PDA

View Full Version : Peaceful Single Sex Tank?

Pgh71Chevy
10-04-2010, 09:48 PM
My wonderful mated pair of over 2 years has developed aggression issues and no reconciliation is possible. I'm past the breeding phase, it was great to raise, but too much work, I just want to watch and enjoy. So being the male is the aggressor, I'm considering an all female tank. What are my chances of a peaceful harmonic outcome? Open for suggestions.

Jennie
10-04-2010, 09:52 PM
well, going to be hard to get all females or all males. I mean really, how many do you have to buy to get it right. Are they the only 2 in the tank?

Pgh71Chevy
10-04-2010, 09:55 PM
They are the only two and I'm looking to get adults which can be sexed.

prolude006
10-05-2010, 12:31 AM
all females will still fight, mine do and one takes a beating same as anything. May get lucky though and be fine too never can tell. I dont know about all males but I would assume the same possibilities there as well. If you have a larger group it seems better overall but I would think buying only fish you know are males or females would be difficult.

David

DerekFF
10-05-2010, 01:57 AM
Yeah the odds/time it would take to get a tank full of confirmed sex fish would take a long long time, or a lot of money. And a tank full of females will still have the spawning aggression, as females will pair with females (more common than I probably think) Males will probly have their squabbles, but i dont think youll get a "pair" of spawning males lol. So...males would be best bet, it this concept were in any way shape or form feasable

Darrell Ward
10-05-2010, 04:05 PM
I don't think it's possible to prevent discus from pushing, shoving, and chasing. The sex of the fish doesn't matter. They do it naturally, usually without any real harm. except maybe for an occasional torn fin, scratch, or missing scale, and these heal quickly in good water conditions. In my experience, the larger the group, the less aggression aimed at a single fish.

Pgh71Chevy
10-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Thanks for the input. It seems I need to start a discus swap group!

Jhhnn
10-06-2010, 07:34 PM
I don't think it's possible to prevent discus from pushing, shoving, and chasing. The sex of the fish doesn't matter. They do it naturally, usually without any real harm. except maybe for an occasional torn fin, scratch, or missing scale, and these heal quickly in good water conditions. In my experience, the larger the group, the less aggression aimed at a single fish.

That's my experience, as well. My one confirmed pair lives in a 120 tank with 6 other adults. They're quite harmonious wrt each other, and the only time the male really bullies the others is when the pair is feeling frisky, just about to spawn. He chases 'em all to the far end of the tank. It's like he draws an invisible line right down the middle of the 60" tank, and the rest abide by it...

I have another group of 8 large adults in a 75, no known pairing, and they nip, chase, tail lash and butt with some regularity, but nobody really gets picked on. The would be victim gets a couple of other fish between themselves and the aggressor, changing the dynamic entirely...