PDA

View Full Version : RE: Spitting food out

flyman767
09-15-2010, 10:20 AM
Hello everyone..I have one of my adult PB who seems to have lost his appetite and is spitting his food out. I've watched him for the last few days and he's not his aggressive self. He's had flagellates in the past, but I've only seen one small light brown feces in two days. It did not have the long white stringy look like I've seen with flagellates.

I thought maybe constipation, but have not noticed any swelling in the abdomen area.

I'm leaning towards some type of internal worm. I have angel deworming flake but with him spitting the food out not sure if it would help. Probably Vermisol in a QT tank if I can ascertain this is the issue. Any help would greatly be appreciated.

PH: 7.8
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 10
Ammonia: 0
Temp: 85

Eddie
09-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Can you bring the heat up to 88F? If you have other species that can't tolerate the temps, don't do it. Also, make sure you have adequate air in the tank. Keep the temp at 88 for a week or so to see if he starts eating again. I wouldn't assume worms in this instance, you most likely would still see stringy feces or the fish would eat well and appear to lose weight. If the temps dont get the fish eating again, then you may just have to treat more aggressively with metro.

Eddie

flyman767
09-15-2010, 12:22 PM
Eddie..will do. I'll see how he progresses in the next few days.

flyman767
09-15-2010, 02:48 PM
This raises another set of questions? Once a fish is infected with flagellates is he more likely to be prone to reinfestion? Also, I've read that the cause may related to a vitamin deficiency(A/D)? Does anyone know any other leading causes? Studies? Thanks

Eddie
09-15-2010, 05:47 PM
This raises another set of questions? Once a fish is infected with flagellates is he more likely to be prone to reinfestion? Also, I've read that the cause may related to a vitamin deficiency(A/D)? Does anyone know any other leading causes? Studies? Thanks

HITH is a mystery, only assumptions have been made. Vitamins may help heal the open wounds but it will not do anything for Flagellates. It might help the fishes immune system to combat Flagellates.

Flagellates may not have anything to do with HITH but in some studies, many of the fish that developed HITH had flagellates. Confusing