PDA

View Full Version : Finally

wadewc
09-12-2010, 12:35 PM
Well my blue diamond pair laid eggs sometime last night. [I have had eggs laid in my community tank but one female would lay the eggs then another female would eat them and lay her own. Then the other female would eat her eggs. The one i think is a male would just watch them and did not know what to do.] Woke up to them tending to the eggs. I have had this pair in this tank for a long while hoping i had the sex right with the pair. [Still not sure because i did not see who laid and who fertilized.] Ironically they are one year old this week. I have been hoping for this moment for a long time. Unfortunatly i missed Lamons class so i am alittle nervous my self. For what i have been reading they are doing very good taking care of the eggs for their first time. [Blowing and fanning the eggs.] I guess i will know in the next few days if they are fertile or not. I need to read more on the BB shrimp and how to take care of them. Please let me know if anyone has advise or suggestions.

Thanks,
Wade

Eddie
09-12-2010, 08:09 PM
Thats great Wade! Hope they are confirmed pair. Blue Diamonds can take a while to mature so the male may still be shooting blanks. Keep us updated on them. If they do produce wrigglers, I'd move them to a breeder if you are planning on raising pups.

All the best,

Eddie

wadewc
09-13-2010, 08:02 AM
Thanks Eddie! I have had this pair in a breeding tank for sometime waiting for the moment to be right. Could not sleep last night a little excited and i noticed one was eating the eggs. All gone now. When they lay eggs again i will remove the one i noticing eating the eggs. What a bummer.

Have a great day!
Wade

Eddie
09-13-2010, 08:54 AM
Thanks Eddie! I have had this pair in a breeding tank for sometime waiting for the moment to be right. Could not sleep last night a little excited and i noticed one was eating the eggs. All gone now. When they lay eggs again i will remove the one i noticing eating the eggs. What a bummer.

Have a great day!
Wade

No worries Wade, just let them do their thing. Sometimes the fish need to mature so removing the one eating the eggs can sometimes set you back further. Let the pair bond and figure it out, it will happen. Just got to be patient buddy. ;)

All the best with the next spawn,

Eddie

wadewc
11-06-2010, 03:09 PM
Made some changes with the fish and now I have wigglers today. Ordered BBS eggs and other supplies. Ken said I should have my order by Wednesday or Thursday of next week. Reading on how to hatch the BBS, should be good to go. I have the Grand kids living with us at this time and they sure are exited. Just wanted to share the excitement.

Wade

wendy9722
11-06-2010, 03:27 PM
Did they shimmy and shake side by side? Mine are doing that today and not sure if that is there way of mating. I just got them yesterday and they are doing that today. I know that they are a proven pair and they did it 2x's. Please let me know.
Wendy

wadewc
11-06-2010, 05:56 PM
Did they shimmy and shake side by side? Mine are doing that today and not sure if that is there way of mating. I just got them yesterday and they are doing that today. I know that they are a proven pair and they did it 2x's. Please let me know.
Wendy

Hi Wendy,
Yes they did! If yours are a proven pair and they are shimmy and shaking it is a mater of time. Be patient!

My problem was I had two females. They shimmyed, shaked and rubed. I put pulled one from another tank I thought was a male and I finally caught the one that was eating the eggs. So I pulled one female and wah lah.

Wade

wendy9722
11-06-2010, 06:03 PM
Hi Wade,

My concern is that the tank is empty and if they go to lay eggs where are they gonna put them and once that happens I dont know if I should move them onto something. I put a thread up on the beginners thread. Maybe you can answer some of the questions I have listed.

Thanks and God bless,
Wendy

wadewc
11-06-2010, 06:23 PM
Hi Wade,

My concern is that the tank is empty and if they go to lay eggs where are they gonna put them and once that happens I dont know if I should move them onto something. I put a thread up on the beginners thread. Maybe you can answer some of the questions I have listed.

Thanks and God bless,
Wendy

Wendy,

First please understand I consider my self a novice.
You will want to have a Bare Bottom tank for them to breed. This will make it easier to keep clean. The will lay eggs on, side of the tank, filter tube, heater basically anywhere. I have read where some use a flower pot, piece of pvc pipe, piece of slate. I bought me a breading cone with a lip on the bottom.

I will say I noticed doing alot of water changes seemed to stimulate them to lay eggs.

I will look at what you asked on the beginners post.

Wade

Eddie
11-06-2010, 09:46 PM
Made some changes with the fish and now I have wigglers today. Ordered BBS eggs and other supplies. Ken said I should have my order by Wednesday or Thursday of next week. Reading on how to hatch the BBS, should be good to go. I have the Grand kids living with us at this time and they sure are exited. Just wanted to share the excitement.

Wade

Thats great news Wade! Hope things go smoothly.

All the best,

Eddie

Justice
11-07-2010, 01:36 AM
Wade congrats on your confirmed pair and i hope you get lots of fry,

wendy9722
11-07-2010, 10:36 AM
Good luck Wade!!! I hope things fall into place for ya n go smoothly!!!
Wendy

wadewc
11-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Thanks Eddie, Joe and Wendy!

I have a question. Yesterday evening the parents were in a frenzy keeping the little guys on the cone. I thought the parents might be hungry so I fed them. Noticed this morning some of the wriggers was gone. Is there a time when and when you should not feed the parents?

Thanks,
Wade

Eddie
11-07-2010, 07:25 PM
Thanks Eddie, Joe and Wendy!

I have a question. Yesterday evening the parents were in a frenzy keeping the little guys on the cone. I thought the parents might be hungry so I fed them. Noticed this morning some of the wriggers was gone. Is there a time when and when you should not feed the parents?

Thanks,
Wade

Different strokes for different folks. Generally I do not feed unless the fish come away from the site for food.

Justice
11-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Here is my 2 penny's: Please keep in mind I am no expert.

Short Answer: I do not feed until there are free swimming fry.

Long Answer: Some people feed the whole time while others do not I guess it just depends on what works or has worked for each person and their pair's and setup.

John_Nicholson
11-08-2010, 03:12 PM
I do the same thing everyday whether they have fry or not.

-john

wadewc
11-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Thanks guys! Well the parents ate all the fry. I had 50 wiglers. I was figuring it was a feeding frenzy. But that is okay. I have a confirmed breeding pair. I will keep on trying.

Thanks for all the help and comments!

Wade

Eddie
11-08-2010, 11:05 PM
Thanks guys! Well the parents ate all the fry. I had 50 wiglers. I was figuring it was a feeding frenzy. But that is okay. I have a confirmed breeding pair. I will keep on trying.

Thanks for all the help and comments!

Wade

Sorry to hear about the fry Wade but definitely good to know you have a confirmed pair. Good luck with the next spawn!

Eddie