PDA

View Full Version : what is the best FILTER system??????

MrYin
09-24-2010, 09:13 PM
hey just wondering what the best filter system that you have come across or heard of is. im using ac power filter right now. thinking of doing canister. should i stay with the ac or swap over. i run 2 sponges and biomodules with a prefilter on all my tanks. seems to be working but you know.......always looking into other options:D

roclement
09-24-2010, 09:20 PM
water changes!

Rodrigo

alpine
09-24-2010, 11:35 PM
:D

MrYin
09-25-2010, 12:09 AM
water changes!

Rodrigo

im doing 100% wc once a day.....i dont want you to have the wrong idea. i am just asking for an opinion. if you cant give one then why post anything at all? :confused:

Altum Nut
09-25-2010, 12:18 AM
im doing 100% wc once a day.....i dont want you to have the wrong idea. i am just asking for an opinion. if you cant give one then why post anything at all? :confused:

Rodrigo is not joking around.
Have you ever seen his breeding tanks.
Sponge filter stalk, Airline but no sponge.
He never meant it as a joke. 100% W/C

You may want to share a little more info on your tank sizes
...Ralph

MrYin
09-25-2010, 09:16 AM
Rodrigo is not joking around.
Have you ever seen his breeding tanks.
Sponge filter stalk, Airline but no sponge.
He never meant it as a joke. 100% W/C

You may want to share a little more info on your tank sizes
...Ralph

hmmm. ok. i do water changes daily....except in my planted tank. i do those once a week. my water looks great, just wanted to know about filter systems is all.

lhiraman
09-25-2010, 09:46 AM
I started doing water changes everyday as well! I was doing it every 2 days but I noticed a difference once I started doing the water changes.

peterhql
09-25-2010, 10:44 AM
I've used these canisters,
Fluval FX5
Eheim 2026/2028
Eheim 2078 3e

whats my favorite filter?

Aquaclear 110 and Aquaclear 70
Why?
Properly cleaning canisters is the most horrible terrible thing in the world to do. No dirty hoses (no bacteria mulm snow showers). God I hate cleaning canisters. With an Aquaclear I just put the media in some tank water and take the rest of it to the sink. I'm done in less than five minutes and the filter is spotless. With a canister filter who knows how clean you really get it.

Ugh, cleaning canisters are horrible and prefilters only delay the inevitable.

csarkar001
09-25-2010, 11:09 AM
i do 3 x 25% daily (automated) water changes. more than once i have been tempted to turn off my canister filter because i suspect it doesnt do anything for me.

only fear of discus loss keeps me from trying it. even though my gut says that with this aggressive a water change schedule, my cannister is providing no added value.

peterhql
09-25-2010, 11:28 AM
You probably don't need the canister. Yet at the same time, with 3x daily water changes, your canister is probably never really getting much gunk caught up inside either. Very low maintenance, def can't hurt to have the backup.

jduboscarf
09-25-2010, 12:13 PM
Growing up in LA there was a little old Japanese man who had an aquarium store in Korea town. He never, ever cleaned his filter, he even had plants growing out of the HOB. If I remember he never did water changes either. He would dissuade the customer from cleaning the filter. He would bring out old aquarium keeping mags to back up his statements. At that time I went with a planted tank, minimal water changes and fish looked great. This time, I'm doing simply method, the only real dif I see are fish growing out faster. Thought I would throw that out there regarding filters and opinions.

MrYin
09-25-2010, 12:48 PM
I've used these canisters,
Fluval FX5
Eheim 2026/2028
Eheim 2078 3e

Why?
Properly cleaning canisters is the most horrible terrible thing in the world to do. No dirty hoses (no bacteria mulm snow showers). God I hate cleaning canisters. With an Aquaclear I just put the media in some tank water and take the rest of it to the sink. I'm done in less than five minutes and the filter is spotless. With a canister filter who knows how clean you really get it.

wow....i didnt know canisters were that bad. i do like the ac too. they are easy to take care of. i think the best filter i have right now is just a plain sponge filter. with daily wc it works great and it makes pretty bubbles!!!!:laugh:

joanr
09-25-2010, 01:40 PM
I had two AC 70's running on a 55gal + sponge filter. It was a real pain for me cleaning the filter boxes as the tank was up against a wall making it hard to remove the boxes for cleaning. I also was not a big fan of pulling out the sponge filter for cleaning. Replaced the whole mess when I got my 75 gal with a Rena Filstar XP3 w/Hydor inline heater and will never look back. Todays canister designs are developed for easy cleaning. The XP3 has a quick disconnect head that keeps the water in the hoses so you don't have to re-prime the canister. It cleans up easily in a few minutes and your done. I think cleaning the hoses evey few months is probably the biggest chore but I have a steamer that steams out the gunk, and a rinse with hot water and good to go again. Just my methods but I find it way easier to maintain than the HOB's.

peterhql
09-25-2010, 01:47 PM
well lol its not that its that bad. A canister's ability to house beneficial bacteria is amazing. I just don't like cleaning it out. Most discus keepers feed their fish far more often than they would with other types of fish. So that gunk builds up quickly in the canisters. For me if I didn't clean out my hoses and canisters at least once a month, I'd have a snow storm in my tank and thats with a prefilter too.

It's just the Aquaclear's ability to house BB and polish the water is more than sufficient. I've had an AC 110 on my 90 gallon for months now. No problems, water changes 2-3x a week. I use the sponge, a prefilter, some eheim biomedia and sometimes purigen.

That's it nice and simple, no need to deal with a huge canister, 2-3 trays of media, the filter pads, hoses, fittings, nothing.

roclement
09-25-2010, 02:14 PM

Sorry if I offended you with my response, it was not my intention. I gave you my honest answer as others have stated, I firmly believe that a clean tank can be achieved via appropriate water changes, and that dirty filters in "clean looking" tanks do more harm than good for fishkeeping.

Like it has been said, cleaning dirty filters is a pain so people start avoiding it thus keeping the dirt acumulating in there, out of site, untill all hell breaks loose!

In my tanks I have a simple air pump running an old school corner filter with floss in it to capture floating particles so I get that crystal clean tank look. No biological filtration.

In any case, whatever filter you choose, just remember that cleaning the filter is as important as changing the water, and feeding your fish! :)

Welcome to the Club.

Rodrigo

Frankr409
09-25-2010, 05:02 PM
hey just wondering what the best filter system that you have come across or heard of is. im using ac power filter right now. thinking of doing canister. should i stay with the ac or swap over. i run 2 sponges and biomodules with a prefilter on all my tanks. seems to be working but you know.......always looking into other options:D

Running and Eheim 2078 Pro 3e here and very happy with it. Also doing 40 % water change per day with pure r/o in my 110.

As far as what is best for your situation would require more info. Like others have said, perhaps you are doing 100 % water changes every day. Maybe you could give us a little back ground on your tank size, fish load, etc.

Literally, there are so many variables I'm not sure how anyone could give you a straight answer, but it does not shock me that people try.

MrYin
09-25-2010, 06:16 PM
Running and Eheim 2078 Pro 3e here and very happy with it. Also doing 40 % water change per day with pure r/o in my 110.

As far as what is best for your situation would require more info. Like others have said, perhaps you are doing 100 % water changes every day. Maybe you could give us a little back ground on your tank size, fish load, etc.

Literally, there are so many variables I'm not sure how anyone could give you a straight answer, but it does not shock me that people try.

I have a 75g planted. it gets a 50% water change weekly.....no discus in there yet. I'm not having any issues just wondering what some options are. I'm really happy with the ac110 I have. My discus tank gets 100% daily and I'm running ac70 half the time and a sponge all the time

samuelkl
09-26-2010, 12:47 AM
i overfiltrate like crazy to minimize water changes ie 20% every week (im all for less work since im a busy grad student), all this on a 65 gallon heavily stocked planted tank.

got an rena xp3 on it, havent cleaned it in over 6 months, still running strong
cant really complain, it doesnt make noise, and provides great flow for the fishes, not to mention it keeps my water clean

i would say the rena xp line is solid as well as eheim. i go for the eheim ecco more so than other eheims. both rena xps and eheim ecco are way easier to clean than other canisters

MrYin
09-26-2010, 10:25 AM
i overfiltrate like crazy to minimize water changes ie 20% every week (im all for less work since im a busy grad student), all this on a 65 gallon heavily stocked planted tank.

got an rena xp3 on it, havent cleaned it in over 6 months, still running strong
cant really complain, it doesnt make noise, and provides great flow for the fishes, not to mention it keeps my water clean

i would say the rena xp line is solid as well as eheim. i go for the eheim ecco more so than other eheims. both rena xps and eheim ecco are way easier to clean than other canisters

thanks man, ill remember that if i decide to get a canister. ive been looking at the rena and they seem impressive

korbi_doc
09-26-2010, 02:12 PM

Why?

DITTO!!

inmisawa
10-15-2010, 05:05 PM
I'm actually getting a 100 gal here this weekend. It'll be a planted tank. I've had a canister in the past, but they are a huge pain to take care of but I can't do daily water changes either. I'm thinking sponge and maybe an over hang based off of what I am reading. Any advice?

wheelsdeal
10-15-2010, 06:18 PM
I also try to overfiltrate my 105g with an Eheim Pro3e 2078 and a SunSun HW 304A and keep them as clean as possible.If you are asking for the best canister filter i would suggest firstly the Eheim Pro3 2080 and secondly the Eheim Pro3e 2078.Both filters are dead silent,12 liters and 8 liters of media capacity,good flow,easy to clean and of top quality.

waj8
10-16-2010, 07:07 AM
You will never get a definitive answer on this question because it depends. I would say for planted tanks a canister or a sump is best. For a planted Discus tank I think a sump, which is what I use. I love it for hiding the equipment and ease of cleaning the prefilter. However, I would not want a sump underneath my tank as many are set up. Often there is no good spot to put a sump so in that case, a canister would be better. In a planted Discus tank you need to have some sort of prefilter that can be cleaned easily and frequently to get rid of detritus before it decomposes in the filter. The biofiltration part of the filter is not so important. You also need lots of water flow to help distribute CO2 and maintain water clarity.