PDA

View Full Version : what brand of canister filter do you all recommend

flyer1988
10-07-2010, 01:32 AM
Im planning on buying a canister filter withing a month or two. Im planning on waiting for any sales that may come up due to black friday and all that good stuff. Im debating whether I should get a Marineland, Ehiem, or Fluval. which one do you all recommend from these three manufactures. To be honest guy im leaning towards marineland, but I just had a bad expierence with one of the penguin filter making alot of noise, i understand that at time faulty parts might show up, but here's my problem with them. I called them up cause it was underwarranty and let me say that I stuggled a while with a lady which by her tone of voice defenitly did not care about my issues, I managed to get the part shipped all free, still waiting for it but I just think thier call support just s**ks. but any ways please let me know which one seems to work best for you all as for what I heard Ehiem and fluval are some of the best out there.

DerekFF
10-07-2010, 02:12 AM
I have a Rena, been running for 5 years no issues

Scribbles
10-07-2010, 03:02 AM
I have had Fluvals for the last few years. They run quietly but I have had to replace parts regularly. If you get one you better have lots of spare parts on hand. I'm saving for an Eheim.

Chris

ZX10R
10-07-2010, 07:53 AM
Is use SunSun canister filters you can get them on ebay for about $100. Here is a thread on them

http://forum.simplydiscus.com/showthread.php?t=68158

Jennie
10-07-2010, 07:58 AM
If you decide on marineland I have one available here. Used for about 1 month. Nothing at all wrong with it, just like sponge filteration best.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211

Discus master
10-07-2010, 08:07 AM
I have a Rena, been running for 5 years no issues

I have a cascade 1000, and was thinking of getting an Renna Filstar Xp3 what do you think of this one I think it has a 350gph and I was going to run that plus the cascade 1000, on a 90 or a 110 when I get my up grade I only have a 55 gallon rite now wha do you think? would this be sufficent filtration for a 90 - 110??? thanks for the input and no I did not mean to highjack saw an oppertunity to talk canister filters and I am not sure either I am in the same boat as the OP thnaks in advance as always DM!

Discus master
10-07-2010, 08:09 AM
If you decide on marineland I have one available here. Used for about 1 month. Nothing at all wrong with it, just like sponge filteration best.
http://forum.simplydiscus.com/forumdisplay.php?f=211

Whats the specs on that one DL? I may be looking to up grade soon? thanks DM!

Jennie
10-07-2010, 08:15 AM
Here is the web link. it is the c220 model.
http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=1998&mid=3226

Discus master
10-07-2010, 08:20 AM
Here is the web link. it is the c220 model.
http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/products/productdetail.aspx?id=2054&cid=1998&mid=3226

Come on now DL sound like a great filter but I am going from a 55 to a 90 or 110 you know that. But great for a 55, maybe between that one and my cascade 1000 which is rated for 100 gallons I would be ok?? I plan on using both any ways, thats if this wet dry trickle sumo thing Iw ant to build out of my old 29 gallon tank does not work out for me. We will see thanks any way DL:D

Jennie
10-07-2010, 08:23 AM
sorry, I can't remember what you are getting. But in my defense, you asked:)

Discus master
10-07-2010, 09:05 AM
sorry, I can't remember what you are getting. But in my defense, you asked:)

Yeah Yeah Yeah your a woman and I wont fault you for that, lol lol

Just kidding my wife knows i am the one eho forgets everything she would laugh at the idea I could remeber something, But I did remeber the time and place to meet my breeder to get my discus hmm go figure and I do remeber my wife telling I could get a larger tank I forget the part where she said in the future lol

Ahh yes we men have a way of selctively hearning and remebering what we want to benefit us. Shhhh its a secret for men every where, I am going to catch a lot of static for this one opps!

markandhisdiscus
10-07-2010, 02:43 PM
ime if you want a real quality cannister filter , then you just cant beat eheim , they are simply the best . i wont use anything else these days.

jball1125
10-07-2010, 03:24 PM
Eheims have proven themselves to me. All though if I were to get a big tank I would probably go with an fx5, I hear nothing but good things about that filter.

markandhisdiscus
10-07-2010, 04:01 PM
the equivilant eheim ( 2080) performs much better . il have to see if i can find the tests they did .

markandhisdiscus
10-07-2010, 04:03 PM
found it . quite interesting reading .

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

1shooter
10-07-2010, 04:20 PM
I had a cascade for a few years and now run the Rena XP3.

I have them on both my tanks. They work well and have had no problems with them.

fishorama
10-07-2010, 08:38 PM
I have 3 Rena XP3s & like them quite well but they're the only type I've tried.

Herbicidal
10-08-2010, 03:00 PM
I have 4 Rena's now. An XP3 and XP4 on my 155, an XP3 used exclusively for "aging" my water for water changes. Contains peat in one chamber to lower the pH of my tap water. Just purchased our 3rd XP3 for my wifes (still dry) 90 gallon aquarium. All consumable items easily replaced. Works great, nice and quiet too. Easy to remove from beneath the stand, easy to clean, etc. Oh yeah, I like all the attachments that come with including a spray bar. :thumbsup:

pcsb23
10-08-2010, 04:16 PM
Eheims, hands down the best.

Herbicidal
10-08-2010, 04:55 PM

Well that convinced me to sell all my Rena's! ;) :p

Danimal
10-08-2010, 06:23 PM
i have Fluval FX5 and it's been great so far ( about 3 years ) a while back it was putting super fine bubbles back in the tank and i call Fluval and they sent a new lid and O-rings at no charge
have not seen a bubble since

dan

scottishbloke
10-08-2010, 08:59 PM
I have been using Eheims for about 8 years now (2075, 2236, 2224) and they run just as well now as when I first bought them. They have great build quality, you can put all sorts of different kinds of filter media in them, and many have easy to remove (and clean) filter baskets. They are a tad expensive but they last really well, at least in my experience with them. Another thing is that the flow rate is usually adjustable and even at full flow is often more gentle than some other filter brands, which makes them great for keeping discus, who do not like too vigorous a current in the tank anyway. If you use a canister you should also seriously consider getting some pre-filter sponges- these fit onto the intake tubes, greatly reduce the amount of large pieces of waste going into the filter itself, and provide additional bio-filtration to boot.

My 2 cents,

Colin

Kingdom Come Discus
10-08-2010, 09:59 PM
Fluval FX5 Hands down. I have one going in a 75 salt. Been running since 2006. Water changes once ever six months in a fish only no live rock. A powder blur tang lived there for years untill I sold him. Just bought another on ebay for $240.00 including shipping, for a future 150 gallon planted tank. There are many reasons to choose the FX5 as it is the most well designed canister filter on the market in my opinion.

bazil66
10-08-2010, 10:09 PM
I have rena 3,had cascade,But my eheims are the best 2260 and 2262 I go at least 6 months before cleaning. kens fish has the best prices

Yboat
10-08-2010, 10:59 PM
I had great luck with both ehiem and the older fluval X03 series. had awful probs with the X04 fluvals. I've have no exp with the newer fluvals.

MGKelly
10-09-2010, 04:31 AM

I like Eheims also, but can't find parts when i need them.
have a FX5 that works fine, but for some reason doesn't seems to be as good for bio filtration as the eheims.
That's just my experience.

Joe

wheelsdeal
10-09-2010, 06:02 AM
You cant go wrong with Eheim.The classic line is selling for 50 years.That means something.I have the pro3e 2078 and imo the best filter out there only second to the 2080.I also have a 2217,not so practical to clean as the pro series,but its a filter that will last forever.

nc0gnet0
10-10-2010, 01:15 AM
found it . quite interesting reading .

http://www.discusforums.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7080

Wow, now that is a flawed test if there ever was one with an even more questionable conclusion. They proved that the Eheim cycles faster........big whoop, I am not suprised as it has more capacity for bio-media. They go on to admit that the fluval does better at mechanical filtration, but yet still say Eheim wins the test? If they wanted to run a real test, they should have let each filter completly cycle, then time how long it takes to remove a pre-measured amount of ammonia out of the tank. I find it hard to beleive they didn't do this test.....did they and not want to post the results? Food for thought.

Not to mention you can get two fluval fx5's for the cost of that filter. Another thing to mention is that parts for the Eheim will run you twice as much, and the gasket on the FX5 is much less likely to fail. If you had to narrow it down between that specific Eheim or Fluval, you would be crazy not to get the Fluval.

However, a better option would be a couple of Mark V sponges and a Magnum 350 for water polishing.....a much more versatile setup.

Sharkbait
10-10-2010, 11:10 AM
I've had my Fluval FX5 for almost 3 years - haven't had any issues, or had to replace any parts. Wouldn't say it's the best, just because I haven't tried anything else. But if it ain't broke, don't fix it :)

Great to use to help change water.

Haven't tried the Eheims, but I hear good things.

prolude006
10-10-2010, 03:56 PM
As posted on simply before its going to be hard to pick one over the other in canister filters.
I have had my Rena Xp3 running for 13 years now and its still going, never replaced a single part, simple to do everything with it. I have heard good things about the FX5 (much pricier) and also eheim is solid but also pricier. I would go with anyone one of those types for sure. I dont personally like using eheim but dont let that stop you from getting one.
I bought a second Xp3 when they went on sale at Drsfostersmith, got mine for 130 bucks so way way worth it. When my older one dies eventually ill have parts for my newer one if needed. I will also have more configuration options too.

Good luck choosing

David

Dutch dude
10-10-2010, 04:32 PM
Eheim is a safe and good choice but,....don't ever buy the Eheim Ecco! Those are crap. The Pro series are easy to use and of a good qualety. The classics give a lot of value for money.

wheelsdeal
10-10-2010, 07:53 PM
I believe you must also consider the type of fish you are keeping.I mean...if i had a pleco tank i would go with the fx5 for the mechanical filtration and flow.For discus i would prefer the one with the biggest bio media capacity.Also consider the availability of parts in your area cause if you will need any,you will need it fast.

Fish Finatics
10-11-2010, 06:41 AM
I believe the best answer would be, "you get what you pay for". I have so many kinds of canisters I run on one tank or another.

As for Fluvals, they have gone way downhill since being redesigned. Too much bypass, not enough pumphead pressure. Can't do a good job at disolving organics vs other filters I own and have in operation.

For the budget concience, in that price range, I like the Marineland C-series canisters with their no bypass design. I have a C-360 which did a nice job on a densly stocked 75 gallon.

The Renas have deep, sharp corners in their filter baskets which make me nervous because of possible hydrogen sulfide production in possible dead spots. I have two Rena Filstar XP4s. I had put one of them on my husband's community tank taking established media out of another canister. Inside of a week the driftwood slimmed and phosphates jumped. I have heard that if you load sponges into them and use those as your bio-media they perform much better. Exc. pump head pressure, multi-ajustable spray bars.

Ya want the truth however!!!!!! Invest if you can and go with Eheim"s Pro series line. You will be glad you did. :D I am not familiar with lesser Eheims as all of mine are in the Pro-Series line. Pro 3, Pro 3E and 3 wet/dry canisters. I have found the wet/dries to be virtually maintainance free, no sponges or other media to replace. Their continuous purging action keeps them spotlessly clean. The only quirk with them is, you have to be absolutely sure you measure out the tubing correctly, have no more than 3 inches slack in the tubing and make sure the air breather tube remains up in place. My bio-media is about 2 years old in all three of my wet/dies and it looks like I just put it in yesterday. :)

nc0gnet0
10-11-2010, 06:43 AM
As for Fluvals, they have gone way downhill since being redesigned. Too much bypass, not enough pumphead pressure. Can't do a good job at disolving organics vs other filters I own and have in operation.

What???? The Fx5 has zero bypass and more pumphead pressure than any of the Ehiems? Not sure where you have been..........

Fish Finatics
10-11-2010, 06:53 AM
PS on Fluval XP5s. Unless you have a very large tank the XP5 has a few drawbacks. I went through three of them in two years (motor replacement or new filter al together) on my big reef so they do not hold up well for marine purposes. When the third one died just recently, I gave up.

They crank out 925 gph through their duel output nozzle which may be too much for discus depending on the size of your tank. Discus can take diffused current but that is a heck of a lot of direct current from one direct source and may stress your discus. At that super fast flow rate, it is good they have so much bio area because the water passes through them too fast when it comes to biological performance. I prefer, as is rec., you go with slower, highly oxygenated water for bio-filtration, another reason why I like the Eheim wet/dries. They are real slow at 145 gph. Fantastic for bio-filtration but not good scarf-up mechanical filters at all. They were origionally designed for reefs but I have no problem with their performance even with my super soft water.

Fish Finatics
10-11-2010, 07:03 AM
Another drawback to XP5 is that they really consume oxygen, far more than all that current they put out generates but that is based on my experience with them on my reef. When I refer to the Fluvals otherwise I refer to the 05 vs 04 series (105, 205, 305 and 405) The XP5 is in a class by itself but still has several drawbacks but that certainly is the best Fluval has made in quite some time if you have a tank big enough to handle one.

nc0gnet0
10-11-2010, 09:30 AM
Whats an XP5? :D I have two FX5's running for over two years now, not a single issue. Don't use them on my discus tanks though......
Current can be offset by dialing it back, spraybar, etc. The ehiems larger bio-capacity is nice, but if all I was concerned about was bio I would (and do) simply stick with sponge filters.

Fish Finatics
10-11-2010, 04:52 PM
My mistake, esrly morning trying to get out the door to work. I got the Rena and Fluval mixed up. All I have to do is look on my front porch at yet another FX5 I just junked because it can't take salt water.

I generally like your comments but you are comparing apples to oranges here.
Get over your jealosy of Eheim. Buy one yourself as they are close in price to the FX5s. You'll see the difference. Just do not rec. an FX5 to just anyone. They shut themselves down to release all the trapped oxygen every 24 hrs. for two minutes at which time. This trapped oxygen comes so forcefully out of the canister it bubbles over the tank sending water frying against the lights down into possible electric and what ever else. Then you hear them refilling themselves after this proceedure, usually to the tune of 1 1/2 gallong as that is how oxygen they extract and trap from the water. Then they kick themselves on again with such force that it would make a discus jump out of it's scales. They'd easily suck up discus fry and young discus.

The Fluval FX5 is a much better mechanical filter than any Eheim because it can draw from as far away as 4 ft and are highly aggressive trappers. It is also a bull in a china shop when it comes to their application with discus unless you have a 200 or more gallon tank and that kind of bio-load a FX5 will never handle. I am sure this person is asking about canister filters for biological purposes and there are any number of them out there that can beat a FX5. In that dept., NO ONE BUT NO ONE BEATS EHEIM'S PRO LINES.

nc0gnet0
10-11-2010, 05:27 PM
LOL,

So I guess last winter when I overwintered 8 koi in a 200 gallon tank with an fx5 I was just imagining things? :D And by the way, I have an eheim pro II 2028 (leaks like a siv) along with a rena xp4, two Fx5's, Two 404's, a via aqua. I can pick up a brand new fx5 on ebay for 200 bucks, I challenge you to find me the Eheim 2080 pro 3 for anything remotely close to that price.

As I said in my first posts, if you want great bio-filtration, get a couple of sponge filters. I have no idea why you are having issues with the fx5 in your saltwater tank, any decent saltwater setup I have ever seen utilized a sump/overflow. If I had to guess I would think your pulling sand into the intake which is in turn damaging the impeller with increase wear.

On another note, my local LFS uses an fx5 to polish there tanks. They take out all the bio media and replace with precut filtration batting, give the gravel a stir and insert the fx5....works like a charm and its the cleanest water I have ever seen at an LFS. After 4 tanks, take the filter media out, wash out in a bucket, dip in bleach, then prime, and on to the next 4 tanks.

Fish Finatics
10-11-2010, 05:56 PM
Please do not misunderstand me. I do not dislike FX5s, I just had bad luck with them. No, they weren't eating sand, just too much high salt concentration water and marine water is heavier than freshwater. :)

Yes I can absolutely see Koi in a 200 gal tanks with an FX5., just not on the average discus tank!!!!:(