PDA

View Full Version : New Arrivals in QT now 1 not eating.

PAR23
10-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Problem

1. Please explain the problems with your fish/when and how they started

6 new 3.5" fish in 40G QT (from reputable seller). 2 out of the 6 had to be moved into their own 40G tank because of extreme aggression. After redistribution, remaining 4 doing well but now 1 stopped eating 5 days ago. They are fed ON prime reef flakes, BH flakes, FD blackworms and occassional Hikari BW--all accepted very well.

2. Symptoms (i.e. turning dark, excess slime, not eating, clamped fins, flashing, darting, clamped gills, white/yellow/green poop, hiding, headstanding or tailstanding, white on tips of fins, rotting or fungus, blisters/ white zits on fish, bloated, cloudy eyes, wounds)

Not eating for 5 days. No poop in 4 days--it was dark. NO excess slime, clamped fins, darting, head or tailstanding, external lesions noted, cloudy eyes or bloating. Occasional flashing. Its a white butterfly so can't tell if turning dark. Swims in middle of the tank. Normal breathing.

3. What medications/ treatments that you have already tried and results. Include dosages and duration of treatment.

No medications as I do not have a diagnosis. Only increased temp slowly from 84F to 88F and increased aeration.

Tank/Water

4. Tank size and age, number and size of fish

40G QT. Was 6 now 4 3.5" fish. Up for 2 weeks with established/mature sponge filter.

5. Water change regime/ how long has tank been running/ bare bottom or gravel/ do you age your water?

Daily 80% WC with aged/aerated water. BB. no decors.

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp _84F to 88F____

- ph _8.0____

- ammonia reading __0__

- nitrite reading __0__

- nitrate reading __5__

- well water ____

- municipal water ___X_

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No. All fish added at the same time 2 weeks ago.

Based my description, what do you all think is going on? Is this the lingering affects from being bullied or should I be concerned about internal parasites? The temp was just increased over last 24 hours. Thanks in advance.

Eddie
10-07-2010, 07:08 PM
I wouldn't do anything just yet. Might have some metro on hand but thats reaching way out. If the fish were new and then you moved them, then you moved them back, thats a bit much for new fish. I'd wait it out a little while longer. With the increased heat, maybe he'll work up an appetite. Skip the bloodworms altogether IMO.

PAR23
10-07-2010, 07:40 PM
I wouldn't do anything just yet. Might have some metro on hand but thats reaching way out. If the fish were new and then you moved them, then you moved them back, thats a bit much for new fish. I'd wait it out a little while longer. With the increased heat, maybe he'll work up an appetite. Skip the bloodworms altogether IMO.

Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your advice. It is reassuraning as I wanted to give alittle more time to see how he responds to the increased temp but did not want to miss something and have him pay for my ignorance.
Perhaps I was unclear but the only fish I moved were the 2 aggressive ones. The remaining 4 including the WB remained in the original QT.
I am trying to wean them off FBW but have to say that they are not picky eaters--will probably eat my couch if I fed it to them--believe me I'm not complaining.

Eddie
10-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Hi Eddie,

Thanks for your advice. It is reassuraning as I wanted to give alittle more time to see how he responds to the increased temp but did not want to miss something and have him pay for my ignorance.
Perhaps I was unclear but the only fish I moved were the 2 aggressive ones. The remaining 4 including the WB remained in the original QT.
I am trying to wean them off FBW but have to say that they are not picky eaters--will probably eat my couch if I fed it to them--believe me I'm not complaining.

Cool, sounds good. Let me know after a few more days. 3.5" fish need to be eating all the time, non-stop, all day. I used to feed mine at night! :D

PAR23
10-07-2010, 07:54 PM
Cool, sounds good. Let me know after a few more days. 3.5" fish need to be eating all the time, non-stop, all day. I used to feed mine at night! :D

Ok. Will do. I feed 6-7x a day hence daily 80-90% WC.

Eddie
10-07-2010, 07:55 PM
Ok. Will do. I feed 6-7x a day hence daily 80-90% WC.

Cool, hope they grow out nice for you!

PAR23
10-13-2010, 11:09 AM
Just an update.

It has been 10 days now including 5 days of elevating temp to 90F and he still shows no interest in food. He o/w remains the same. I am going to move him to a 20G tank and start metro 500mg/10G Q8 and increase temp tp 92F. I am getting more concerned now. :(

Eddie
10-13-2010, 07:07 PM
Just an update.

It has been 10 days now including 5 days of elevating temp to 90F and he still shows no interest in food. He o/w remains the same. I am going to move him to a 20G tank and start metro 500mg/10G Q8 and increase temp tp 92F. I am getting more concerned now. :(

Yup, sounds like a plan. ;)

PAR23
10-15-2010, 04:46 PM
Very happy....... :DSo he started to peck at FBW but no intake on day 2 of metro Rx but today he went after it like a champ.....what a turn around. I'm hoping he is over what ever he had..
What do you think about completely 5 days of metro and maintaining temp 92F for another week or so? Thanks as always.:)

Eddie
10-15-2010, 06:58 PM
Very happy....... :DSo he started to peck at FBW but no intake on day 2 of metro Rx but today he went after it like a champ.....what a turn around. I'm hoping he is over what ever he had..
What do you think about completely 5 days of metro and maintaining temp 92F for another week or so? Thanks as always.:)

That is fine, its a tried and true method in discus hobby. The higher temps will help with appetite. Great to hear about the recovery, thats awesome.

PAR23
10-15-2010, 08:35 PM
That is fine, its a tried and true method in discus hobby. The higher temps will help with appetite. Great to hear about the recovery, thats awesome.

Thanks as always for your input Eddie. :)