PDA

View Full Version : Recycling used tank water

Kiro
09-23-2010, 03:19 AM
Hi,

This question may be crazy as hell but..

Can I filter my old nitrate-laden tank water back through a (heavy duty) RO unit or some other filter equipment to be used again in my tanks or would this destroy my RO unit or do something else unforseenly evil?

Thanks

NunoDinis
09-23-2010, 06:33 AM
I think you won't gain to much,

The RO unit will be overcharged because of the dirty in the tank water.
IMO it would be more suitable to use a sediment filter, and an activated carbon pre filter(first the sediment, then the carbon). it should remove most of the nitrate in the water and you would waiste any water like RO does.
And then you could use prime in the water to remove the remaining issues.

Though you could try first and then measure your water parameters(amonia, nitrite, nitrates,...).

IMO you dont need the RO membrane, dont forget the water pressure is obviously very important.

Just my 2cts.

Skip
09-23-2010, 06:52 AM
one of the hobbyist told he he uses his RO water from this breeding tanks to put back into the non breeding larger tanks.. i thought that was interesting.. :alien:

NunoDinis
09-23-2010, 07:07 AM
one of the hobbyist told he he uses his RO water from this breeding tanks to put back into the non breeding larger tanks.. i thought that was interesting.. :alien:

Actually it could be a solution, though it's distinct.
The RO waiste goes through a sediment filter, then an activated carbon filter, and finally the RO membrane(The 3 stages ones) wich splits into waiste and pure water, so this means that part of the nitrates and particles get filtered by the first to components, the RO membrane, removes solids that get through the first and second stage.

So you would have good water but the hardeness and PH should be very similar to TAP(slightly lower perhaps).

RO is mostly used when you have very poor quality TAP, and when you want to lower your TDS.

Moriarty
09-23-2010, 10:26 AM
I use my used water to water my roses outside, and my houseplants.

It's really good for them, and I know that the plants really benefit from the nitrogen in the used water.

Kiro
09-23-2010, 12:04 PM
Woah, I was half expected to be dragged off to the nuthouse, but I guess it wasn't that crazy an idea afterall.

Thanks guys :P

DerekFF
09-24-2010, 12:11 AM
Lotta peeps around here use their RO waste and even waste water from WC's to water the garden/lawn. WC water has lotta poo/food thats good for grass/plants!

aalbina
09-24-2010, 08:38 AM
I have the waster line running out the basement window into a big 66 gallon plastic trash can. I put a garden hose valve at the bottom of the trash can and my wife uses the waste RO water to water the gardens on that side of the house. (She has a rain barrel on the other side of the house.)

It does seem odd that my discus are living in cleaner water than I drink...

Adam

vera
09-24-2010, 08:51 AM
It does seem odd that my discus are living in cleaner water than I drink...

Adam

Want to b a Discus ???LOL
Adam have u ever run test on that water that u collect in can from RO waste

aalbina
09-24-2010, 10:17 AM
Want to b a Discus ???LOL
Adam have u ever run test on that water that u collect in can from RO waste

Yep - it's great water with only a higher TDS.

Limpiafondo
09-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Hi
Another possibility is a ultrafiltration membrane(ceramic membrane).Donīt remove salt but isnīt important because is a aquarium water diskus(with a few salt).This membrane only remove organic contamination.You only need a pump for the pressure and sediment filter.This membrane filter all the water,there isnīt waster.