PDA

View Full Version : hi nee discus information

ruan maritz
10-01-2010, 09:18 PM
hi im new to simply discus i am thinking of getting some red turquoise discus they are about 6-8 months old 4-5 inches long and i was just wondering if i could 2 of them for a breeding pair ,ps:D i have a 50 gal tank

Altum Nut
10-01-2010, 10:01 PM
Welcome to simply ruan maritz,
You may have to offer more information as you are not very clear.
Do you just want to get a pair of Red Turquoise Discus or get a group with hopes that a pair will form?
The 50g is a bit large if you only want a breeding pair.
Are the Discus from April? being that you are from BC.

...Ralph

ruan maritz
10-01-2010, 10:09 PM
Welcome to simply ruan maritz,
You may have to offer more information as you are not very clear.
Do you just want to get a pair of Red Turquoise Discus or get a group with hopes that a pair will form?
The 50g is a bit large if you only want a breeding pair.
Are the Discus from April? being that you are from BC.

...Ralph
i want to get only two discus so that they will pair and then hope they get babies because they are soo expensive , and i have not yet got discus and im thi nking of getting them from april, but i have a person in prince george who are selling the red turquoise for $50 each , im not sure if thats expensive or not?

Altum Nut
10-01-2010, 10:24 PM
If I remember so...April has Red Turks around the 8 month old range unless she sold them all.
Secondly... if you want to possibly form a pair, you will have to buy a group of 6 to 8 but there are always no guarantee's that a pair will form.
However your 50g is only suitable for 5 adult discus and a little to big for a breeding pair.
I suggest you talk to April as she will fix you up to siut your needs.
Always remember you pay for quality or pay with regrets in the end.
I shootto buy from a simply sponsor.

...Ralph

ruan maritz
10-01-2010, 10:32 PM
thanks ralph i have already sent april a email about two days ago and have not got a reply yet, thanks for the info i will definetally ,Always remember you pay for quality or pay with regrets in the end thanks again

Altum Nut
10-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Sorry I forgot to mention that the $50 for a 4-5 inch Discus is at the lower end of the price with respect that they are at fair quality. You can pay in the $80-$100 range for 4-5 inch Discus depending on the strain and source.
If all you want is a breeding pair...it could run you $200 to $400 range.

...Ralph

Eddie
10-01-2010, 10:33 PM
Have you ever kept discus before?

ruan maritz
10-01-2010, 10:38 PM
Have you ever kept discus before?

no im still learning on what they need im going to do allot of research before getting discus:computer:

Eddie
10-01-2010, 10:44 PM
Thats good to hear. Starting off with a breeding pair of discus can be overwhelming. The breeding part is easy, the fish like to do it but time from hatch to juvenile stage is the most critical part of raising discus. There is TONS of info to read up on such as foods, water change set-up/requirements, space, time and time and time and time and time and time. But most of all, it takes TIME. LOL You really need to dedicate alot of time to successfully raise babies. Its one of those things I'd opt against for anyone who hasn't kept discus before.

Eddie

ruan maritz
10-01-2010, 10:56 PM
Thats good to hear. Starting off with a breeding pair of discus can be overwhelming. The breeding part is easy, the fish like to do it but time from hatch to juvenile stage is the most critical part of raising discus. There is TONS of info to read up on such as foods, water change set-up/requirements, space, time and time and time and time and time and time. But most of all, it takes TIME. LOL You really need to dedicate alot of time to successfully raise babies. Its one of those things I'd opt against for anyone who hasn't kept discus before.

Eddie

so are you saying i should just get four to five discus and fist learn how to care for them and the dos and dont's of discus keeping , PS is it very difficult for you to keep discus? , and here is what i have learned so far please correct me if im wrong,maintain a 80-83 f temperature , do more waterchanges, keep ph around 6.5 to 7.5 , very soft to slightly acidic water , and sand substrate , and a couple of plants [in pots] and to keep them with peaceful fish that wont nip or scare the discus thanks ruan

Eddie
10-01-2010, 11:04 PM
so are you saying i should just get four to five discus and fist learn how to care for them and the dos and dont's of discus keeping , PS is it very difficult for you to keep discus? , and here is what i have learned so far please correct me if im wrong,maintain a 80-83 f temperature , do more waterchanges, keep ph around 6.5 to 7.5 , very soft to slightly acidic water , and sand substrate , and a couple of plants [in pots] and to keep them with peaceful fish that wont nip or scare the discus

Yes, that is the most successful route. Get a group of 6-7 above 3" in size and learn them like the back of your hand. Most important rule, keep things simple in regard to water changes, water conditioning. Know your water and know how to use it to make your fish grow. ;)

ruan maritz
10-01-2010, 11:08 PM
Yes, that is the most successful route. Get a group of 6-7 above 3" in size and learn them like the back of your hand. Most important rule, keep things simple in regard to water changes, water conditioning. Know your water and know how to use it to make your fish grow. ;)

do have to get a group of 6-7 , the most im going to be able to afford is around 4

Eddie
10-01-2010, 11:13 PM
do have to get a group of 6-7 , the most im going to be able to afford is around 4

This is kind of one those catch alls when keeping discus. You definitely need to be able to afford to keep them. Your spending will increase with a breeding pair, more than you can imagine. I'd wait and save up until you can buy a group of 6 fish @ 3 inches or greater.

ruan maritz
10-01-2010, 11:28 PM
This is kind of one those catch alls when keeping discus. You definitely need to be able to afford to keep them. Your spending will increase with a breeding pair, more than you can imagine. I'd wait and save up until you can buy a group of 6 fish @ 3 inches or greater.

thanks alot for the advice i would surely do that , thanks for all your time you spent helping me i realy appreciate it

Eddie
10-01-2010, 11:50 PM
thanks alot for the advice i would surely do that , thanks for all your time you spent helping me i realy appreciate it

Anytime and welcome to Simply! Its my goal to help you succeed.

Eddie

DerekFF
10-02-2010, 01:21 AM
Anytime and welcome to Simply! Its my goal to help you succeed.

Eddie

Its Eddies true goal to earn a seat upon Mt. Olympus as God of the Discus

Eddie
10-02-2010, 04:16 AM
Its Eddies true goal to earn a seat upon Mt. Olympus as God of the Discus

LMAO, funny. Actually, discus are gods of me. ;)