PDA

View Full Version : Flourite: Sand vs Clay Gravel

JaVia
09-22-2010, 08:49 AM
Hey!

So I need some suggestions/opinions.
Currently in my planted tank I have a flourite red clay bottom. I am getting a new tank this week or next and I will be planting it also.
I saw a picture I LOVED which had the black sand on the bottom. I prefer to use flourite for my plants since I do not use Co2.

Or should I use possibly a black gravel for an inch or so them sand on top to help the roots? I would love suggestions. I am new to the planted tank work but I love it!

Right now I have a few crypts, swords, and I can not think of the other two, sorry I am sick at the moment. I heard swords do not to well with plain sand, but is the flourite sand any different.

So does anyone have pros or cons, suggestions, or experiences?

The tanK I am looking at is a 65 gallon tall tank if that helps to work off.

Altum Nut
09-22-2010, 09:07 AM
Hey Jen,

I'm not one to offer technical advise...The plants you currently have will be fine with sand. If you are keeping Discus, the sand is better as it will not allow uneaten foods or fish feces to settle in gravel making it easier to clean. With the sand...you would have to add root fert tabs. I never heard of Flourite Sand.
If I know better...black sand is actually quartz (3-M) which may alter your ph.
Other more experienced plant keepers may step in as well.
Good luck with your decision,

...Ralph

JaVia
09-22-2010, 05:52 PM
I wasnt sure if I should put maybe an inch or less of gravel so that the roots are not so compacted them put about 2 - 3 inches of sand in.... I have no clue. I am just hoping for advice. And how easy is sand to clean (vacuum)?

Thanks

This is the stuff I was looking at.
http://www.seachem.com/Products/product_pages/FlouriteBlackSand.html

Seachem Flourite Black Sand - 7 kg - 15.4 lb.

Flourite Black Sand is a specially fracted, stable porous clay gravel for the natural planted aquarium. Its appearance is best suited to planted aquaria, but may be used in any aquarium environment. Flourite Black Sand is most effective when used alone as an integral substrate bed, but it may be mixed with other gravels. Gravel modifiers such as laterite are not necessary. Flourite Black Sand is not chemically coated or treated and will not alter the pH of the water.Although pre-washed, it may be rinsed before use to remove residual dust. Dust can also be minimized by filling aquarium slowly and dispersing water so that the Flourite Black… more »

Altum Nut
09-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Hey Jen,

There are a couple of factors to consider.
Its weight is heavier than regular pool filter sand so you should not have an issue as long as you use a wider diameter on your vacuum devise when your siphoning or just keep it just above the surface. You can also consider getting some snails to borrow through sand to keep it loose.
The other factor to think about is the strain of Discus you plan to keep if it is Discus you are setting it up for. The dark colour sand will show a lot of peppering on particular strains.
Not sure if any of this has helped you any, but good luck and post some pics when your all set-up.

…Ralph

JaVia
09-23-2010, 09:14 AM
Eh, I completely forgot that I read that.... So what about a bright background with a darker bottom... I am planning on having ALOT of larger plants which will bring color to them too I hope.... I do not mind peppering,but I want them to be lighter sometimes.

Harriett
09-23-2010, 03:39 PM
Jennifer, I posted on your other thread, so please take a look at that. You mentioned you are concerned that swords would not do well in sand--they can do very well indeed. Most Echinodorus species are heavy root feeders, so all you gotta do is root feed them! Use the little fertilizer gumdrop shaped things that Flourish makes--they cost a bit but last for months--I break them into pieces and sink them around the sand substrate as deep as possible--the roots will find them and all will be well. I have big clumps of crypts in the front of my tank and I have been really pleased with how the root systems have taken off like bandits in my pool sand substrate--really, it is so cheap and such a good fix--a 50 lb bag will do it for your 65g tank--for $7, you have to at least give it a try! Put some research into learning about macro and micro nutrients and how to dose your tank properly and it will be gorgeous.
Best regards,
Harriett

JaVia
09-23-2010, 10:30 PM
Alright everyone, here goes...

Tonight I picked up my 65 gallon tank with stand, filter, heater and so on, for a STEAL.

I am beyond excited, I started it cycling with some water from a current tank, a few biological chemicals, and the old filter. Tomorrow I am going to buy the sand (I looked tonight but my husband was ready to get home) So... I am going out of town next week and will be gone for two weeks. When I get home, LET THE PLANTING BEGIN!

Thank you so much for all the advice, I decided to go with pool sand and use plenty of ferts and additives.

WOO HOO. Discus will be picked up sometime in October, depending if the tank is ready if not they will go in the older set up tank..... YAY