PDA

View Full Version : 55g Cube

chow
09-25-2010, 10:49 PM
After 5 years away from my beloved discus keeping reef tanks and setting up a successful online marine livestock and equipment business here in Australia I have decided to go back to Discus. Last time around I didn't find this site but it has definitely been an fantastic read this time around.

So the tank has been up and cycling for 4 weeks. Last week I added the plants and this week some fish. Hope you enjoy.

Equipment:
8x24W T5 Unit, Currently only running four tubes, will see how it goes.
250W Jager heater in sump,
3000l/h return pump

Current stock:

Flora:
Microsorum pteropus
Anubias barteri
Anubias nana
Vesicularia dubyana
Aponogeton crispus
Echinodorus tenellus

Fauna:
Otocinclus macrospilus
Corydors sterbi
Hemigrammus rhodostomus
Mikrogeophagus ramirezi

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q112/chow1388/DiscusCubeFront01.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q112/chow1388/DiscusCubeFront02.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q112/chow1388/DiscusCubeRight01.jpg
http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q112/chow1388/DiscusCubeLeft01.jpg

I'm not sure how many discus to put in yet, how many would you guys suggest?

aXio
09-25-2010, 11:11 PM
Very beautiful setup! I love the way you have you wood and plants arranged. What kind of discus are you planning on keeping?

kingfisherfleshy
09-26-2010, 12:27 AM
Nice looking setup man...its not as long as a normal 55...But I hear that groups smaller than 5 can be problems. That seems to me like it might be a slightly tight fit though. Lets see what the others have to say. :D

chow
09-26-2010, 06:46 PM
Very beautiful setup! I love the way you have you wood and plants arranged. What kind of discus are you planning on keeping?

Thanks Axio, Not 100% sure yet on the discus but I have a pair in another tank which has a leopard skin male and what I think is a yellow pigeon blood female.

Nice looking setup man...its not as long as a normal 55...But I hear that groups smaller than 5 can be problems. That seems to me like it might be a slightly tight fit though. Lets see what the others have to say.

Its not a standard 55, but a 2ft cube, so 2x2x2. The standard rule i've seen and followed through the years is 1 discus/10g so - the space taken by the driftwood, sand etc i might just scrape through with 5.

What are others thoughts please?

Discus master
09-28-2010, 07:47 AM
Hey I have a 55, and for me ill regardless of shape to me a 55 is a 55, of course within reason. I would say you could probably do 5 which is minimum for discus any way for a decent group. Also consider this it is a discus per 10 gallon but we are talking about adult discus as well I currently have 7 in my 55 gallon. The are all around the 3 - 3.5 maybe one is 4 inch mark a red turq. My tank does not look crowded at all. I do not have a whole lot in there a little san some drift wood a few java ferns and thats about it. I hear it takes discus 12 - 18 months to become adults so my wife is letting me get into a 110 in the near future so as it becomes to small for them I am up grading anyways. I have already priced out the total setup new that I want with the stand and canopy she likes of course. So yeah throw 5 in there if it get to be a tight fit upgrade!! Having said that I don' think I would put 2 inch juvis in a decorated tank I had a BB for a few months before I decorated I waited till they were at around the 3 inch mark first. I am doing 80% basically daily water changes so if you can keep up with your water changes I would go for it. The discus may give you the reason to up grade to a larger tank anyway who knows? What type of strains are you thinking? domesticated? wilds what? Oh forgot to ask you what type of filtration are you using I imagine a plumbed sump due to the fact you can see the built in over flow:D

Jennie
09-28-2010, 07:59 AM
love your display. :)

cooksa
09-28-2010, 08:06 AM
I have the same tank. A Marineland cube? It's actually considered a 60gal (59.8gals to be exact) if that makes any difference for you. :)

Discus master
09-28-2010, 09:11 AM
I have the same tank. A Marineland cube? It's actually considered a 60gal (59.8gals to be exact) if that makes any difference for you. :)

If that is the case then he should be fine with 5 discus, maybe have to take like one log out maybe.