PDA

View Full Version : REALLY IN NEED OF HELP!!!

imzkola
09-12-2010, 11:55 AM
I did have another thread but nobody was replyin soo i have to start this one as i am lost and i dont know what to do.

i have just introduced my discus four days ago to my tank. before that i had cardinals.

since then the discus have not changed in behaviour. they have not come out and have just hid behind the plants. yesterday my cardinals had white spots starting to cover them, now my discus also have white spots starting to cover them.

my pH is 7.5. no ammonia or nitrite.

what should i do? how to treat?

please help

April
09-12-2010, 12:00 PM
crank your heat up to 86..and get some ick medication. what is your temperature? discus shouldnt get ick..is it like salt speckles all over the cardinals? if your temperature is less than 84 possibly its ick. cardinals are prone to it .

imzkola
09-12-2010, 12:06 PM
my temp is at 86...it always has been. yesterday i dint notice anything in the morning. i did a water change and BAM the cardinals had white spots. the discus seemed fine in the morning today but now they are also covered with them. little salt particles spaced out all over their body??

kaceyo
09-12-2010, 02:38 PM
I have read that there are strains of ick now that can tolerate discus temps although they are still fairly rare.
As april said, get some ick cure. Rid-Ick or Quick-Cure are two of many available. Get something with both formalin and Malichite green.

pcsb23
09-12-2010, 02:56 PM
You should be able to find Kusuri F&MG or NT Labs F&MG in the UK. Both are excellent brands, follow the directions on the bottle. The Interpet and King British white spot treatments work too.

imzkola
09-12-2010, 04:46 PM
i have waterlifes protozin...is this okay?

and how often do i do water changes whilst using medication?

pcsb23
09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
i have waterlifes protozin...is this okay?

and how often do i do water changes whilst using medication?Yep, should be fine. Follow the instructions on the bottle.

imzkola
09-12-2010, 05:01 PM
and can the kusuri and nt labs f&mg be used wih discus? as the seller description says it can only be used with koi and goldfish?

imzkola
09-12-2010, 05:02 PM
the waterlife protozin doesnt say anything about water changes :S

pcsb23
09-12-2010, 05:31 PM
and can the kusuri and nt labs f&mg be used wih discus? as the seller description says it can only be used with koi and goldfish?Yep it is just formalin and malachite green - I have used both of these brands on my discus without issue.

the waterlife protozin doesnt say anything about water changes :SIf memory serves protozin contains copper, formalin and malachite green. I would do small water changes to remove uneaten food etc. Protozin should work well for ich.

Jennie
09-12-2010, 05:32 PM
My suggestion would be to do a good water change prior to each app. It, protozin, is a 3 day, 3x treatment correct?

h2osanity
09-12-2010, 05:36 PM
It would be better not to use anything with malachite green in it unless it is a quarantine tank...try not to use them on display tanks as it can stain everything in it...as well, the MG can leach out of any ornamentation, plants, wood etc over a period of time and cause issues with other fish, inverts etc.

Salt is a great medicine when used to treat ich. Aquarium salt, sea salt or kosher salt. Treats everything from Discus to guppies.

imzkola
09-12-2010, 05:44 PM
My suggestion would be to do a good water change prior to each app. It, protozin, is a 3 day, 3x treatment correct?

protozin is a 4 day treatment where you treat on 1,2,3 day then miss 4,5 and treat again on 6th.

i shall continue using this and if it doesn't work shall i try the nt labs f&mg? is it stronger?

pcsb23
09-12-2010, 05:49 PM
Nope. 4 Day treatment on days 1,2, 3 and 6. http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/protozin.htm By implication water changes should not be carried out.

Jennie
09-12-2010, 05:51 PM
I've wondered how to approach that because of the same sort of treatment I've done with prazi pro and HAVING to keep clean water and not being sure whether to let the water/treatment ride for a couple days without WC.:) and not all fish are like the discus

Nope. 4 Day treatment on days 1,2, 3 and 6. http://www.waterlife.co.uk/waterlife/protozin.htm By implication water changes should not be carried out.

imzkola
09-12-2010, 05:54 PM
lol as a rookie fish keeper you guys are really confusing. i dont know whether to do water changes or not??? and if waterlifes protozin is good enough...

my discus are already stressed enough with them just being introduced to the tank and now they have white spots aswel.

pcsb23
09-12-2010, 05:57 PM
I've wondered how to approach that because of the same sort of treatment I've done with prazi pro and HAVING to keep clean water and not being sure whether to let the water/treatment ride for a couple days without WC.:) and not all fish are like the discusTrue, they are not all like discus. Waterlife are quite a good company, and their products tend to work. 6 Days should not be an issue provided feeding isn't overdone. There are some meds that require you to remove the filter AND not do a water change for three days, specifically designed for discus too!

pcsb23
09-12-2010, 05:59 PM
lol as a rookie fish keeper you guys are really confusing. i dont know whether to do water changes or not??? and if waterlifes protozin is good enough...

my discus are already stressed enough with them just being introduced to the tank and now they have white spots aswel.As other have said it is rare to get white spot with discus, particularly if your temps are correct (86f). Protozin will work if it is ich, use as directed on the bottle. It contains copper so overdosing will be risky to your fish.

Eddie
09-12-2010, 06:02 PM

my discus are already stressed enough with them just being introduced to the tank and now they have white spots aswel.

Its normal, you'll get a ton of answers on forums and you'll need to decipher which information to retain. My suggestion is to listen to Paul, he knows what he is talking about through experience and always provides valuable input with regard to treating fish.

Eddie

imzkola
09-12-2010, 06:12 PM
thanks guys...i sort of know what to do.

i am going to continue to use protozin and finish the course. i shall do little water changes daily just to clean the waste food from the gravel. after day6 i shall do a 30% water change. if the ich has not cleared up after day 8/9, i shall start to use nt labs f&mg... and go from there....

if anybody thinks this is not the right way to go about it please do correct me.

hopefully during this time the discus will be more settled in the tank...

thanks again guys

Jennie
09-12-2010, 06:50 PM
LOL. true, and I would listen to Eddie as well when he's around.:D

Its normal, you'll get a ton of answers on forums and you'll need to decipher which information to retain. My suggestion is to listen to Paul, he knows what he is talking about through experience and always provides valuable input with regard to treating fish.

Eddie

kaceyo
09-12-2010, 07:06 PM

Eddie

Ditto!