PDA

View Full Version : NEW TO WILD DISCUS- basic questions

mattjm1121
09-28-2010, 03:56 PM
Hello everyone,
As the title implies, I am new to wild discus and I am planning a large biotope tank (not yet decided on which wilds).

I have a 46 gal planted tank with domestic discus strains. I don't use RO water and I get away with 35-40 % water changes every 5 days or so.

With my plan for a large discus biotope, I just wanted to know what would be the the greatest changes I would need to make to my maintenance and care routine.

I have heard many opinions regarding RO water, water change routines, an filtration methods but now I'm looking for information and advice from experienced aquarists.

I intend to buy wild discus which have been fully quarantined and adjusted to aquarium living, not directly from the wild.

I am open to all and any advice and I look forward to hearing from everyone.

Larry Bugg
09-28-2010, 05:03 PM
I got my first wild discus about a year ago. I have treated them no differently than my domestics. Of course, Atlanta and the surrounding metro area's water is pretty much ideal for discus. I have a Heckel/Uatuma Blue pair that have about 35 six week old fry that are doing excellent. Same food, same water, same maintenance. Absolutely nothing different.

mattjm1121
09-29-2010, 02:26 PM
I got my first wild discus about a year ago. I have treated them no differently than my domestics. Of course, Atlanta and the surrounding metro area's water is pretty much ideal for discus. I have a Heckel/Uatuma Blue pair that have about 35 six week old fry that are doing excellent. Same food, same water, same maintenance. Absolutely nothing different.

Ok thanks. What kind of filtration do you use? And what sort of water change and maintenance routine do you have?

Harriett
09-29-2010, 03:00 PM

I would love to see a pic of your pair, if possible!
Best regards,
Harriett

Larry Bugg
09-29-2010, 03:03 PM
Most of my tanks are bare bottom with sponge filters. Some also have HOB's. I have a 135 planted with wilds and have 2 cannisters on it. My adults get a 50% change every 3 to 5 days. Juvies get 30% to 50% changes every other day. Fry up to about 3 months get daily 75% changes. The bottom of most of the tanks are vaccumed nightly.

mattjm1121
09-29-2010, 06:22 PM
Most of my tanks are bare bottom with sponge filters. Some also have HOB's. I have a 135 planted with wilds and have 2 cannisters on it. My adults get a 50% change every 3 to 5 days. Juvies get 30% to 50% changes every other day. Fry up to about 3 months get daily 75% changes. The bottom of most of the tanks are vaccumed nightly.

Do you use any RO water with the wilds? I plan on having fully matured adult wilds

Larry Bugg
09-29-2010, 06:31 PM
No, aged 1 day out of the tap. Water in the Metro Atlanta is very soft. Great for discus.

Larry Bugg
09-30-2010, 12:11 AM
I would love to see a pic of your pair, if possible!
Best regards,
Harriett

Don't want to steal mattjm's thread but here they are. 2nd pic is current fry and 3rd pic is the only suvivor of the previous batch. I pulled the fry from the parents two days ago.

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/Heckel%20Uatuma%20Blue%20pair/DSC_0050.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/Heckel%20Uatuma%20Blue%20pair/DSC_0052.jpg

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx56/Bugman30040/Heckel%20Uatuma%20Blue%20pair/DSC_0059.jpg

pcsb23
10-18-2010, 04:21 AM
I have found that once acclimated wilds are easier to care for than domestics. They are far more robust and resilient.

Many have successfully kept them in ordinary tap (dechlorinated of course). Filtration is really your preference, as long as their water is clean they won't care how it became clean.

In my case I am a water warrior and I use RO water re-mineralised with salts to a conductivity of 130 - 150 microsiemens (approx 65-75TDS). I do this for all my discus, wilds and domestics (including German bred).

erikc
10-18-2010, 10:32 AM
I would agree with Paul. I keep only wilds now but have kept both.

Wilds , once acclimatised, are hardier than domestic strains. However there is a peroid of observation and adaptation for the wilds which has to be done over a peroid of months and not weeks. These fish have to get used to the confinement of the aquarium.

jimg
10-18-2010, 11:20 AM
I keep wilds at about 80 tds ph 7.3, 3/4 r/o 1/4 tap.
I have tried other wilds I have with dechlor tap ph 7.8 tds 280 - 350 in planted tanks and they seem to loose some color and show stress bars a lot.