PDA

View Full Version : Cascade 300 - Carbon - Good or Bad

JaVia
09-24-2010, 04:41 PM
Ok, So last night I got a 65 gallon tall tank. They had a Cascade 300 HOB filter with it. So when I started researching the filter I noticed there are no choices for inserts and they all have carbon. So the question is, is carbon safe? Or would I need to make my own filter inserts? Does anyone have any experience making their own inserts with this filter? I know there is a lot of controversy behind this question but I would love to here personal experience and if anyone else has used this filter.

Right now the tank is cycling, it has 50lbs of pool filter sand, but I am planning on picking up another 50 tomorrow. I am planning on having this as a planted tank.

So another question. The Cascade 300 has a rate of 300 gph, is that enough for what I need?
I am planning on about 6 discus with a few little friends and daily water changes except 1 or 2 days a week it would be every other day.

Ardan
09-25-2010, 07:13 AM
Can your filter use a sponge? http://www.animalworldnetwork.com/cainfi300reb.html

With daily wc's I never use charcoal, just sponges.

hth
Ardan

JaVia
09-25-2010, 09:51 AM
No, that only works for the internal. I guess I am going to have to try making inserts but I was curious if carbon was bad and if so what it does..

Discus master
09-27-2010, 02:02 PM
No, that only works for the internal. I guess I am going to have to try making inserts but I was curious if carbon was bad and if so what it does..

I would just use a filter pad you can cut it for what you need and use a bag of Purigin. I do not know what you would do for your BIO material though. I am not familiar with this type of HOB I use a cascade 1000 canister filter on my 55 I can put whatever I want into this. Is the 300 hOB you are talking about large enough for a 65 gallon? and what type of bIO material is sold for it?

DiscusOnly
09-27-2010, 03:11 PM
Ok, So last night I got a 65 gallon tall tank. They had a Cascade 300 HOB filter with it. So when I started researching the filter I noticed there are no choices for inserts and they all have carbon. So the question is, is carbon safe? Or would I need to make my own filter inserts? Does anyone have any experience making their own inserts with this filter? I know there is a lot of controversy behind this question but I would love to here personal experience and if anyone else has used this filter.

Right now the tank is cycling, it has 50lbs of pool filter sand, but I am planning on picking up another 50 tomorrow. I am planning on having this as a planted tank.

So another question. The Cascade 300 has a rate of 300 gph, is that enough for what I need?
I am planning on about 6 discus with a few little friends and daily water changes except 1 or 2 days a week it would be every other day.

I have a few of these filters, even 2 brand new ones and IMHO, they are junk. They don't allow allow surface area for bio. It's sleek looking and that's about it. I think it's fine if you need a filter for a 20-30 gal tank but not for discus. The all-in-one replacement cartridge are a joke and expensive. I couldn't even sell these for $10.

You are better off with an aquaclear AC70 instead. I've look into modifying the bio-media for this filter but to me, it's just not worth it.

Van