PDA

View Full Version : Mixing discus adult and juvies

cosmodude12
09-23-2010, 02:05 AM
Is it good to mix 4"- 6" discus with 2.5"-3.5" discus in the same tank? I wonder if there would be a bully harassing the little guy. Would that stunt their growth?

prabuddhasarkar
09-23-2010, 05:36 AM
Yes,it is a problem.the bigger ones will continue to bully smaller or weaker ones.I have 4-5.5inch 4 discus along with a 2.5inch LSS.due to stress it always goes and stays at the back.and become darker.it is advisabe to keep atleast6discus so that the aggression is devided.and when it comes to the little one it become stressed.if u dnt have any option to remove the smaller one,just make sure that it eats properly.that u have2watch carefully.and increase the feeding number per day ane good WC per day.I think this will help.
Prabuddha Sarkar

Skip
09-23-2010, 06:50 AM
my two smaller blue diamonds bully my larger PB... its kind of funny to watch.. i don't think size makes the pecking order.. at least thats what i have noticed.. maybe they have "LITTLE DISCUS SYNDROME". :D

Dudley Eirich
09-23-2010, 10:03 AM
I have some 1-1.5" leopard snakeskins in with some 2.5-3" marlboros. The snakeskins are much more aggressive than the marlboros. The marlboros never push or nip at each other and never bother the littler snakeskins. The snakeskins are frequently jostling for dominance, especially at feeding time. I think there was an earlier post that discussed strain differences with regard to dominance characteristics. That may also be a factor in addition to size.

mathao
09-24-2010, 01:37 PM
because of lack of space i have from the range of 1 inch to 5 inch living together and all are getting along, the small ones are left alone by the bigger ones for some reason, but they are all one strain, so that might be it.

YSS
09-24-2010, 04:03 PM
In my experiences, fighting occurs mostly between similar sized discus. I am guessing that bigger discus don't really consider smaller discus rivals and leave them alone. Also, the juvies and young adults fight more than full grown adults.

cosmodude12
10-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I have four 6" discus and its funny to see the 3" one bullying them. haha

DerekFF
10-15-2010, 01:23 PM
I think like all cichlids, if theres enough of them to spread the aggression......it really doesnt matter. Except maybe for breeding pairs....then everyones life is in danger lol

csarkar001
10-15-2010, 04:30 PM
well, you've got every opinion possible expressed so far in this thread.

my own experience is that mixing sizes is not a good idea and that your smaller discus will not grow as fast.

discgo
10-15-2010, 09:58 PM
Greetings,
Anyone familiar with notion that the larger fish emit a growth-inhibiting hormone in small environments that, in addition to their bullying at feeding time, actually keeps smaller fish from increasing in size?
Thanks, Rod

mathao
10-15-2010, 11:32 PM
Greetings,
Anyone familiar with notion that the larger fish emit a growth-inhibiting hormone in small environments that, in addition to their bullying at feeding time, actually keeps smaller fish from increasing in size?
Thanks, Rod

yep thats why we do large amounts of water changes a few times a week

snowflake311
10-16-2010, 12:17 AM
In my experiences, fighting occurs mostly between similar sized discus. I am guessing that bigger discus don't really consider smaller discus rivals and leave them alone. Also, the juvies and young adults fight more than full grown adults.

I find this to be also true for other cichlids. The smaller fish are not seen as a threat to the larger ones and are often left alone. BUT simular sized fish will fight to see who is the strongest.

ockyra215
10-16-2010, 10:51 AM
I have had in the past tanks full of adults and a couple juvies in with them.I would at least try to spread the food around so the little guys eat more.But if you can do it id seperate the adults and juvies this way the juvies get more food and not bullied.JMO:D

rppr21
10-18-2010, 04:25 AM
i beleave is all about personallyties, i just get 7 wilds 2.5 with my 6inches fishs and is all good, the only fight i see happen is betwen them wilds , the big ones dont even boder them.

victor_r
10-31-2010, 06:26 PM
i have had no problem with mine i got two larger ones around 4 inches and four smaller ones around 2 inches one of the smaller ones i have usually chacesthe bigger ones i did have my four smaller ones first then added the bigger ones to them i dont think i would add juvies to adults though

Willie
10-31-2010, 07:56 PM
Greetings,
Thanks, Rod

Although this has been postulated in many discus books, there's absolutely no evidence that this is true. There are no hormones that science is not aware of.

Having said that, I never keep large and small discus together. My sense is that the small ones don't grow as well. But, of course, I have no proof.

Willie

discus_novice
11-01-2010, 09:05 PM
i like to say if you add juvenile discus along with the adults the quarentine the juvenile discus very well.once,they are perfectly quarentined they will be healthy and hungry.i think a healthy and hurgry discus will not create any problem with the adults.though there will be obviously some exceptions.
but for safe side,i'll always say that mixing adults and juvies will not be a best option.