PDA

View Full Version : something when terribly wrong

Chaotica
10-08-2010, 06:15 AM
DISEASE QUESTIONNAIRE

Problem

1. 2 days ago i removed a wood from my discus tank ( inserted my hand in the tank ) , the next morning 3/5 of my discus ( small ones 3-4 cm ) acted like poisoned .

2. Symptoms : lost their color and got black and their eye got black, lost their swim balance , started to tremble , i havent tried to feed yet ,cause all 5 of them act very stressed even worse than the day i inserted them in my aquarium. they look dazed to me . they are not as vivid as they were.

3. just water changes and increased my temp +1 degree celsium ( 30oC)

Tank/Water

4. 400L , running 3 months, 5 discus in it 3-4cm , fish were inserted 3 weeks ago

5. the tank is planted w/o CO2 and all that fancy stuff, just white sand, wood, plants

6 Parameters and water source;

- temp 29 C

- ph 7-7.2

- ammonia reading ____

- nitrite reading 0

- nitrate reading 0

- Tap water

7. Any new fish/plants added recently

No

P.S after water changes they got their balance back, but they are still stressed , black and shy. they do look better but....

Eddie
10-08-2010, 06:20 AM
If the wood was large and lodged into the sand, it may have opened an anaerobic pocket and the fish are being adversely affected. Several people have killed all there fish from keeping their fish in the tank and removing the substrate. Just a thought. It would make sense since they are doing better with new water.

Chaotica
10-08-2010, 06:23 AM
i think it might be something from my hands cause i didnt clean em before inserthing em in the tank :( my bad...

it was not a big piece of wood, 20-30cm but it was a bit inserted in the sand

so whats my plan of action now active carbon ? salt ? water changes ? all 3 combined ?

Eddie
10-08-2010, 06:27 AM
i think it might be something from my hands cause i didnt clean em before inserthing em in the tank :( my bad...

it was not a big piece of wood, 20-30cm but it was a bit inserted in the sand

so whats my plan of action now active carbon ? salt ? water changes ? all 3 combined ?

You can run activated carbon to remove toxins and water changes would be good also. No salt, not needed.

Chaotica
10-08-2010, 07:14 AM
thanks for the info eddie, gonna insert the carbon now and see how it goes :)

ZX10R
10-08-2010, 08:01 AM
There was a thread on here a few months back about something like this. The lady was cooking some kind of seafood fish for dinner didn't wash her hands and put them in the tank to feed her discus. I believe she ended up loosing almost all her fish from it. After reading what happened to her I have now started to make sure I wash my hands before I do anything with my tank.

Chaotica
10-08-2010, 08:07 AM
well i wasnt cooking anything or doing anything that "dangerous " !! anyway, carbon inserted on the filters . we ll wait and see

Jennie
10-08-2010, 08:18 AM
I saw one for someone who had hand lotion on her hands prior to putting them in discus tank

Chaotica
10-08-2010, 09:10 AM
all 5 fish have recovered, something was in the water obviously . :) thanks for the tips everyone :)

Tito
10-08-2010, 09:29 AM
By habit - I always wash my hands before placing them in the tank.

And I also wash my hands after I finish with the tank especially before I eat or make my kids a sandwich.

Keywords - Cross-contamination. For both the fish and the human.

Second Hand Pat
10-08-2010, 12:39 PM
all 5 fish have recovered, something was in the water obviously . :) thanks for the tips everyone :)

Chaotica, so glad your fish have recovered. :D

Since it has be mentioned about ensuring hands (or anything else for that manner) should be clean going into a tank also household sprays can be deadly.