PDA

View Full Version : dark ring leopard

kitykatfunkiehat
09-24-2010, 02:46 PM
Hey guys.

So a few days ago I noticed one of my discus was a little on the dark side, so I did a water change and added salt. He seemed okay, no physical symptoms or anything other than the color.
He now looks a little bit bloated, but won't eat (I've been feeding them all the Angel Plus flakes this week) so I added epsom salt..which hasn't helped yet.
He's darker, but swimming fine, and clamping his top and bottom fins a little bit. His nose area almost looks dented too.
I'm thinking worms, but I don't know what to treat with. Ideas?

Thanks!
Jenna

boxters
09-24-2010, 11:51 PM
Have you moved it to a quarantine tank

Ardan
09-25-2010, 07:02 AM
If it is actually bloated and hasn't responded to epsom salt, then Kanamyacin is needed imo.

Try frozen blood worms to get it to eat.

If it is not bloated, then increase the temp close to 90F. Make sure no nitrite or ammonia.
Bare bottom tank, kept spotless. If not bloated then wc's daily.

hth
Ardan

kitykatfunkiehat
09-28-2010, 10:11 PM
Alright-he's in his own hospital tank. The temperature increase wasn't working for him. Today I noticed some little white poofs around his nose, and concluded it may be a fungus, so I'm treating with Jungle Labs Fungus Clear (this is miracle sh*t! cured my half dead discus months ago). If it doesn't work, I'll probably give him a two or three day break from meds, just clean water, and then I'll try kanamyacin. The only thing is, kanamyacin isn't readily available in stores...any other medicines close to it? Or what it is disguised as?

Eddie
09-28-2010, 10:40 PM
Alright-he's in his own hospital tank. The temperature increase wasn't working for him. Today I noticed some little white poofs around his nose, and concluded it may be a fungus, so I'm treating with Jungle Labs Fungus Clear (this is miracle sh*t! cured my half dead discus months ago). If it doesn't work, I'll probably give him a two or three day break from meds, just clean water, and then I'll try kanamyacin. The only thing is, kanamyacin isn't readily available in stores...any other medicines close to it? Or what it is disguised as?

Furan-2 or Maracyn 2 can be used but Kana is the more effective in dealing with internal bacteria infections.

kitykatfunkiehat
09-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Maracyn 2 is a hop skip and a jump away! Woo hoo! I could try that before the kanamyacin, while I order kanamycin and wait for it to arrive at least.

Eddie
09-28-2010, 11:58 PM
Maracyn 2 is a hop skip and a jump away! Woo hoo! I could try that before the kanamyacin, while I order kanamycin and wait for it to arrive at least.

Cool, just make sure you complete a treatment course. Don't start M2 and then switch to Kana. Finish a complete M2 treatment and only if the fish did not respond to the M2, then might decide to treat with the Kanamycin.

HTH

Eddie

DerekFF
09-29-2010, 12:04 AM
Hey Jen, yeah like eddie said furan2/maracyn 2 are both good alternatives. I had a bloat problem a few weeks back and use furan2+epsom salts and it made up poo like savages and within about 2 days their bloat was gone and i finished out the F2 recommended dose frame and they went back into the tank good as new. Heck they even laid eggs for me a week ago! And lots of clean water as youve been doing. Hope he gets better, kinda sounds like my guys, but without the white spots.

kitykatfunkiehat
09-29-2010, 09:28 AM
The fungus clear cleaned up the white puffs overnight! His color returned, a little bit, so I am going to give him fresh clean water today and a dose of salt, because he does seem stressed. I'll give him a break, and then I'll use my maracyn 2, or I'll try to find furan 2. These are mixable with salt, correct?

Eddie
09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
The fungus clear cleaned up the white puffs overnight! His color returned, a little bit, so I am going to give him fresh clean water today and a dose of salt, because he does seem stressed. I'll give him a break, and then I'll use my maracyn 2, or I'll try to find furan 2. These are mixable with salt, correct?

Yes but I don't generally use salt when treating bloated fish, only epsom salt.

kitykatfunkiehat
09-30-2010, 12:00 AM
Okay, works for me

kitykatfunkiehat
10-04-2010, 06:47 PM
Okay, so after treating with Maracyn 2 for the full treatment, I discover yesterday that he has holes in his head, and near his eyes. They have white stuff in some of them, but it doesn't seem like puss. I have General Cure which has 250mg metro and 75mg prazi per packet, and I'm going to treat with that.
He's also extremely bloated, so I changed all of the water today and added 2 tablespoons of epsom per gallon and the appropriate dosage of meds. I'm going to increase the temperature as well.
He looked like death this morning, but within a few hours of adding the epsom and meds he does seem to have perked up a little bit. Hopefully this works!

I feel like I can never tell what the #$%^ is wrong with my fish until it becomes really noticeable! Ugh

Eddie
10-04-2010, 09:32 PM
Okay, so after treating with Maracyn 2 for the full treatment, I discover yesterday that he has holes in his head, and near his eyes. They have white stuff in some of them, but it doesn't seem like puss. I have General Cure which has 250mg metro and 75mg prazi per packet, and I'm going to treat with that.
He's also extremely bloated, so I changed all of the water today and added 2 tablespoons of epsom per gallon and the appropriate dosage of meds. I'm going to increase the temperature as well.
He looked like death this morning, but within a few hours of adding the epsom and meds he does seem to have perked up a little bit. Hopefully this works!

I feel like I can never tell what the #$%^ is wrong with my fish until it becomes really noticeable! Ugh

Sorry to hear Jenna, bloat can get serious fast. Kanamycin is one of the best antibiotics on the market for this problem and I would use it over M2. Sounds like the fish is getting weaker and other issues are arising. Hopefully it pulls through.

All the best,

Eddie

kitykatfunkiehat
10-04-2010, 10:14 PM
Apparently he died tonight. Crap.

Tito
10-04-2010, 10:20 PM

What bothers me is that ...and I maybe wrong - if I am my bad - but it sounds to me from your words that you have have had a few sick fish over some time.

kitykatfunkiehat
10-04-2010, 10:28 PM
I have..when I first started discus keeping. Two died from a freak outbreak in less than a day's worth basically, I couldn't do anything about it. The third that had caught whatever they had, caught it later and I was able to treat it, and he is now healthy and happy. This one kinda just had mixed symptoms that I couldn't pinpoint and by this point I guess was too late. It's not like I have bad discus keeping skills, I keep everything spotless, feed all the recommended foods...I guess I just got a little unlucky and am pretty bad at diagnosing things.

Eddie
10-05-2010, 12:42 AM

So sorry to hear Jenna, internal issues can be tough to deal with. You tried and thats what matters.

All the best with the rest,

Eddie