PDA

View Full Version : MCA Expo 2010

CBZOO
09-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Well it was not a discus show but we had Discus Hans at the show to give a talk about discus and show some of his wonderfully German Stendeker fish.
After the award ceremony there was a contest to name the fish on the MCA shirt.... My 13 year old daughter was trying her best. She was the only young person in the room but she was trying. Some of the organizers were trying to help her out a little.... a few people objected to a little girl getting some help.. Hans saw all this happening and well he did what Hans does.... He made it a point to AWARD my daughter one of his show fish for trying to compete in a contest with adult fish keepers... THANK YOU HANS you made a little girl's year....
When bringing the fish home from the show Diana sat on the floor of the truck for over 2 hours with the 5 gallon bucket between her legs the entire way protecting her fish from sliding around in the truck! I got the fish home and the one I bought from Hans and the one he gave my daughter are happily swimming around in their QT tank right now!

Willie and Hans Thank you Thank you for taking the time to share some knowledge with my daughter and me. you are kind generous people I have one picture of Diana with Hans but I had the auto focus turned off... I will post pictures of the fish when they get settled in more. Hans awarded a huge Kobalt blue and I purchased a Santarem.. The Kobalt blue was the bigest Discus I have ever seen in person. The Santarem was an ineresting purchase as some time in shipping it was probably dropped and its swimm bladder got emptied. If spent the entier show laying on its side. Hans spent the entire show promising that there was nothing wrong with her... and sunday morning she was swimming upright looking wonderful. So as this was a shade I was always intersted in I purchased her from Hans. I am planning on crossing her to a Velvet Rouge from Tony Tan that I am growing out. I just hope that I can get a male and female out of the group. Santarem / Velvet Rouge (red cover) should make an ineresting cross.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/cbzoo/DSC_1696.jpg
The only problem is now my daughter will only allow me to bring in Hans' fish.... Hans is her hero now.

Jennie
09-20-2010, 08:24 AM
That was VERY thoughtful of Hans. :) I'm happy for you and your daughter!:):)

Skip
09-20-2010, 10:05 AM
Looks like HANS is Good people...! :angel:

your daughter is lucky to be getting into Discus so early.. many more years ahead of her.. good luck on the crosses!! keep the forum updated!! :D

CBZOO
09-20-2010, 01:35 PM
Looks like HANS is Good people...! :angel:

your daughter is lucky to be getting into Discus so early.. many more years ahead of her.. good luck on the crosses!! keep the forum updated!! :D
Yes she is lucky to get into discus early. She raised and took care of a pair of angelfish that I had around the house. I told her that if she could get fry from them I would get her a tank with some discus. That was over 3 years ago. Then she gets to meet Hans and Willie (again) at the expo.
Your discription of Hans is bang on! and your saying is something I use from time to time also. I got that saying from my mother... it is for her the best thing she could say about somebody.:)
Willie and Hans took time out during the weekend to listen to and talk to my Daughter and answer all of her questions! There are alot of people out there who would not take the time to listen to a 13 year old at a show. I have seen this first hand!

Discus-Hans
09-20-2010, 09:32 PM
Diana, Molly & Tom, it was absolute my pleasure.

By the way, she has to thank the lady that made so much trouble that the organizers had to disqualify Diana and that all over a freaking heater.

It pi$$ed me so off that there were 2 options, do something with the heater to that "lady" but, as an out of stater, I don't want to be in a Iowa jail or option 2.

Option 2 was more fun.

You know (and we discussed this at the show) a lot of people forget how important those kids are for our hobby.

Glad they came home well,

Hans

Jennie
09-20-2010, 09:42 PM
It's just amazing how selfish and unthoughtful some people can be. It was good of you to do this Hans

vera
09-20-2010, 09:52 PM
Viva Hans !

Discus-Hans
09-20-2010, 09:53 PM
Jennie, thank you but I think everybody would have done this (if you are in the position to do it) if you were there.

Hans

Jennie
09-20-2010, 09:57 PM
ABSOLUTELY. And because I can be evil, I would have rubbed it in the ladies face, that because of her conduct that little girl got the fish instead of the heater. Geez, all that over a heater?? I would have given her the cost of the heater just to shut her up
Jennie, thank you but I think everybody would have done this (if you are in the position to do it) if you were there.

Hans

Skip
09-20-2010, 10:54 PM
geez.. did the heater fail a drug test?!? :confused:

CBZOO
09-21-2010, 08:29 AM
Yes Hans you re-afirmed my belief in man kind!!! I read too many political websites and as such my opinion of mankind get sort of skewed by this....
Anyway thanks also to the MCA organizers John, Bob, Dave, Chris and Amy. As this fish was brought in as a donation to the MCA and was to be auctioned to help the club and they had to agree to this!
I am thinking that if I get babies from him I will donate the first spawn to the MCA. What do you all think of this? As I have not had sucess at getting fish beyond 1 or 2 days of free swimming this might be an idle promise.:)

Jennie
09-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Firm believer in paying it forward!:)

Discus-Hans
09-21-2010, 12:56 PM
Yes Hans you re-afirmed my belief in man kind!!! I read too many political websites and as such my opinion of mankind get sort of skewed by this....
Anyway thanks also to the MCA organizers John, Bob, Dave, Chris and Amy. As this fish was brought in as a donation to the MCA and was to be auctioned to help the club and they had to agree to this!
I am thinking that if I get babies from him I will donate the first spawn to the MCA. What do you all think of this? As I have not had sucess at getting fish beyond 1 or 2 days of free swimming this might be an idle promise.:)

Tom, you can do that but there is no need too, the MCA is very well taken care of depending this Discus, don't worry. Donate some of the fry for the BAP and sell the rest to buy more Discus lol lol

If you want to check on this ask Bob or Dave, they will agree on this that everything is taken care off, by the way............. if you get fry?????? You mean if Diana get fry lol lol lol

Hans

Skip
09-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Mr. Hans.. i can't wait tell.. i am selling off my FRY!! :D

do you know where i can get a good breeding pair... :antlers:

:mods:

vera
09-21-2010, 04:17 PM

LOL , in Eden gardens of course , tho' :D

Discus-Hans
09-21-2010, 07:20 PM

Sorry man I've no idea, shoot that Discus Hans USA guy an email, maybe he got a few :angel: :D

Hans

CBZOO
09-21-2010, 07:28 PM
Hans
It is really funny that you say that about the discus...because "technically" according to my wife and daughter all the discus in the house are theirs..The Santarem is the ONLY discus that could be "mine" :)
That being said both Molly and Diana are in love with seeing these wonderful fish swimming around in their tanks than in breeding them.
I on the other hand have been challenged by breeding them sucessfully....So far to no avail but I am still trying.
Which is why we have always had the argument about colors of the fish in their tanks...Right now I have them convinced to have a "Blue" tank and a Red tank.
The occupants of the blue tank are several Blue diamond grow outs and one Turq.
The occupants of the red tank are several red covers (velevt rouge)grow outs a fire red and a pigeon blood.
With the fire red and the pigeon blood currently occuping the breeding tank.
So yes the big blue Cobalt named "Snowflake" is Diana's if it is to be breed it will be done by me for now. I think once I get a pair with fry attached to them both of them will want to try their hands at breeding a pair.

Discus-Hans
09-21-2010, 08:07 PM
Tom, it's every were the same, it's technically (and on paper) Joanne's company, Joanne's fish, Joanne's everything............ till work need to be done, than it's all my idea, my business, my fish lol lol lol

Hans

Jennie
09-21-2010, 10:29 PM
who said women weren't smart! :D hmmmm Hans, I think I'd like to meet your wife someday!

Discus-Hans
09-22-2010, 05:46 PM
hmmmm Hans, I think I'd like to meet your wife someday!

Jennie, the ACA is next year in Maryland. A lot of people are still thinking where to take a hotel, close to the show or......... to my fish house lol lol

Joanne will be around.

Hans

Skip
09-22-2010, 05:54 PM
Jennie, the ACA is next year in Maryland. A lot of people are still thinking where to take a hotel, close to the show or......... to my fish house lol lol

Joanne will be around.

Hans

Mr. Hans.. which place will have the better HAPPY HOUR PARTY!? :coffee: :guitarist: :idea: :juggle: :singer::undecided::vomit:

Willie
09-25-2010, 10:27 AM
I'm bring a lawn chair to set up at Hans' fish house and pick out the best fish, for me, me, me....

By the way, here's what the locals thought of Hans' gesture (http://www.midwestcichlid.com/showthread.php?19883-Expo-2010&p=156763#post156763).

Willie

cranford
09-30-2010, 06:56 PM
let me tell you that you cant go wrong with the santarem they are great have 3 at about 12 cm they are great ,, :angel:

CBZOO
10-05-2010, 07:01 AM
Well after listening to Hans's talk about his discus and how they would spawn in show tanks... The pair we brought home spawned and are on their 2nd day guarding their eggs in a totally wrong breeding tank.. they are in a 45 gallon lightly planted tank with 6 WC sterbai cories and yet they have so far managed to keep a spawn going...
This is the male Kobalt my daughter named snowflake.
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/cbzoo/DSC_1710.jpg
This is the female Santarem my daughter named Hope
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/cbzoo/DSC_1714.jpg
and this is their spawn....
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg159/cbzoo/DSC_1730.jpg
Should be an interesting cross... I was not planning on breeding these to to each other but you know nature has its own way of thinking about these things.. Sorry about the water spots.... Did not want to distrub the fish by cleaning the tank.. as a side note the cories were spawing last nite also... I dont think I will rescue the corey eggs untill they get into the breeding tank that I am going to set up for them soon. Maybe sooner than I planned...

aztecdiscus
10-13-2010, 11:49 PM

Joanne will be around.

Hans

WHEN IS IT AND WHERE??? I WOULD LOVE TO GO

Discus-Hans
10-14-2010, 12:21 AM
WHEN IS IT AND WHERE??? I WOULD LOVE TO GO

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?p=688532#post688532

Hans