PDA

View Full Version : dark and hiding discus.

ncassells
09-13-2010, 10:30 AM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
I have 3x Blue turq and 3x Red turqs
All of which are hiding, and dont show much colour at all. Most of them are very dark and have stress lines on them.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
Dark
Not eating
Clamped fins (at times)
Clear poop
Hiding
Dark eyes

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
I put some melafix and pimafix in, but it kill nearly all of my pencilfish, so i immediately did a 50% water change
I also de-wormed them the same day... So i doubt that took any effect.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
200L (50gal)
Its about 6 months old
6x discus would be around 3 inches each.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
30% once a week
10% every 3 or so days
soil is seachem flourite black sand

6 Parameters and water source;

temp 28.6
ammo: 0
nitrate: 0-5
nitrite: o
ph: 7.2
gh: 10 (179)
kh: 4 (71.6)

6 of the cardinals died and 2 of the rummy died literally 3 days after putting them in the tank, I have no idea why they did.

I did a water change, turned off the co2, cranked up a air pump and added some seachem discus buffer and cleaned out the filter

Other tank fish include: rummy nose tetra, cardinal tetra, pepper cory, siamese flying fox and ottos.

The filter has been well established. Before i used it in the tank, it was cycling in a tank that had been running for about a year.

I stole the heater from my other tank and have it in there now, slowly raising the temp to 30. I will buy one tomorrow in my break.

This is one of them. now dead.
http://img16.imageshack.us/img16/9384/dsc00398dw.jpg

Eddie
09-14-2010, 06:51 AM
Hmmm, the quality of the discus doesn't look too good. How long have you had them? Maybe they were ill prior to you receiving them. Definitely get the melafix out of the water. When you say you dewormed them, how exactly? With what dewormer and what dosage?

Eddie

boxters
09-14-2010, 07:29 AM
IMO the biggest problem would be all the meeds you are putting in the tank. I would do 100% water change and add some carbon. Fishes eye looks cloudy which is a sign of bacterial infection. I would just give plenty of clean water for now and no meds or buffers.