PDA

View Full Version : Fry Removal.

1eyedtuna
10-08-2010, 05:57 PM
When is it best to remove the fry from the parents?
I have about 23 two week old fry in a 20 gallon high with the pair still.

Thanks for the help!

moik
10-08-2010, 06:23 PM
2 weeks of age are fine..One question,,are the fry eating baby brine or alternate foods very good? If so then move the parents and not the fry...Thats what I would do...
When is it best to remove the fry from the parents?
I have about 23 two week old fry in a 20 gallon high with the pair still.

Thanks for the help!

1eyedtuna
10-08-2010, 06:36 PM
I have been feeding them crushed flake food but they appear to not be very interested in it...so i am unsure of how much they are actually eating.

nc0gnet0
10-08-2010, 07:16 PM
You really need to hatch and feed some baby brine shrimp.......like starting last week. :D Its really easy. Do you have any pictures of your fry that you can post?

In a pinch you can get some decapsulated brine shrimp eggs from Ken's Fish, these have all the nutrition of freshly hatched brine shrimp and are also readily taken by the fry.

1eyedtuna
10-08-2010, 07:24 PM
i cant seem to upload a pic because it is to large....any tips on this?

nc0gnet0
10-08-2010, 08:05 PM
Post it on www.photoucket.com and then link it here.

And to answer your question I would'nt remove the fry from thier parents until they are eating on there own.

Skip
10-08-2010, 08:19 PM
what do you feed fry that are 4 weeks..

Kingdom Come Discus
10-08-2010, 08:56 PM

I feed decapsulated brine shrimp if I raised them artificially. Newly hatched brine shrimp if still with parents.

Keith Perkins
10-08-2010, 10:07 PM
With that few fry I would leave them with the parents for at least several more weeks, especially since you haven't been feeding them live bbs. It's not too late to start that now, but you'd almost have to acquire it immediately and get it going this weekend. If you're determined not to do that for some reason, I'd suggest you start shaving some of the beefheart you're feeding the parents and feed that to the fry. You have to have the fry eating something well besides the parents slimecoat before you separate them, but again with only 23 fry they can stay together another month or longer easily.

Eddie
10-09-2010, 12:11 AM

Everything! ;)

1eyedtuna
10-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Ok so now the parents seem to be getting into more and more fights...how long should i keep the fry with them with this occuring? I cant separate the male and female all I can do is separate the fry due to a lack of space currently.

scottthomas
10-09-2010, 02:14 PM
2 weeks of age are fine..One question,,are the fry eating baby brine or alternate foods very good? If so then move the parents and not the fry...Thats what I would do...

+1

Melissa
11-18-2010, 02:02 AM
Ok so now the parents seem to be getting into more and more fights...how long should i keep the fry with them with this occuring? I cant separate the male and female all I can do is separate the fry due to a lack of space currently.
Bump!

I have the same question... I have 40+ 2 week old fry. They eat Bbs in a heart beat, but I'm working on getting them to take bh mix and golden pearls... I wanted to leave them with the parents as long as possible because health/ immunity wise doesn't that help them to feed off of the parents?
The male and female are fighting more frequently, should I just remove the parents at this point then?
And why are they fighting? I would've thought theyd be irritated at the fry... Not one another...

John_Nicholson
11-18-2010, 10:09 AM
At that age they should have been eating BBS for at least 10 days. Also most of mine will start eating on the beefheart at between 10 and 14 days. If they are eating then just net them out like you would any other fish.

-john

Melissa
11-18-2010, 09:50 PM
Thanks John!

Just removed the parents earlier today and the fry are doing fantastic!