PDA

View Full Version : Growing Discus

Colorado14erGuy
09-23-2010, 02:04 PM
Do discus stop growing after a certain age? If so, what age?

Discus master
09-23-2010, 02:26 PM
Do discus stop growing after a certain age? If so, what age?

I hear its around the 12 month age, after a year thats about it. Sexual mature in 12 - 18 months.:)

Jhhnn
09-23-2010, 10:19 PM
Hans says that they'll grow until they're 18 months old or so, if at a slower rate once they reach 12 months. Once they're 2 years old, they're definitely full grown.

That confirms my own experience. It really takes a *lot* of food to keep them growing past 1 year. The actual difference in mass between a 5" discus and a 6" discus is quite large, I suspect, so I've kept mine stuffed until they're 18 months or so with seemingly good results.

Eddie
09-26-2010, 05:30 AM
Hans says that they'll grow until they're 18 months old or so, if at a slower rate once they reach 12 months. Once they're 2 years old, they're definitely full grown.

That confirms my own experience. It really takes a *lot* of food to keep them growing past 1 year. The actual difference in mass between a 5" discus and a 6" discus is quite large, I suspect, so I've kept mine stuffed until they're 18 months or so with seemingly good results.

Ditto

Discus master
09-27-2010, 10:54 AM
So more or less a year is basically it, unless you stuff them for the additinal 6 months to maybe sqeez out another inch if your lucky? Yeah thats why I said basically after a year their done, or at least pretty much done. I am not there yet my self and my discus are getting to be a decent size I am trying to do what I can before I hit that one year mark. Plenty of varied food and lots o water changes, we will see how I made out by late winter early spring time.

Skip
09-27-2010, 03:30 PM
gosh, i wish my juvies would grow out already!!!

i have at least
10 Brilliant Turq (yim11)
10 Leopard SS (deepflyball)
10 Flachen x Snakeskin (TCT)
1 santarem x virgin red (TCT)

i am getting impatient with them.. they are grown a lot in the last 3 weeks.. but still, i think i am at a point, where i know what strains i like and will probably stick to getting larger fish..

but maybe not!!

i just hope i get at least 1 pair from each type...

about what size do they start pairing off..??

Tito
09-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I better see every SD member post something on this thread! Unless the majority have pups LOL

Mine have pretty much grown all they can and they are reaching their 2nd anniversary.

Discus master
09-28-2010, 11:31 AM
I better see every SD member post something on this thread! Unless the majority have pups LOL

Mine have pretty much grown all they can and they are reaching their 2nd anniversary.

Hey i did make my post early on, you know I am an active meber, lol:D