PDA

View Full Version : fighting

jduboscarf
10-03-2010, 01:39 AM
So I have two discus in a 45g tall, temp 84, plants and a small clean up crew. I noticed yesterday that the discus were nipping at oto's when they got too close. Today the dominant one just won't leave the other discus alone. Follows it from side to side. Won't let it eat either. I also noticed when he picks on him near a leaf from a plant they would shake. Any ideas as to what is going on?

Eddie
10-03-2010, 02:07 AM
Its what discus do, they are cichlids, they want to dominate when given the opportunity. 2 discus in a tank is bad news unless they are a pair OR they tolerate/equal each other. It is very rare to have 2 discus do well together.

jduboscarf
10-03-2010, 02:32 AM
They were fine before, minor stuff during feeding. Lately cooperative, breaking up cubes together, but seems like non stop today. What about going after oto's? If its needing more fish, I think I can get two more in there but I wouldn't feel comfortable with more than that. What do you think?

Eddie
10-03-2010, 02:37 AM
They were fine before, minor stuff during feeding. Lately cooperative, breaking up cubes together, but seems like non stop today. What about going after oto's? If its needing more fish, I think I can get two more in there but I wouldn't feel comfortable with more than that. What do you think?

How old are the fish?

jduboscarf
10-03-2010, 11:05 AM
Not sure, I've had just over a month. Got from Kenny, they're about 4 inches.

Jennie
10-03-2010, 11:07 AM
what's the measurements on that tank?

jduboscarf
10-03-2010, 12:48 PM
24x36x12

I was wondering if it was breeding behavior as they kind of tail swap each other. But only one fights, the other just takes it.

Skip
10-03-2010, 01:14 PM

could it be one is getting more aggressive with age/mature..

sound likes you need more fish!!!:D:D

Jennie
10-03-2010, 01:39 PM
You can do five with daily WC
24x36x12

I was wondering if it was breeding behavior as they kind of tail swap each other. But only one fights, the other just takes it.

Eddie
10-03-2010, 06:38 PM

4 inches is a bit small for breeding if they came from Kenny/Forrest. They are barely getting into sub-adult stage. I thought it might be a male trying to get the female to lay but I think they still need time yet. Most likely just aggression.

Eddie

jduboscarf
10-03-2010, 10:18 PM
I thought that at first because of the shaking. Also, its getting to the point where neither one is eating well. The one because he's getting picked on & the other because he focused on picking.