PDA

View Full Version : 2 month olds heavy breathing

Sivasama
09-25-2010, 07:28 PM
So my 8 two month olds are struggling with breathing. Water is good. Ph 7.2 temp 83. Some of the fish are only using one gill. All are breathing heavy. My water is 90% ro. I use prime in the tank....water is pre mixed and heated. 50% water changes daily. Tank is a 55 gallon tank. They are all eating really well and have fins all out. They are going to be white base color so I can't tell anything that way.

I tried prazipro, formalin 3, also salt. Salt worked for a while but stopped. I would think it would have to be bacterial? Are there only 2 things that could do this? Flukes or bacteria? Since the salt seemed to give relief for a while I'm leaning toward bacteria. Not sure what to try for bacteria...? I just don't think flukes would hold up to the treatments I gave. They gave no relief. Any thoughts?

Travis

Jennie
09-25-2010, 08:34 PM
Well I just put my fish through a heavy dose of salt for flukes and it did not work. My fish have the same symptoms you describe but added swollen gills on My PE and flashing on a couple others. They are now in treatment with Lifebearer fluke treatment and have responded though I am not finished yet. All symptoms are decreasing including the heavy breathing. The PE is still breathing fast, just not as fast as before I started with lifebearer. So the treatment is dosed 2 days in a row and 3 day no dose with no water changes for those 3 days. 3 days off with water changes then 3 days of treatment again for a total of 3x of 3 days on 3 days off in my case. I am half way through now. So at the end of the first course the PE started to breath faster again so still fighting them.

diveshooter
09-26-2010, 01:16 AM
Filling this out will help others to help you:
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _____

- ph _____

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading ____

- nitrate reading ____

- well water ____

- municipal water ____

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

Just curious,but how come you use so much RO water?