PDA

View Full Version : treating with metro

utiliy
10-04-2010, 07:37 PM
i think i read all 16 pages...
never used it before, and dont have a hospital tank. got about 10 discus, about 4 of them with the white feces thing going on-all in a 125g tank.
got some metro on the way-500mg per pill.
ive read about dissolving it, and dosing to be every 8 hours-and temp to be high.
i drive a truck and cant be home every 8 hours.
couple ??'s
can i treat the whole tank with the other fish? all about 3 inches...
do i keep filteration up? have a 110 aquaclear and 2 sponge filters.
and for the temp being so high, i read the higher it is-the faster the drug evaporates-hence dose every 8 hours.
any thought on keeping the temp around 86 and dosing every 12-14 hours with 50% w/c before every dose?
only dose for 5 days?

Eddie
10-04-2010, 09:49 PM
can i treat the whole tank with the other fish?
Yes you treat the whole tank if you need to but I'd do the affected fish only IMO. Reason being, the other fish may not be infected or the others may have the immunity strength to deal with it.

do i keep filteration up?
Yes you can, metro has no affect on nitrifying bacteria but you won't need any filtration if you do WC every 12 hours as you are suggesting.

any thought on keeping the temp around 86 and dosing every 12-14 hours with 50% w/c before every dose?
This is fine, some will say that higher temps are required but metro works in cold water systems also. It may show an increased effectiveness but definitely not a requirement.

only dose for 5 days?
5 Days would be fine. ;)

HTH

Eddie

utiliy
10-04-2010, 10:19 PM
thx eddie! ive never treated fish for illness before...
i do over 50% w/c at least every other day...clean sponge filters...and once a month clean the 110's....odd that only the albino's show the illness. reds are doing great!

Eddie
10-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Yeah, it can be confusing for sure. It would be AMAZING is fish never fell ill. There is just so much going on in an aquarium and inside the fish that we can't control. There is nothing disease free unless procedures made this possible and it is NOT an easy task. ;) So imagine all your fish have something and only when their immunities are lowered that something presents itself. And we have to be understanding that all fish are not created equal. Some are weaker than others and Albinos do tend to be weaker in my limited experience and from others.

Eddie

utiliy
10-06-2010, 10:09 AM
is metro ok for bristlenose too? i have one in the tank now...i would have a hospital tank but i have bristlenose under quarantine now.
metro should be here today, temp is right. thinking of just half fill the 125g after cleaning and dose the metro.
and i thought 9 tanks was enough...

nc0gnet0
10-06-2010, 06:56 PM
I have dosed metro at 400 mg / 20 gallons with no ill effects on pleco's what-so-ever. These were juvenile albino longfin pleco's, which tend to be a bit on the weaker side as far as pleco's are concerned. While I can't say conclusively that it wouldn't harm any pleco's I would be suprised if it did. Same can be said for tetra's as well.

Eddie
10-06-2010, 07:36 PM
I have dosed metro at 400 mg / 20 gallons with no ill effects on pleco's what-so-ever. These were juvenile albino longfin pleco's, which tend to be a bit on the weaker side as far as pleco's are concerned. While I can't say conclusively that it wouldn't harm an pleco's I would be suprised if it did. Same can be said for tetra's as well.

Agree, the plecos will be fine. ;)

utiliy
10-08-2010, 02:51 PM
fish are getting color back...1 still not looking up to par, but for the most-look better than they did. eating better, but not eating alot.
after the treatment, i keep them in same temp and water for a week afterwards, or after go ahead and do the routine w/c ive done in the past?
plan is to:after treatment-only going to treat one more day, fill it back up to the 125g level. keep temp to 86...been treating the whole tank but only 50g in it.
put the 110 back in and continue w/c like in past.?
i only keep my temp in the discus tanks around 84...

thx for the imput...

Eddie
10-08-2010, 11:55 PM
fish are getting color back...1 still not looking up to par, but for the most-look better than they did. eating better, but not eating alot.
after the treatment, i keep them in same temp and water for a week afterwards, or after go ahead and do the routine w/c ive done in the past?
plan is to:after treatment-only going to treat one more day, fill it back up to the 125g level. keep temp to 86...been treating the whole tank but only 50g in it.
put the 110 back in and continue w/c like in past.?
i only keep my temp in the discus tanks around 84...

thx for the imput...

Sounds good, keep us posted!

utiliy
10-15-2010, 07:23 AM
the fish are doing very well! actually come to the glass to be fed-even when its not feeding time, but ill throw some food in there anyway.
thx for the help.

Eddie
10-15-2010, 07:27 AM
the fish are doing very well! actually come to the glass to be fed-even when its not feeding time, but ill throw some food in there anyway.
thx for the help.

Thats FANTASTIC news! Gotta love success stories. ;)

All the best,

Eddie

DerekFF
10-15-2010, 01:36 PM
FYI Plecos are the by-product of all the US/Russian nuclear testing. They are half gods if im not mistaken.....somewhere in the realm of hercules

Agree, the plecos will be fine. ;)

Eddie
10-15-2010, 06:56 PM
FYI Plecos are the by-product of all the US/Russian nuclear testing. They are half gods if im not mistaken.....somewhere in the realm of hercules

Yup, right along side cockroaches. Those 2 put together would make the worlds greatest army! LOL

pinoysport
11-14-2010, 11:18 PM
How much would you say 400 ml is? like a teaspoon? and would you add it directly to water?

pinoysport
11-14-2010, 11:42 PM
never mind sorry guy and gals.