PDA

View Full Version : Scouring Pads as Bio-Media?

Second Hand Pat
10-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Hey Guys, went to the dollar store to get pot scubbies but they did not have them so got scouring pads instead. Are they safe to use as bio-media? They do not seem to have any soap in the pad. A picture is attached.

Jennie
10-04-2010, 09:25 PM
I would google to see if there are chemicals in them??

ZX10R
10-04-2010, 10:11 PM
Hmmm :confused: I have never tried those I have always use pot scrubbies. You will have to let use know how they work out. Might be even better then the old pot scrubbies you never know.

Second Hand Pat
10-04-2010, 11:16 PM
The problem is I can not find out any thing about the them. The company Supply Plus Inc does not show them in it's current product line and the bag they came in shows the year 2008. So I'm guessing them are discontinued and I will not be able to learn anything more about them. I am going to past on using them for bio-media.

DiscusOnly
10-05-2010, 01:19 AM
The problem is I can not find out any thing about the them. The company Supply Plus Inc does not show them in it's current product line and the bag they came in shows the year 2008. So I'm guessing them are discontinued and I will not be able to learn anything more about them. I am going to past on using them for bio-media.

If the old scouring pads is what you are looking for, I have a whole box of them and they are brand new. Email or PM me if you are interested.

Van

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 08:48 AM
If the old scouring pads is what you are looking for, I have a whole box of them and they are brand new. Email or PM me if you are interested.

Van

Van, that is exactly what I'm looking for. How many are in your box? My sump area is about 12x12 in and about 4 in tall.

AirCapital
10-05-2010, 09:48 AM
I would get those pot scrubbies!!!!!!!!!!!! i have a document on my home computer that test All types of bio media and pot scrubbies knock them all out of the ball park. I bought 250 of them so I hope there right...lol

DiscusOnly
10-05-2010, 10:05 AM
Van, that is exactly what I'm looking for. How many are in your box? My sump area is about 12x12 in and about 4 in tall.

I have a total of 34 packs (6 in a packs) so that gives you 204 pads. That is way more than what you would need. I think the amount I have is for two 5 gallons DIY buckets.

Email me at vlam168@gmail.com. We can work out the details.

Van

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 10:15 AM
Email sent.

DerekFF
10-05-2010, 01:36 PM
Yeah Vlams pads are EXCELLENT for what your looking for. Also you can go to the $1 store or 99c store and get some regular old sponges in like a 10 pack and they work great too. They work the best in combo as the sponges are easy to cut to shape/stuff and the pads are great floaters/larger pore filter media

Second Hand Pat
10-05-2010, 03:52 PM
Yeah Vlams pads are EXCELLENT for what your looking for. Also you can go to the $1 store or 99c store and get some regular old sponges in like a 10 pack and they work great too. They work the best in combo as the sponges are easy to cut to shape/stuff and the pads are great floaters/larger pore filter media

Thanks, I should be receiving Van's pads soon. :D

prolude006
10-05-2010, 07:36 PM
I dont know, 99 cents and they put high quality on the package, makes me wonder!

Careful careful with sponges, lots of things are added that keep them soft and also antimicrobial. Kind of like garden hoses some of these plastic things that are used for cleaning.

David

DerekFF
10-07-2010, 12:55 AM
No lol. The sponges at the 99c store are just plain old sponges. No added anything to help cleaning or any fancy schmansy claims. I've used them for a pond filter, does wonders

discuspaul
10-07-2010, 04:55 PM
Green fibre scouring pads. Dollar store items.
Have used these for months - no undesirable or tainted elements in them - work very well as bio-media & are a great boost for water clarity.
They pick up a lot more gunk than foam pads.
I cut them to size & double or triple layer them up.

Second Hand Pat
10-07-2010, 05:32 PM
Green fibre scouring pads. Dollar store items.
Have used these for months - no undesirable or tainted elements in them - work very well as bio-media & are a great boost for water clarity.
They pick up a lot more gunk than foam pads.
I cut them to size & double or triple layer them up.

Are they like the picture in the first post. Thanks Pat

fishorama
10-07-2010, 07:46 PM
I too have used generic scubbing pads, not just in filters but as glass scrubbers. No adverse effects but read the entire label...no mildew preventers etc, just cheap recycled plastic :book:

discuspaul
10-08-2010, 12:53 PM
Pat,
Not 100% sure - can't tell for sure from your pic - but they certainly look like the same thing.
Mine are a different brand, called 'multi-purpose scrubbers' - they're med. to darkish green, about 1/4" thick, X 6" long X 4" wide. Mine come in 10 to a pack for a buck.

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 01:01 PM
Pat,
Not 100% sure - can't tell for sure from your pic - but they certainly look like the same thing.
Mine are a different brand, called 'multi-purpose scrubbers' - they're med. to darkish green, about 1/4" thick, X 6" long X 4" wide. Mine come in 10 to a pack for a buck.

Mine looks pretty much like that also. I just could not find anything about them online. The package does not indicate any added chemicals etc. but playing it safe. Thanks Pat

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Thanks to Van I'm in pot scubbie heaven. I could pot scubbie my whole house :D. Seriously I have the most colorful sump in central florida. Thanks Van.

discuspaul
10-08-2010, 06:40 PM
Another suggestion Pat, if you're the type, like me, that appreciates money-saving alternatives at the $ store, or any discount stores, here's a suggestion for you if you aren't already on to it.
Discount fabric stores carry what is called polyester quilt batting (same thing as filter floss bought @ a LFS, only 1/3 to 1/4 of the price). You get a full yard X a yard or more for around $5. It's about an inch thick when not compacted. Can be cut to any size to fit whatever, and doubled up, as I do.
It's a great bio-media, imo, and it sure picks up a great deal of gunk - super water clarifier. I use it alongside Purigen for crystal clear water. I change it regularly in my 2 HOB's, cause it gets black very quickly - but works great. Not good though, in canisters, as it tends to clog up the filter. Don't know about your sump - you may have to improvise - just a thought.

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Another suggestion Pat, if you're the type, like me, that appreciates money-saving alternatives at the $ store, or any discount stores, here's a suggestion for you if you aren't already on to it.
Discount fabric stores carry what is called polyester quilt batting (same thing as filter floss bought @ a LFS, only 1/3 to 1/4 of the price). You get a full yard X a yard or more for around $5. It's about an inch thick when not compacted. Can be cut to any size to fit whatever, and doubled up, as I do.
It's a great bio-media, imo, and it sure picks up a great deal of gunk - super water clarifier. I use it alongside Purigen for crystal clear water. I change it regularly in my 2 HOB's, cause it gets black very quickly - but works great. Not good though, in canisters, as it tends to clog up the filter. Don't know about your sump - you may have to improvise - just a thought.

Paul, great minds think alike and I got some today, it's already in the sump. I placed it under the spray bar which is where the water comes into the sump. With 5 tanks I need all the help I can get and thanks for posting it.