PDA

View Full Version : Please suggest succesful quarantine procedure

lithevantim
10-01-2010, 02:24 AM
Hello,

I am recieving 2 breeding pairs of discus next week and i really want the best for them, so i am after an easy to follow but really effective quarantine procedure in order to esure their health.

I am new to the quarantine procedure, so i will need to know what medications are useful and what doses to apply.

i will purchasing a 3 foot aquarium and using a cycled filter. I intend to quarantine them for upto 6 weeks.

I need as much advice as possible, no such thing as too much information. Tell me your experiencences and give me as many tips as you can.

Thanks guys. :)

Regards

Tim

Eddie
10-01-2010, 04:46 AM
Where are the fish coming from? Do you have other fish at the moment?

lithevantim
10-01-2010, 04:57 AM
Where are the fish coming from? Do you have other fish at the moment?

yes i have 4 juvenile discus at the moment.

The fish are coming from a man that has been collecting discus for many years and sadly he has finished the hobby and these are his best quality discus that he is finally parting with and selling to me.

Eddie
10-01-2010, 05:05 AM
Here is some good info

http://www.simplydiscus.com/library/disease_medications/general_info/quarantine_procedures.shtml

lithevantim
10-01-2010, 06:31 AM
whereabouts would i be able to find the treatments suggested in the article:

methylene blue

Praziquantel

Metronidazole

formalin

potassium permanganate

Flubendazole

Prazi

thanks

Eddie
10-01-2010, 06:40 AM
http://www.4fishstuff.com/index.php?cPath=61&osCsid=i2ksg5gmmj7pv0r9qi7raouh31

And it was just one suggestion on quarantine of new fish. Lots of variables involved when receiving new fish so you must take into account whether or not some of the treatments have/have not been done. This was why I asked about the source. Some people will simply observe the fish for 4 weeks and then introduce 1 of the existing stock to the new group or vice versa, depending on which group you want to risk possible infection. Then you wait another 2 weeks and if all is good, then mix the group. But my biggest question, why are going to add 2 breeding pairs to a tank with 4 juvenile discus?

seanyuki
10-01-2010, 08:54 AM
You can contact Dan(EliteAquaria) also a sponsor here in SD.

http://www.eliteaquaria.com/Discus_Medication_s/41.htm?searching=Y&sort=2&cat=41&show=9&page=1

lithevantim
10-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Actually the 2 breeding pairs arent going in with my other 4 juvenile discus, i have decided to buy seperate breeding tanks for them. But i do want them to be disease free as much as possible.

Eddie
10-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Actually the 2 breeding pairs arent going in with my other 4 juvenile discus, i have decided to buy seperate breeding tanks for them. But i do want them to be disease free as much as possible.

There really isn't such a thing as a disease/bug free fish, unless some serious procedures where in place from the time the fish hatched out. There are some fish that have been artificially hatched/raised that are bug free but its not common at all. ;)