After 50% water change which Iv been doing every day since monday

Ph - 6.8
Nitrate - 0
Nitrite - 0
Phosphate - 0
Ammonia - 0
Kh - less then 1 degree
temp 84

Some one from the "discus for beginners" recommended I post in this forum for help.

My 45 (45'' 12'' 18'') gallon planted tank has been running for 9 months with tetras and has always been intended for discus. I picked up five approx. 3'' domestic Discus on Saturday none of which have eaten yet except for one. The one that ate is the most aggressive and hangs out out on one side of my tank while the others hang out on the other side. None of them do much swimming around unless there being chased by the most aggressive fish. Also it looks like the aggressive fish either has excess slime coat or lack of slime coat on his back half? no idea what this is? So my questions are :
1. What's up with my most aggressive fish slime coat?
2. Are my discus still settling into there new home?
3. Should I move the most aggressive fish into a spare 20 gallon until my other fish start acting normal?

aalbina
09-24-2010, 08:44 AM
It will really help the smart folks here if you go to this link: http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=38545 and copy the text of the questionnaire. (It's in the stickies in this forum) Then paste it into your post and answer the questions. Be sure to include the information about C02 injecting etc. I'm sure you'll get a better response - best of luck!

Adam

SGmenace
09-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I believe Iv answered all of those questions with what I wrote above but Ill fill it out.

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started
Most aggressive fish is eating and bullying my other 4 which are not eating and staying in one spot of the tank for most of the day. The most aggressive one Either has excess slime coat or missing slime coat on his back half.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)
The Discus are darker then they were at the store. The one looks like he has excess or lack of slime coat. I haven't seen any poop because they haven't been eating. Other then that they seem normal aside from staying in one spot of the tank most of the day.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.
I started a Metronidazole treatment on the whole tank but was advised to stop treatments until they are more settled in.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish
45 gallon planted been running with tetras in it for 9 + months. Five 3 inch discus.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?
Doing 50% water changes everyday. Do not age my water.

6 Parameters and water source;
See above for parameters

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
All new fish as of saturday

Ps. I stopped injecting C02 for now because it was dropping my Ph too low and creating too much of a difference between my tap water and tank water for ease of water changes.

Eddie
09-26-2010, 04:27 AM
Could be the swift drop in PH causing the slimecoat to come off. Can you get some pictures? Good move on stopping the medication on new fish.

Eddie