PDA

View Full Version : Discus with red gills

jpancal
09-16-2010, 07:09 PM
I have a golden yellow discus about 4" and his gills seem red. He has been in my display tank for about 4 1/2 weeks. All my 5 new additions are doing well and have been dewormed. My yellow discus always seem to face the back of the tank but I believe this is from bullying from other tank mates. When I first got my yellow discus his gills from the outside looked white but now area bright pink/red color. I will try to post pictures soon. Other than the red gills he is eating fine and seems healthy.

Another concern is my red discus color seems to be fading a little from one side. I started feeding tetra color flakes to see if it was diet related. I'm not sure if this issue might be related to the yellow discus. Maybe the same thing is effecting them in different ways (parasite?).

Just wanted to get some advice on what this might be. Thanks in advance!

My water parameters:
Nitrates: under 10ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ammonia: 0 ppm
pH: 7.1
Temp: 86 F

Eddie
09-16-2010, 07:55 PM
Red gills are a good thing.

boxters
09-16-2010, 08:37 PM
as eddie said red gills are a good thing. However if you see red streaks in the fins aswell, then this is a sign of bacterial scepticaemea

jpancal
09-17-2010, 08:46 AM
Thanks for the information. I see a little redness near the fins as well. I'm going to try to post a video very soon.