PDA

View Full Version : Tank Set up Questions

xecutech
09-30-2010, 12:13 PM
Hello, I am considering starting a discus tank and have a few questions.

After lurking through this forum, I am going to set up a bare bottom 55 gallon tank.

If I have a frefilter sponge, do I need an additional bubble sponge filter?

Are discus known for jumping out of aquariums? I was considering a topless tank with a hanging light to make it easier to do daily water changes.

Other than that I think I have everything else covered.

Danimal
09-30-2010, 07:38 PM
i found by not having a cover that the water evaporates fast, i have never hada Discus jump out, i dont think you have to do daily WC unless its a breeding set up
you also need to keep the top of your water moving for that gas exchange
i have never been a big fan of bare bottom tanks ( just not natural for the fish )
just my 2 cents

dan

Skip
09-30-2010, 08:19 PM
as much as you feed your fish.. food can collect on the bottom.. i was never a BB guy.. until i removed all the gravel. and i was mad i saw specs on the floor.. LOL

if you go bb.. get some spray paint and do the bottom and back.. my fish seemed to have settled down alittle and my PB peppering will be at a minimum!!

your prefilter sponge should go on you an power filter (it just keeps your filter cleaner).. and another hydrosponge filter would help.. i have both.. actually i have 2 hydros in my 3 tanks.. now, if i want a 4th tank, i just fill with water and put in fish!!

i just have some glass over my tanks to hold up my lights..

make sure you have a good heater.. get some salt (there is a thread on the two types to have).. and be ready to do lots of water changes.. that seems to be the key to all problems and solutions with discus!!!

xecutech
09-30-2010, 11:09 PM
Why do I need salt? Of course I am going to search for an answer, but that was an odd item to suggest having right off the bat.

I am not worrying about evaporation if I will be doing daily water changes, so they are not known for jumping out then?

Skip
09-30-2010, 11:15 PM
its possible they can.. but any fish can jump out.. they do get skittish.. so i guess it could happen but i have seen many tanks without any lids...

the salt seems to be like the only other substance people seem to have.. some make mistakes by medicating everything, which does more damage then anything .. when water changes would probably fix the issue. .check the beginner or general question section.. there is a good thread on Espson salt vs other salt.. and SALT DIP is also good to read..

DerekFF
10-01-2010, 12:14 AM
Regular non-iodized salt is used to help fish breath and also helps with small skin issues IE fin rot/slime issues and other minor things. Always good to keep a little salt in the tank, though not at all necessary. Epsom salt is the other kind of salt, its used in tandem with the laxative in it to help flush fish out in case they are blocked up, or may have other internal issues. Took me 1 year before i needed epsom salt, but none the less it had to happen eventually. Neither of these salts are necessary again, but it is a good idea to get some anyways. You can go to any local Home Depot or Lowes and get a 50lb bag of salt (rock salt, non-iodized) for like...$5 maybe? Its cheap and if you have the storage room itll last a long time.

PS-my fish havnt jumped out yet, i know others have. Mine always dart down/across the tank never up really. I do have a top though, but only use 3/4 of it. i always leave my feeding 1/4 open just to let air in while keeping most of my tank covered