PDA

View Full Version : Fat belly

Hawks Nest
09-27-2010, 07:25 PM
I have a young (3"-3.5") brilliant turk that has developed a fat belly. It resembles what he would look like after feeding, but it never gets smaller. Additionally there is another bump forming behind his belly. He is acting very listless with clamped fins and seems to always have a head down posture. Attached are a couple photos that may better explain his symptoms.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks, Larry

mathao
09-27-2010, 11:24 PM
looks like bloat. have you been feeding a lot of flakes?
try 1 tablespoon of epsom salt per 10 gallons of water and see if it gets better.

Eddie
09-28-2010, 02:32 AM
Definitely move the fish to a hospital tank and add 2 tbsp of Epsom salt per 10 gallons. Not too sure about the small nodule on the fish but keep an eye on it. Any other fish in the tank with symptoms of illness?

Hawks Nest
09-28-2010, 06:53 PM
Not feeding flakes at all. Diet is primarly frozen bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp.

Hawks Nest
09-28-2010, 06:55 PM
None of the other fish in the tank have these symptoms. I will move to hosp tank tonight and add Epsom salt

Hawks Nest
09-28-2010, 07:23 PM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

Discus has a fat belly all the time. I noticed that this fish had a fatter belly that it's tank mates a couple weeks ago, but attributed it to him eating more. It is now obvious this isn't the case.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Hides in the corner, head down posture.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

None

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

125G, set up for 5-6 Months, six 5" adult Discus, two 3.5" juvinal discus (raised from fry, the rest were traded for another tank), 5 Pearl Gouramis, and 5 Serpae tetras.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

At least 25% water change weekly/5-6 months/gravel/water temp is adjusted and declorinated in a barrel prior to water change, but there is no "aging" of the water. I will make a barrel and use it right away.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp __84___

- ph __6.8___

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __20__

- well water __NO__

- municipal water __YES__

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No