PDA

View Full Version : Flashing, What is it?

Second Hand Pat
09-19-2010, 11:43 AM
Please forgive another newbie question but what is flashing?

snowflake311
09-19-2010, 01:47 PM
It's when a fish rubs on it's side Kind of skimming off of decor or plants. There are a few reasons why they might do this the number one to watch for are parasites like Ich. But poor water quality, chemicals, ph change, or just an itch are all reasons for it.

Stag
11-12-2011, 03:49 PM
Ok if that is flashing, what is it called when they flick their pelvic and or dorsal fins out and inward?

Stag
11-12-2011, 06:26 PM
nobody knows? :D

discuspaul
11-12-2011, 07:50 PM
Ok if that is flashing, what is it called when they flick their pelvic and or dorsal fins out and inward?

That was going to be my question as well.
My understanding has always been that flashing is included, (i.e. that it's part and parcel of) in the activity of a pair displaying mating behavior. Never really gave it any thought, nor researched it. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Stag
11-12-2011, 09:11 PM
My fish do it. Mainly my fish that keeps trying to court my other fish. That makes me think it is mating. They do this maybe every 4th or 5th time I sit and watch them, I watch for maybe of 5min minimum at a time. They just flick their fins outward. Anyone else notice this? maybe on a fish they KNOW is healthy.

TNT77
11-12-2011, 09:25 PM
what is it called when they flick their pelvic and or dorsal fins out and inward?
flickering?? Not sure thats the term but its what ive always called it. When they shake their bodies..shimmying (not sure thats how you spell it)

TURQ64
11-12-2011, 09:35 PM
Snowflake basically nailed it, Pat..Flashing is a diagnostic term for quickly rubbing against objects like airline tubing, substrate, etc..A sign of skin irritation, for whatever the cause(no hands, can't scratch!)..I get a bit suspicious, and change more water...

Second Hand Pat
11-12-2011, 09:46 PM
Thanks Gary, I posted this thread before I even had discus. Seems like a guide on fin movements might be useful like the one James posted.