PDA

View Full Version : Getting a RO/DI. Best bang for the $$ ?

cybervet
09-20-2010, 04:42 PM
Hi all. I know the debate is ongoing whether to even use RO, but our city water here is extremely hard, off the scale and the chemical odor offends me. I can only imagine how it must be for my finned friends. So ... since I am too lazy to go to Walmart or Hy-Vee to get water refill, I am going to set up my own filtration and storage tank in the basement.

What I want to know is, what is everyone's experience with the main brands of units? Is there really one that is better than the other? Is there any to avoid like the plague? I am looking between a Pure-Flo II 50 GPD and the Spectrapure CSPDI-90. Basically the $150-$200 range, I don't need massive capacity. It appears to me looking around on line that these are the two most popular units.

I am planning to set up a 40-50 gallon roughneck tub with a float valve to store up supply.

Any thoughts &/or advice appreciated. Thanks ...

DiscusOnly
09-20-2010, 05:05 PM
I am currently using the Pure-Flo II 100GPD unit with booster pump. I am very happy with it so far. I originally thought I needed a lot of RO so I actually got 2 of thes units.

I would say that whatever you buy, just make sure parts are easily available.

The only thing bad I can say about the coralife is that for such expensive RO unit, you would think that they would include a water pressure gauge and TDS meter.

AirCapital
09-20-2010, 06:01 PM
most r/o are the same minus the bells and wistles. the bells and wistles are what starts adding in cost. the main part of the r/o is the membrane that the heart of the unit. if you have played around enough with different makes and models you will notice they are pretty much the same , housing, connnectors and such. here is where you will get the best bang for the buck I havent found a cheaper place yet. the unit below for me makes 260gpd with no booster pump and 55psi tap water pressure
http://cgi.ebay.com/Reverse-Osmosis-System-225-GPD-Water-Filter-Aquarium-/390207402581?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5ada2c7255

cybervet
09-21-2010, 08:08 AM
Thanx for the comments,

I am worried about being able to find consumable parts (filter cartridges, etc.). This is why I thought sticking to one of the name brands would be wise. Looking around tho, it seems that they all take standard parts, and can be gotten from many sources. Is this correct?

As far as efficiency, I am concerned about sending massive amounts of waste down the drain. As I said, my tap water is more or less liquid rock (400 ppm +). Our city wells are deep in the limestone bedrock along the Mississippi. I am getting a feeling that there will be no choice for me over waste volumes. It may be necessary to get rid of the large amounts of lime.

BTW, I am loving this forum. Thanx to all who contribute in all the sections.

DiscusOnly
09-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Thanx for the comments,

I am worried about being able to find consumable parts (filter cartridges, etc.). This is why I thought sticking to one of the name brands would be wise. Looking around tho, it seems that they all take standard parts, and can be gotten from many sources. Is this correct?

As far as efficiency, I am concerned about sending massive amounts of waste down the drain. As I said, my tap water is more or less liquid rock (400 ppm +). Our city wells are deep in the limestone bedrock along the Mississippi. I am getting a feeling that there will be no choice for me over waste volumes. It may be necessary to get rid of the large amounts of lime.

BTW, I am loving this forum. Thanx to all who contribute in all the sections.

If you are concern about the amount of waste water, I would not connect multiples RO membrane in parallel like the one AirCapital suggested. You can do two 50gpd membrane in series and that will reduce your waste water.

peterhql
09-21-2010, 11:26 AM
IMO, speed is very important. I purchased a hydro logic 200 gpd from kensfish. Fastest RO Ever.

DiscusOnly
09-21-2010, 11:47 AM
IMO, speed is very important. I purchased a hydro logic 200 gpd from kensfish. Fastest RO Ever.

That's only a 3 stage unit and it will produce high GPD since it uses 2 membrane but cybervet is concern about waste water.

If was was to replace mine RO today, this is what I would get.

http://www.eliteaquaria.com/AIR_WATER_ICE_TYPHOON_III_EXTREME_p/itypx.htm

In my opinion, it comes with everything needed (unless your tap doesn't have enough pressure).

AirCapital
09-21-2010, 12:33 PM
even better yet No waste water.
http://www.ocreef.com/kold_ster-il_hi-flow_three_stage_canister_ro_water_filtration_syst em?category_id=421

cybervet
09-21-2010, 01:34 PM
Well,

I must have mis spoke a bit. I am not fanatically against waste water. I know it is the nature of the beast with RO. I just want the system to be efficient. I noted that the Pure-Flo is 1:3 and the SpectraPure is 1:4. Not a big difference, but over time will add up. Our city water is stupidly over priced and I have my tanks as well as a big ole hot tub (350 gallons every 2 months). I try to think of water usage as I get new toys.

After a lot of searching, I am considering settling on this model...

http://filterdirect.com/product_info.php?cPath=21&products_id=30

I like the dual output for household use as well as aquarium storage. I am wondering how the opinions go on this one. The one thing that bothers me is the first pre filter is a 5 micron. A little coarse compared to some. I would imagine that could be replaced with a 1 micron or even just get a separate pre filter to place in front of the whole unit. Which should also reduce particulates before it even reaches the RODI unit and lengthen service life for the carbons, etc.

Thanx again for the input.

Moriarty
09-22-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi,

I finally made the plunge and got myself a RO filter earlier this year after researching them extensively at Consumer Reports.

The model that I finally decided upon was the Whirlpool Gold WHER25 that I found at Sears being sold under the brand name Kenmore: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_04238156000P?vName=Appliances&cName=WaterCoolers&FilterSystems&sName=Under%20Sink&sid=IDx20070921x00003a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=04238156000P

It was on sale when I got it for about $150, but I think Sears normally sells it for about $170.

This Kenmore filter is made for Sears by Whirlpool. However Sears puts their Kenmore name on it. The cartridges are affordable (especially at Lowes).

The Whirlpool one at Lowes is priced at $150 I think.

Here's what the thing looks like:
http://www.waterfiltersfast.com/thumbnail.asp?file=assets/images/prod_wher25_big.gif&maxx=300&maxy=0

It has a 4 gallon storage tank, and that little faucet that attaches onto your sink has a cool battery powered LED light that blinks when it's time to replace your carbon prefilter.

Speaking of that little faucet, it might not seem like it in the picture, but that faucet really does accent the kitchen sink, and looks really nice once installed IMO.

Out of the nine RO filters that Consumer Reports tested, this one was the only one that cost less than $200, and it was the only one listed as a Consumer Reports "best buy."

Here's how the 9 RO filters that were rated by Consumer Reports, including their prices, and how they scored out of a possible 100 points:

Kinetico K5....................$1800.00...99 out of 100
Coway P-07QL...............$640.00.....90 out of 100
Omni RO2000.................$230.00.....84 out of 100
Kenmore Elite 38556........$300.00.....83 out of 100
Whirlpool Gold WHER25.....$150.00....82 out of 100
Pentek RO-3500..............$260.00....80 out of 100
Culligan AC30..................$900.00....80 out of 100
GE PXRQ15F....................$280.00....76 out of 100
Ecowater ERO-375...........$690.00.....65 out of 100

More often than not you get what you pay for when it comes to things like this, but I've found that is not always true. Especially as it relates to RO filters.

I hope this helps, and I hope I did not violate any forum rules by posting the links above.

ChrisNif
09-22-2010, 02:59 PM
I've been keeping a reef for some time, and with that RO/DI water is of the utmost importance because TDS over 0 will just about ruin a tank (well it's ugly anyway). Air Water Ice and The Filter Guys all make great units but you'll pay for them. I purchased a unit from pure water club (they sell directly from their website which you can google or via ebay). I got he portable 100 gpd portable unit with DI resin and it was like $65. If you only need RO (which is great for f/w fish) then you can get the 63 dollar unit (they take off the DI and add a second carbon chamber) or for like $75 you get the unit plus an extra set of filters. They use standard size filters (for portable units) so you can get replacements easily but they've been around a while so I'd not be too worried about that.

They will include either a faucet adapter or a saddle valve depending on if you want to use it from a sink faucet or from the water pipe.

My 100 GPD unit fills a 5 gallon jug in about an hour (a bit quicker as I'm always spilling over, thank god I use the sink to fill).