PDA

View Full Version : How long can Discus Breed?

yourhero5002
09-22-2010, 09:47 PM
Just wondering, How long (or short) can a pair keep breeding?

I know all discus are different but I just want to know how long on average can a pair keep breeding before they "retire."

My juvies are growing up right now and a few have paired off it seems. Just want to see a time frame.

Moon
09-22-2010, 10:30 PM
I have a turq female that is 8 years old. She spawns regularly.

yourhero5002
09-22-2010, 10:38 PM
I have a turq female that is 8 years old. She spawns regularly.

Oh wow. 8 yrs? And the batches turn out nice most of the time?

kaceyo
09-23-2010, 03:21 PM
I'd be curious to find out how old the oldest male that anyone has had that was still fertilizing eggs. Or, at what age peoples fertile males lost their fertility.

Moon
09-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Oh wow. 8 yrs? And the batches turn out nice most of the time?

She still lays alright but the male I have for her (RSG) is not doing his job. So the hatch rate is small. The last batch had only 10 fry. He takes over the fanning and raising fry after the eggs are laid. Won't let her near the fry.

Moon
09-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I'd be curious to find out how old the oldest male that anyone has had that was still fertilizing eggs. Or, at what age peoples fertile males lost their fertility.

Kacey
The oldest male I have is about 5 years. He is fertile but is so keen to take over the spawn that he stops fertilising after a few runs.

kaceyo
09-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Kacey
The oldest male I have is about 5 years. He is fertile but is so keen to take over the spawn that he stops fertilising after a few runs.

These kinds of problems are very frustrating, I know. It's like the male that is so eager to spawn that he bullies the female into a corner. I hate that, lol!!!

Inland Empire Discus
09-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I had a blue diamond pair awhile back that was still breeding at 7 years of age. Male was still fertilizing about 100 eggs out of about 250 that the female laid.

Bill

Rod
09-23-2010, 05:54 PM
Best breeding is between 1 year and about 4 years of age in my experience. Many keep spawning after 4 years, but the rate drops off somewhat sharply after this time in many cases. I had a pair of blue turks several years ago that were still spawning well at 6 years, but i think this is an exception rather than the general rule of thumb.

vera
09-23-2010, 07:04 PM
Same here Rod , after 4 years males loose the magic dzing :o

Moon
09-23-2010, 07:24 PM
Just like humans

Ibenu
09-23-2010, 07:39 PM
So what age do they begin to spawn? I read some take till as long as three which would read one good year of spawns? As that doeantnsound right I'd like to ad to the question what are the spawning years to and from...

Keith Perkins
09-23-2010, 08:30 PM
Three sounds awfully old to start, but it could be depending on type I suppose. I've had marlboros, RTs, and BDs all start right at about 1, or even slightly before. I think I've read some types are 18 to 24 months before they start, but that's the oldest I remember ever reading of.

yourhero5002
09-23-2010, 08:57 PM
She still lays alright but the male I have for her (RSG) is not doing his job. So the hatch rate is small. The last batch had only 10 fry. He takes over the fanning and raising fry after the eggs are laid. Won't let her near the fry.

Seems like he still gots a lil bit of that magic juice left haha

so i guess at about age 4 seems to be the 'average'

Discus-Hans
09-23-2010, 08:59 PM
My experience is the females have the most eggs between 1 and 4 years, than the numbers of eggs are get smaller. Still good amounts till about 6 but not as many as between 1 and 4.

For males, a good male is most of the time 2 years and up, had older males 7 ~ 8 still doing a good job.

Back in Holland I even had a head stander, beautiful male, always face down, turned up to do his job and was venting the eggs up side down.

Hans

yourhero5002
09-24-2010, 03:03 PM
My experience is the females have the most eggs between 1 and 4 years, than the numbers of eggs are get smaller. Still good amounts till about 6 but not as many as between 1 and 4.

For males, a good male is most of the time 2 years and up, had older males 7 ~ 8 still doing a good job.

Back in Holland I even had a head stander, beautiful male, always face down, turned up to do his job and was venting the eggs up side down.

Hans

That is one skilled fish daddy

kaceyo
09-24-2010, 03:23 PM

Hans

That's great Hans. Do the wrigglers end up being "belly side up" on the cone?;)