PDA

View Full Version : proper way to measure the discus fish

flyer1988
09-29-2010, 12:28 AM
What is the proper way to measure the discus fish? Is it in diameter, head to fin?

mathao
09-29-2010, 01:08 AM
from the mouth to the end of the tail. thats what i've been told, but not really sure.

Jennie
09-29-2010, 05:55 AM
to peduncle

Eddie
09-29-2010, 06:10 AM
to peduncle

Yes, to be politically correct...tip of mouth to the base of the tail (peduncle). But most of us generally measure the whole fish, including the tail. :D

Jhhnn
09-29-2010, 08:48 AM
Yes, to be politically correct...tip of mouth to the base of the tail (peduncle). But most of us generally measure the whole fish, including the tail. :D

Like Eddie says, there are 2 different standards-

From the end of the nose to the base of the tail is referred to as "standard length" or SL.

From the end of the nose to the end of the tail is "total length" or TL.

The latter is much more common, so measurements that don't specifically state SL should be taken as TL.

I'm not quite sure how SL came to be applied to discus, but it's a more honest way to describe long finned varieties of tropical fish than TL. In fancy guppies, the difference is obviously huge.

Jennie
09-29-2010, 09:30 AM
it's best to ask when purchasing. I can say when Kenny sends me a 3 inch fish, it is from tip to peduncle. Either that he is extremely generous. But I'm guessing it the SL method.