PDA

View Full Version : Will PP destry Algae?

pinoysport
09-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Just wondering since PP destroys the bio in the tank... will it destroy Algae?

what can you do to control it?

Melissa
09-20-2010, 04:38 PM
Yes. PP is an organic oxidizer.

If your goal is to eradicate the algae... you may need to wipe the dead algae off after you've used the PP, it'll all be brown and yucky..... but i really don't recommend using PP to solve algae problems :p Usually there is an underlying cause like the tank being too close to a window... lots of phosphates in the water etc.
It may be better to determine whats causing the algae problem in the first place.

Melissa
09-20-2010, 04:40 PM
This may help.
(If you're having an algae problem.
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

pinoysport
09-20-2010, 04:44 PM
This may help.
(If you're having an algae problem.
http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/algae.htm

ok ill check it out.. thanks.

nc0gnet0
09-20-2010, 05:37 PM
It's pretty non-effective in a pond for algea, for some reason, hydrogen peroxide does better in that environment. As for a tank, dunno never tried.

Apistomaster
09-21-2010, 06:22 PM
It's pretty non-effective in a pond for algea, for some reason, hydrogen peroxide does better in that environment. As for a tank, dunno never tried.

Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer but as it is used up, all the byproducts are simply H2O+O2. Nothing harmful is left in the water. Just don't use rocket fuel grade hydrogen peroxide!

But finding and correcting the cause of the excessive algae growth is always the best method. Begin by testing nitrate and phosphate levels and reducing the photoperiod.

2wheelsx2
09-21-2010, 06:32 PM
If this is a planted tank, you should do as apistomaster suggested and figure out the source of the problem instead of trying to kill algae. Once you have that figured out, you can do a big water change, and use a 1:10 mixture of Seachem Flourish Excel and water to mist anything with algae on it (what kind of algae do you have) and most kinds will be eradicated pretty quickly.

If this is not a planted tank, do more water changes and reduce the lighting or turn it off. No lights = no algae.

Darrell Ward
09-27-2010, 04:22 PM
If this is a planted tank, you should do as apistomaster suggested and figure out the source of the problem instead of trying to kill algae. Once you have that figured out, you can do a big water change, and use a 1:10 mixture of Seachem Flourish Excel and water to mist anything with algae on it (what kind of algae do you have) and most kinds will be eradicated pretty quickly.

If this is not a planted tank, do more water changes and reduce the lighting or turn it off. No lights = no algae.

I agree. If the tank is dark for a few days, no lights or stray sunshine, all the algae will be dead. Depending on how bad the problem is, some major tank cleaning will be in order. I just got through cleaning up a tank from this. I stuck on a high powered light fixture on a tank because the bulb burned out on the fixture that went with the tank, and left it on there for over a week. I knew better, but was busy with other things, and paid the price for my stupidity by having to kill off the algae, and clean the tank. No need to use PP to kill algae IMO.