PDA

View Full Version : Am I ready for discus?

KLGFCG
09-17-2010, 10:16 PM
To start, sorry about the book to follow. I've been lurking around, reading up, but I really want some direct, honest feedback on my situation.

I recently got a killer deal on a 90 gallon tank with FX5. I've admired discus for a while, but never thought I could keep them. I've heard more and more about them being kept in tap water, so I'm wondering if maybe I can be successful. I currently have 8 other aquariums; 4 are Africans (1 Tang, 3 mbuna), the others are communities (with angels as the centerpieces in all but one tank).

I have hard, hard well water that goes through a water softener. The pH out of the tap and aerated for 24 hours is around 8.0. I don't monitor pH in my tanks with regularity, but the last time I checked, it ranged from off the charts high (tanks with lots of THR and shells) down to about 7.8 in tanks with lots of driftwood. I've never measured my gH/kH, but I know my water is crazy hard. Even with a water softener, I get rust staining in sinks and such (though less than I get without the softener).

My water change schedule for my current tanks is 30-60% (depending on stock level) once or twice per week. I'm planning some plumbing changes soon that should mean that 2x/week or more becomes the standard.

So, my plan for the discus tank is the 90 gallon filtered with the FX5, an AquaClear 110, and possibly another filter the next time I see a good deal (I'm a big fan of over filtering). The temperature will be maintained at ~83' F with 2 heaters. I'll have playsand substrate, driftwood decor, and fake plants. I realistically think I can do water changes every 2-3 days... sometimes I can do daily, but I work long hours, and I don't want to mislead myself about what I can do. I plan to get a reservior (probably an extra tank) to keep aged, heated water (is there any benefit to trying to add peat or other acidic modifiers to this water?) to pump in for water changes. I'm not sure if I want a species tank, or a school of tetras (probably lemons, maybe rummies), possibly a couple pairs of electric blue rams. I'd like 8 discus of varying colors, but I'd like to purchase them all together from one source.

To wrap it up, what say the experts? Should I get discus, or am I better off waiting till I can devote more time and be able to do daily WC's? Is my water just too far off the mark? Any other red flags? And, if discus are a viable possibility for me, what size fish should I be looking for (I understand juvies are higher maintenance, right?)? Opinions on species tank vs. community? Other pieces of wisdom or good threads that I might have missed?

If you made it this far, THANK YOU. :)

Eddie
09-17-2010, 11:08 PM
BIG welcome to Simply, best discus forum in the world!

Nice move on the 90 gallon, the fluval is nice too, from reviews on here. Adding another filter is always a good thing to help alternate filter cleaning cycles.

For your water, it sounds fine to me. Many people actually keep discus in hard water with PH at 8.0 or more. I wouldn't really be concerned about making the water softer unless you are planning on making a close to nature biotope for wilds. From the sound of it, you want domestic hybrid types anyways.

I would start out with 7 or 8 discus since you plan on adding other species. The size I would recommend on your current plans for water changes would be 4.5" or greater. Older fish are more forgiving than juvies and anything above 4.5" will work well for you.

As far as recommendations on a source. I would highly recommend getting them from any of the sponsors on the forum. They regularly update with current shipments and pictures of the actual fish. I'd checkout out Kenny's section along with Dan from Elite Aquaria and also Kraig from Kingdom Come Discus Haven.

All the best,

Eddie

deepflyball
09-22-2010, 12:02 AM
Welcome. My ph is 8.2 and my fish do great. Only problem i see is your water hardnes. And that would only be a problem if you wanted to spawn out some fry. But even in that case you could cut your water with RO water to soften it up. Its real hard growing out discus in a planted tank because of all the water changes. Adult discus dont require as much water changing and like Eddie said are alot easer to maintain.

Jerry