PDA

View Full Version : Carbon

Dylandrewsdad
09-13-2010, 11:39 AM
So I have been reading the forum and I see that most people do not use carbon in Discus tanks as it can be harmful? How? Before I saw that I had carbon in my tank? My LFS has a 140 Gallon show tank with 8-9 Discus in it and he uses carbon....So why now?

Eddie
09-13-2010, 11:50 AM
So I have been reading the forum and I see that most people do not use carbon in Discus tanks as it can be harmful? How? Before I saw that I had carbon in my tank? My LFS has a 140 Gallon show tank with 8-9 Discus in it and he uses carbon....So why now?

Its not that its harmful, it's just that there are other types of media that can be used in place of carbon. Carbon is useful at removing dyes, smells, medications, etc. These types of things can also be removed by doing regular water changes. Carbon has a time span where it is most effective and once its spent, you have to replace it. You'll find a few folks using it on here.

Eddie

AirCapital
09-13-2010, 02:55 PM

the main problem with carbon is once it is spent, everything that it picked up and absorned gets released back into the tank, and at a much faster rate. plenty of water changes will prevent you from having to use it and your cyrstal clear water will be great for your fish

pcsb23
09-13-2010, 03:43 PM
the main problem with carbon is once it is spent, everything that it picked up and absorned gets released back into the tank, and at a much faster rate. plenty of water changes will prevent you from having to use it and your cyrstal clear water will be great for your fishThis is not quite correct. Activated carbon cannot under normal aquarium conditions release anything back into the tank. The reason for this is that it adsorbs chemicals. i.e. the chemicals it removes it does so by bonding at the atomic level. It would require immense temperatures and/or very strong acids to cause any chemicals to be released.

tcyiu
09-13-2010, 10:53 PM
This is not quite correct. Activated carbon cannot under normal aquarium conditions release anything back into the tank. The reason for this is that it adsorbs chemicals. i.e. the chemicals it removes it does so by bonding at the atomic level. It would require immense temperatures and/or very strong acids to cause any chemicals to be released.

+1

Tim

AirCapital
09-14-2010, 01:21 AM
I think it also depends on how high of quality you get.Some carbons may also leach sulfate, and metals, into your water as well as absorb iron and copper like stated. I guess it would be hard to test

Chemically speaking what may be at work here, is ion displacement , with the ones for which the carbon has more affinity displacing ions for which there exists lesser affinity. The displacement results in these ions ending back up in the water (Thiel, 1989).

Eddie
09-14-2010, 01:48 AM
This is not quite correct. Activated carbon cannot under normal aquarium conditions release anything back into the tank. The reason for this is that it adsorbs chemicals. i.e. the chemicals it removes it does so by bonding at the atomic level. It would require immense temperatures and/or very strong acids to cause any chemicals to be released.

+2

zamboniMan
09-15-2010, 09:11 PM

Or high Chlorine levels... Though this should NEVER be an issue.

I use it, I like it. It works well for me.

David Rose
09-15-2010, 09:28 PM
I've read that carbon can alter pH and add phosphates that will promote algae growth. I'm not so sure about the impact on pH, but I have noticed that when I used carbon on a regular basis that I will get algae growth. Now I keep Seachem's Renew (http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/Renew.html) on hand to replace carbon.

zamboniMan
09-16-2010, 12:05 PM
It's the phosphate that increases algae growth not the carbon itself. If you rinse it before putting it in this isn't much of an issue.

David Rose
09-16-2010, 12:12 PM
Even with a thorough rinsing there is a issue with algae.