PDA

View Full Version : flake trouble

jduboscarf
09-14-2010, 01:33 AM
It's been about 72 hrs since I've been trying to get my discus to eat flake. No success. I decided to make a seafood mix and mix flakes with it. They went for it right away. Used equal parts tilapia, salmon, shrimp, 1/4 cup of flakes and pressed cloves of garlic. Small batch, just experimenting. Next time I'll use all ocean fish and some greens.

Eddie
09-14-2010, 01:56 AM
It's been about 72 hrs since I've been trying to get my discus to eat flake. No success. I decided to make a seafood mix and mix flakes with it. They went for it right away. Used equal parts tilapia, salmon, shrimp, 1/4 cup of flakes and pressed cloves of garlic. Small batch, just experimenting. Next time I'll use all ocean fish and some greens.

There is concern with using talapia as it can transfer disease, use ocean fish to be on the safe side.

jduboscarf
09-14-2010, 12:21 PM
I want to try to make a beef heart mix but can't find any around here. They do carry liver and kidneys, will that work? Has anyone used ground turkey instead of beef?

Eddie
09-14-2010, 05:57 PM
I want to try to make a beef heart mix but can't find any around here. They do carry liver and kidneys, will that work? Has anyone used ground turkey instead of beef?

Use ocean fish, shrimp and mussels, the fish will love it! Checkout the seafood recipes in the sticky's.

Moon
09-14-2010, 07:29 PM
I agree with Eddie. Tilapia are farmed fresh water fish and could possibly carry pathogens.

jduboscarf
09-15-2010, 02:34 AM
Ok, just p/u mahi, spinach & I have an old banana. In the am I'll mix that with salmon, shrimp & flakes. Wish me luck.

Eddie
09-15-2010, 03:30 AM
Ok, just p/u mahi, spinach & I have an old banana. In the am I'll mix that with salmon, shrimp & flakes. Wish me luck.

NICE!! I'll have some too, love Mahi Mahi! I catch them all the time here in Okinawa.

jduboscarf
09-15-2010, 10:58 AM
Eddie thanks for the prompt response in pm.

DiscusLoverJeff
09-15-2010, 11:43 AM
You can send CozyKeith and email or PM here and he can possibly give you his beefheart recipe. His fish and mine are eating it well now.

fishorama
09-15-2010, 04:00 PM
Ask at the meat counter for beef heart, it may be in the back or they might order it for you.