PDA

View Full Version : What should I do?

KenRc51
09-21-2010, 07:06 PM
Hey guys I'm Ken and a new member here. I have kept Discus for over 15 years.

I have 5 adult discus (about 5 years old) in an 80 gallon bare bottom tank as you can see in picture. Recently I have a pair of discus that started to lay eggs. The first time it lay eggs was about 1 week ago and it hatched in 3-4 days, forgot how long it took. The fries only survived for 4 day until I think they got eaten by their parents of other discus in tank. Just today as I was doing a water change I noticed some eggs on the driftwood.

I have a 60 gallon that is not in use that I can probably set up in a few hours. Should I take the drift wood out and net the parents to the 60 gallon tank?

Should I use sponge filter only in the fry tank?

FYI, non of my discus layied egg in the past because I have always kept tank mates with the discus cardinal tetra, arowana, etc...
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/kenrc51/Fish/DSC_1058.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/kenrc51/Fish/DSC_1061.jpg
http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s252/kenrc51/Fish/DSC_1069.jpg

The parents are on the second and last picture. It the Marlboro red and the I think leopard skin (correct me if I'm wrong).

Eddie
09-21-2010, 09:47 PM
Looks like a Red Melon and a LSS.

You can use the 60 if you wanted, its a ton of space but it can be done. Be better if you could get a smaller tank or partition the 60 with a poret foam divider.

Yes a single sponge filter would suffice. Sometimes you can actually move the pair and eggs to the new tank and they'll take care of them. Its risky but has worked for some.

Eddie

deepflyball
09-21-2010, 10:13 PM
Eddies right the 60 gal is to big,most use a 29 gal. What happens when they go free swimming, they are all over the place. And you will lose alot of them because they dont lattch on to mom and dad.

Jerry

Jennie
09-21-2010, 10:42 PM
didn't I read that the eggs cannot be exposed to air during the move?

DerekFF
09-21-2010, 11:41 PM
They can, but cant let be dried out. In a post i asked that too and the majority response was that a minute or so out of water was fine. I did it for about 30secs and everything was fine.

Jennie
09-22-2010, 07:14 AM
Yep It was either your post or Liz, joan...someone? lol

KenRc51
09-22-2010, 05:26 PM
So, when I seperate them I should still do a regular 2-3 times a week water change? Won't that scare the parents and cause them to eat the fries or eggs?

Tito
09-22-2010, 08:35 PM
So, when I seperate them I should still do a regular 2-3 times a week water change? Won't that scare the parents and cause them to eat the fries or eggs?

Dont chage the water and dont feed parents may keep the eggs.

I have done lots of water changes in my community with eggs on the intakes and the always hatch. But I never let the eggs go dry since I refill in a few minutes.

By the way - I wonder what that combo would throw???

Eddie
09-26-2010, 07:30 PM
didn't I read that the eggs cannot be exposed to air during the move?

No, the eggs can be exposed to air, they just can't be left out too long.