PDA

View Full Version : Solomon spawn

dalejordan
09-24-2010, 10:18 PM
Ahhh...I am a happy man , fish guy, tank nerd...whatever you want to call me. It has happened, my Solomon's has spawned !!!!!!!

This one has been a tough nut for me. I best female has been going back and forth to the post now for about 4 months. She'd go through the motions, but nothing would come of it. Honestly, I think it was an age thing and she needed these last 6 months or so to "mature"

While this was happening, I experimented with my very best male to see what he was like as a father ( with just a no name female ) Well, his first three spawns were duds ( not fertile ) So, I've let him do it over and over and he is now up to about 20 fish hatching.....it will come !! ( my wife makes me do things over and over till I get it right as well...tee hee )

I had decided to use my second best male to get her into a cycle. AGAIN, this guy turned out to be very pushy with resulted in a spawn a few weeks ago of the eggs not even sticking to the post ( as the fish passed, he kept nudging her and the eggs just fell , I have it on video if anyone wants to cry along with it :-(

My final attempt was to use my third male ( He's a killer as well, but you know me....have to be a perfectionist !! ) This time....he was the man. He's still young and did push her a bit, but he got the job done last night. As of an hr. ago, it looks like I have a smaller ( 80-100 ish ) spawn that will hatch tomorrow ....YAHHH HOOO !!!

Now....for the good and bad news ??? The bad news is Ken and I have decided ***NOT*** to take orders on these until I have some time with them AND have at least one more spawn under or belts !! Since this will be THE FIRST spawn of these killers in North America, I want to see growth rate, how they eat....etc etc. In other words, I want to make sure my customers get what they pay for !!! These are far far too valuable to screw around with and I really want to make sure before I stick my neck out !! We are going to apply the same thinking to the Cuipeaus ( which are at the post today...shhhh, I didn't tell you that :-)

The good news is, if everything works out ( good growth, another spawn, etc etc ) I will take orders on these and whatever else AFTER our first shipment reaches the US !!! Again, I want to make sure our first orders get into the US without any hitches. ( I do not want to risk these on logistical problems we may run into our first time in !!! )

With all that said, we hope that you guys understand ?? Remember, they're not going anywhere and will be available just a little later :-)

Here is the video and the parents....ENJOY ALL ;-)

http://s847.photobucket.com/albums/ab33/guppy-boy/?action=view&current=Movie_0001.mp4

Altum Nut
09-24-2010, 10:34 PM
Congrats Dale...I'm speechless, bottom jaw near the floor while I watch.
Boy...you have just made a lot of SD members very, very happy.
Let me go sit in the corner and pout.

...Ralph

William Palumbo
09-24-2010, 10:56 PM
Way to go Dale! Killer fish for sure. I'll be on that list for those for sure. You got a knack for breeding these wilds. All the best...Bill

jball1125
09-24-2010, 11:33 PM
Cant wait to see what the offspring turn out like.

Those fish are just WOW

Sea Hag
09-25-2010, 12:02 AM
Congrats. Those fish are perfectly gorgeous. Wow.

Discus-n00b
09-25-2010, 01:15 AM
WOW perfect fish. That one with the pronounced bar is AMAZING. I think i'm in love. ;)

vera
09-25-2010, 01:36 AM
Oh my , he done it again!!!
finally the girl from avatar in action :)well done Dale - they are perfect pair !!
TC

Ed13
09-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Those fish are so awesome!!!! I won't ask for much, but please promise that you'll keep us updated as they go along. I'm as excited as if they were my own.

If your taking requests, I'd REALLY like to see how the cuipeuas are doing;);)

prolude006
09-25-2010, 09:14 AM
Dale just remember if I win the lottery you will have a new neighbor, and an apprentice!

I wanna know what you know!

All five vids are amazing, stunning fish every last one of them.

David

John Crawford
09-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Hi Dale, Watching with interest,
Hope it all works for you. Regards John...

Moon
09-25-2010, 10:25 AM
Hi Dale
Put me down for the first or second batch. Let me know when they will be ready.
Ralph are you intersted? We can split the order.
Joe

Altum Nut
09-25-2010, 10:32 AM
Hi Dale
Put me down for the first or second batch. Let me know when they will be ready.
Ralph are you intersted? We can split the order.
Joe

Hey Joe,

Dale has already mentioned the first batch is not for sale unless we give him $1,ooo,ooo.
You bet I'm in for the second batch. Let me know If you know first.

We'll talk soon....maybe Waterdown next week.

...Ralph

wgtaylor
09-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Really happy for you Dale. I know how bad you wanted to get these Solomons going. Awesome ! :):):):)
Bill

dalejordan
09-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Thanks all....I cant thank everyone enough for their support !!!!

Will be going to shut down the cottage on Monday and Tuesday, so if I do not get back to your PM's and emails right away, please be patient ( yes the fish will be cared for while I'm away....LOL )

PS Cuip.'s went through the motions, but nothing happened. They should go next week...I'll post for sure ( wait till you see em....WOW !! :-)

April
09-25-2010, 03:41 PM
congrats!!! i should come down to winnipeg on monday and tuesday..and bag some fish!! lol. im suire i can get in and out without notice.
they are beautiful fish..cant wait to see the fry . hope the curiperas get going.
what are you spiking the water with?

bonsai dave
09-25-2010, 03:47 PM
congrats Dale. Way to go Put me down for some when they are ready to go. thanks..

roclement
09-25-2010, 04:10 PM
Great news! Congrats!

Rodrigo

Disgirl
09-25-2010, 05:08 PM
Big congrats from me too Dale! And they did it on clear plastic and not one of my magic cones! Very cool!
Barb:)

Moon
09-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Hey Joe,

Dale has already mentioned the first batch is not for sale unless we give him $1,ooo,ooo.
You bet I'm in for the second batch. Let me know If you know first.

We'll talk soon....maybe Waterdown next week.

...Ralph

I'll see you Sunday.

Eddie
09-26-2010, 03:38 AM
Thats fantastic news Dale! I love that pair too, just jaw dropping!

All the best buddy!

Eddie

PS-Must be something in the air for the Solomons. :D

ashaysathe
09-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Great work Dale. Excellent. Very nice

dalejordan
09-26-2010, 11:11 AM
Thanks again everyone !!

Looks like a real nice hatch ( hatched about 2am on Sunday ) !!!

luckyfind
09-26-2010, 12:05 PM
Great work Dale. Those are going to be some fantastic fry. Keep me in mind when ready to go.
Laurence

Eddie
09-26-2010, 06:45 PM
Outstanding! I would love some of those fry Dale!

Eddie

ockyra215
09-26-2010, 10:08 PM
Dale Definetly A step in the right direction with this pair.Way to go.You Know I am good for 12 of them.:D

Jhhnn
09-26-2010, 11:05 PM
It's just as well for me that they won't be coming any time RSN- I need to create a place for them to live beforehand, and the water changing system additions to go with it. It's... complicated.

I've corresponded with Ken, let him know that I'm keenly interested in a dozen or so... but I honestly can't make a firm commitment until the time approaches...

Great news, in any event, and best of luck with it all...

Pardal
09-26-2010, 11:07 PM
WOW! awesome pair, Dale Congrats!. When you start taking orders I'm definately will want some of that fry.:D

Apistomaster
03-07-2011, 05:41 PM
Do you allow your pairs to raise their fry or do you raise your fry using artificial feeding techniques?
Some artificial methods recommend 3 water changes but don't think that is enough to minimize the chances of unwanted bacterial blooms. Excessively high bacterial counts can result in more developmental problems. The good part is these defects are not genetically caused so subsequent fry should develop perfectly if raised by their parents.