PDA

View Full Version : Do you cover sides on multiple tanks?

DiscusLoverJeff
09-29-2010, 08:20 PM
Hello everyone,

I was wondering if those of you with multiple breeding pairs cover your sides of the tanks so the pairs can't see the other pairs?

I was thinking if seeing each pair would make them more vigorous, sort of like teasing them into breeding?

Skip
09-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Discus hans has his tanks all next to each wide open..

but i have wondered the same thing.. i am wondering what others will say..

DerekFF
09-29-2010, 10:31 PM
Personally i had to cover at least the 1 side between 20's because apparently my fish cant take being that close to eachother lol. The male from 1 pair and the female from the other swim at the glass at eachother like salmon going upstream lol. They wont even break to breed!

Howard
10-16-2010, 07:47 PM
I use white posterboard on three sides of the tank, this helps the fry to find its way to the Parent fish. Scott

Discus-n00b
10-16-2010, 10:29 PM
I paint mine because like Derek, mine are way to distracted to breed with the partner they've already picked out.

Chad Adams
10-16-2010, 10:35 PM
I do not put in blocking(colored) seperations.
Chad

Chad Hughes
10-16-2010, 11:39 PM
Sometimes you can get by without it sometimes you need it. I have seen VERY aggressive males slam themselves in to side glass trying to defend a spawn from a fish in another tank. Sound stupid? Yes. LOL! I keep all my tanks confined with 3 painted sides + bottom.

Until you experience it I guess it's a personal choice.

Best wishes!

John_Nicholson
10-17-2010, 09:56 AM
I have done it both ways. If it was me I would cover/paint at least one of the sides.

-john

Discus-Hans
10-17-2010, 11:44 AM
Keep them open but have the possibility to put a piece of cart board between them. Some times a male can be so busy defending his female, he forget to do his job on the eggs. If you see it's spawning time, put the paper/cart board between them. If the job is done, remove it, defending parents are most of the time great parents.

Hans

Rod
10-18-2010, 01:08 AM
Keep them open but have the possibility to put a piece of cart board between them. Some times a male can be so busy defending his female, he forget to do his job on the eggs. If you see it's spawning time, put the paper/cart board between them. If the job is done, remove it, defending parents are most of the time great parents.

Hans

+1. Exactly what i do.

Discus-Hans
10-18-2010, 04:36 AM

Hans

+1. Exactly what i do.

Rod,

what was that with great minds???????

Hmmmm was just thinking, I'm sitting here, 4am in the morning. Yes, early for me, but I had to get up to pick up a shipment of fish (cardinals, sterbi's, pleco's, etc) because they came in just after closing time last night at the airport. Do you guys (members of Simply) realize what a ton of information/knowledge you get from the sponsors here on the forum???? for free............

There must be a button somewhere to click on to help Al to keep this going......... lol

Hans

ShinShin
10-21-2010, 02:35 PM
I have styrofoam under my tanks, behind them and between them on all sides. Only the fronts are exposed.

Mat