PDA

View Full Version : Darkening BD is sick

hockey2324
09-16-2010, 08:45 AM
My BD will not eat and is turning Black. I raised the temp to 86 and added salt to my 20 gallon tank. Also have added Pimafix med to the dank. Is there anything else i can do? How long do i keep adding salt in the tank? Do i still need to do water changes?

Jennie
09-16-2010, 08:46 AM
if your raising temp and adding pima you need to add extra airstones. I also do not find pima or melafix useful in treating bacterial infections

Eddie
09-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Is there some reason you are using salt? And I would remove the pima, its junk for treating discus. Both pima and mela are money drains.

Start with the questionnaire

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545

hockey2324
09-16-2010, 09:41 AM
What other medication for discus would you suggest?

Eddie
09-16-2010, 08:00 PM
What other medication for discus would you suggest?

I generally do not advise on treatment without knowing everything about the problem.

Please use the link I provided to give everyone a better picture of what is going on.

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545

hockey2324
09-17-2010, 11:26 AM
1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

not eating /turning black in color... happening about a week ago

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

not eating /turning black in color...poop is dark...no clamped fins...

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

2nd day of adding salt and Pimafix... no water change as of yet

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

moved to 20 gallon....fish is about 3" ...only fish in tank

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

bare bottom.... age my water for 2 days.... using R/O water

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __84___

- ph __7.0___

- ammonia reading _n/a___

- nitrite reading ___n/a_

- nitrate reading __n/a__

- well water _no___

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently.....no

nc0gnet0
09-17-2010, 02:06 PM
going to need ammonia nitrite and nitrates this is a must.

boxters
09-17-2010, 04:47 PM
More than likely an external parasite. I would do a salt bath. 500 grams of salt dissolved in a bucket of tank water. Bath fish for no longer than 50 seconds or if fish rolls prior remove immediately and return to tank

nc0gnet0
09-17-2010, 06:04 PM
I would hold off on the salt bath until we have more information. Far to little to go on to advise any treatment other that plenty of clean water as of yet.

I strongly suggest you get a decent test kit today. Water problem are always the first thing to eliminate before advising treatment.

And I most certainly wouldn't advise a salt treatment and them placeing the fish back into a tank with pimafix.

jimg
09-17-2010, 06:37 PM
I would hold off on the salt bath until we have more information. Far to little to go on to advise any treatment other that plenty of clean water as of yet.

I strongly suggest you get a decent test kit today. Water problem are always the first thing to eliminate before advising treatment.

And I most certainly wouldn't advise a salt treatment and them placeing the fish back into a tank with pimafix.

+1 also melafix, pimafix burn the fish

Eddie
09-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Concur with nc0. Definitely need to know your water parameters before anything.

I'd also advise against a salt dip and would also remove the salt/pimafi x from the tank.

A single discus in a 20 gallon tank? Is this fish in quarantine and then being added to a community tank? You are using pure RO water and your ph is 7.0?