Should work but Kanamycin is my preferred antibiotic for this ailment.

golden29
09-13-2010, 04:13 AM
If you got the kanamycin now you might try mixing it in with his food if he is eating along with dosing the tank.

golden29
09-22-2010, 07:53 PM
Hows that Discus doing?

Jennie
09-22-2010, 07:54 PM
It went over the discus rainbow:(