PDA

View Full Version : 2 month old fish breathing heavy

Sivasama
09-26-2010, 07:59 AM
Please complete the questionnaire if your fish are sick (copy and paste)

DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Fish have been breathing heavy for about a month or so now. Some flashing early on. I noted the flashing when the fish were still with the parents. Parents show no signs.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Heavy breathing, some fish using only 1 gill. See flashing now and then, more so early on. Still eating well. Some hiding behind sponge until feeding time. They are a white color base so they don't darken. Poop tends to be greenish in color and dark.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

I have tried treating with Salt and saw improvement for a while. Then they got worse. I tried Prazipro. This only gave relief while in the water. Symptoms returned after water changes. I tried Formalin 3 with no improvement after 3 treatments. I am trying Quick Cure right now. 2nd treatment tonight. I may have noted a bit of improvement in a couple of fish. Too early to tell though for sure.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

55g been up a month and a week. It has 2 established sponges in it. 8 fish in the tank. They are about 1.5 to 2 inch fish.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Water change at least 50% daily. Bare bottom. I age my water. Mix is 90% RO 10% tap. I age and heat and mix prior to water changes. I use prime in the tank itself.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp ___83__

- ph ___7.2__

- ammonia reading ___0_

- nitrite reading _0 - .25 I feed beefheart a couple times a day. Depends on when this is checked.___

- nitrate reading __Don't test__

- well water __no__

- municipal water __yes__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently
No new fish added.

These are my first fry that I have been able to breed and they look great so far. Help me keep them alive please!

Travis

Eddie
09-26-2010, 06:30 PM
Your nitrite should be zero. Is there a reason why you are using RO for raising juvenile discus?

Sivasama
09-26-2010, 08:58 PM
Rock hard water out of tap...and space issues. I don't have multiple storage for water. If I want to breed I have to have ro mix. I don't know why nitrite comes in to the picture at times. I have high ammonia out of tap 8.+. My tap can't be trusted. I hope you aren't offended that I'm asking the group again. I was just hoping for some more input from the group as things seem to keep elevating. I always appreciate your input. PP just worries me. I'm guessing bacteria and just hoped maybe another person had tried what I did and then found something that worked.

Travis

Eddie
09-27-2010, 05:31 PM
Rock hard water out of tap...and space issues. I don't have multiple storage for water. If I want to breed I have to have ro mix. I don't know why nitrite comes in to the picture at times. I have high ammonia out of tap 8.+. My tap can't be trusted. I hope you aren't offended that I'm asking the group again. I was just hoping for some more input from the group as things seem to keep elevating. I always appreciate your input. PP just worries me. I'm guessing bacteria and just hoped maybe another person had tried what I did and then found something that worked.

Travis

Not at all man, its a collective effort. Its just that nitrites at any level are dangerous. You should always have zero for ammonia/nitrites before ever using any meds/chems.