PDA

View Full Version : fin rot

merk175
09-27-2010, 08:39 PM
I moved a fish from a community tank to a breeder tank (the female of a proven mated pair) and she now has a bad case of fin rot. Tank conditions from the community tank to the breeder tank are as identical as I can get them.....84 degrees, PH about 6.0, zero ammonia, negligible nitrates etc. For some reason her fins are all frayed with white edges. The pair recently raised a batch of fry (about 2 months ago) which are growing out in another tank. I wanted to put the pair back together to get them to breed again. Aside from the fin rot, she looks ok although she is a bit stressed (dorsal fin folded up). I just moved her about 24 hours ago. She is eating but her fins look terrible. I just treated the breeder tank with one tablespoon of salt. The male is pushing her around a bit but not terribly. Any suggestions on possbile other treatments are appreciated. The community tank was a 75 gallon and I moved her back to the 20 gallon.

nc0gnet0
09-27-2010, 11:58 PM
Lots of clean water usually does the trick, but if it gets worse or shows no signs of improvement you might want to treat with furan-2.

Eddie
09-28-2010, 02:47 AM
Agree on the clean water, but I'd go with acriflavin first...before an antibiotic and you can actually add it now. Thats just me though.

Eddie