PDA

View Full Version : Can some ID this "thing" hanging from my BD?

Sea Hag
10-08-2010, 07:38 PM
Just when I think everything is A-ok something else pops up (or out).
Can someone id this "thing" that is hanging from one of my BDs? What is it and what do I need to do about it??

nc0gnet0
10-08-2010, 08:11 PM
ouch......any eggs on any heaters lately?

Sea Hag
10-08-2010, 08:48 PM
Please don't tell me that's what you think it is?? :noway:
I thought at first that it looked like a "burn" but the heaters aren't accessible to the fish. They are in "slots" in the back of the tank w/ the built in wet/dry.
If it's what we think it is does this mean he is permanently damaged?? He didn't want to eat this morning, he is now, but not aggressively as he usually does.

PS. I always thought that this was the male of a pair. Is this a female we are looking at??

Kingdom Come Discus
10-08-2010, 09:03 PM
I do not consider myself a expert breeder, but I have had many pairs. The equipment on this fish looks like a male to me. Most of the females I have seen have more of a blunt tube than a pointed one. I have never seen a male sperm tube this long or with the dark tip on the end. It does look burnt, but you said this is not possible. Could be just the fish. I hope he perform for you normally.

Maybe Hans or someone with more experience could shed some light on the subject.

Sea Hag
10-08-2010, 09:17 PM
He has spawned a few times and I've never seen it look "burnt" on the end like it is now. It has always been "white". I wonder what the heck has happened?? :confused:

nc0gnet0
10-08-2010, 09:54 PM
Was he out catting around? :o

Sea Hag
10-08-2010, 10:28 PM
He dumped his RT from the last spawn (I have no idea why) and then just two days later spawned with a Cobalt in the tank. Maybe this is what happens when a RT takes matters into her own fins when no one is looking?
Odd, I have no idea what could have happened to his apparatus. Overuse?? :o

brewmaster15
10-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Well, its just a guess but that looks like a bacterial infection/urogenital area or possibly a worm. Best advice is to place it in a hospital tank and observe for afew days. If it persists I'd try kanamycin or maracyn 2 then moveonto the dewormers.
Hth,
al

Sea Hag
10-08-2010, 11:56 PM
Well, its just a guess but that looks like a bacterial infection/urogenital area or possibly a worm. Best advice is to place it in a hospital tank and observe for afew days. If it persists I'd try kanamycin or maracyn 2 then moveonto the dewormers.
Hth,
al

Thanks, Al. I'll do just that. Already have one RT in QT, guess what I'm doing tomorrow? Purchasing and setting up another QT. Man, my hospital room is starting to increase its intake admissions. :(

Eddie
10-09-2010, 12:04 AM
Thanks, Al. I'll do just that. Already have one RT in QT, guess what I'm doing tomorrow? Purchasing and setting up another QT. Man, my hospital room is starting to increase its intake admissions. :(

Hey well once you sterilize the QT tanks, they can make great breeder set-ups if they are large enough! :D

I'd also follow Als suggestion. ;)

Sea Hag
10-09-2010, 12:51 AM
Hey well once you sterilize the QT tanks, they can make great breeder set-ups if they are large enough! :D

I'd also follow Als suggestion. ;)

LOL, Eddie, you read my mind. I was looking at 40gl breeders today while I was in buying an airstone. :)
Too bad this particular fish is my "stud". IF it's his Johnson I hope w/ treatment he'll still be verile. We shall see. Thanks so much guys, as ALWAYS!

Eddie
10-09-2010, 12:57 AM
LOL, Eddie, you read my mind. I was looking at 40gl breeders today while I was in buying an airstone. :)
Too bad this particular fish is my "stud". IF it's his Johnson I hope w/ treatment he'll still be verile. We shall see. Thanks so much guys, as ALWAYS!

LMAO, his johnson...and then Rick's comment about catting around, had me dying! :D

nc0gnet0
10-09-2010, 01:02 AM
He dumped his RT from the last spawn (I have no idea why) and then just two days later spawned with a Cobalt in the tank. Maybe this is what happens when a RT takes matters into her own fins when no one is looking?

Maybe the RT went all Bobbit on him when he was sleeping? :angry:

(so sorry, I know its serious...but....but) :o

Jennie
10-09-2010, 06:49 AM
Odd, I have no idea what could have happened to his apparatus. Overuse??

I don't think he overused it to this point?? I could be wrong though, Guys, that one is for you:)

Jhhnn
10-09-2010, 11:28 AM
Weird. It actually looks like a parasitic copepod, attached at the vent rather than on the skin. Like some of these-

http://www.google.com/images?q=parasitic+copepods&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=849

Just guessing from a distance, obviously...

Sea Hag
10-10-2010, 12:09 AM
Weird. It actually looks like a parasitic copepod, attached at the vent rather than on the skin. Like some of these-

http://www.google.com/images?q=parasitic+copepods&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi&biw=1680&bih=849

Just guessing from a distance, obviously...

Hope not, some of those pics are gross.

On a side note, his Johnson is now safely tucked away and that area looks normal now. He's eating like he always has. Something I did notice on him though. He has a very red area at the very base of one of his pectoral fins. Coincidence?? Or??

Sea Hag
10-12-2010, 07:59 AM
Well, he spawned with the Cobalt before I could pull him for isolation/observation. He's eating very well and behaving very normally. Should I still pull him from the display to QT tank? He still has that red at the base of his one pectoral fin. Not sure what that's all about.

Jennie
10-12-2010, 08:01 AM
I don't think it's his johnson, I think it's a parasite. Clean water and salt will probably help with the redness.
Hope not, some of those pics are gross.

On a side note, his Johnson is now safely tucked away and that area looks normal now. He's eating like he always has. Something I did notice on him though. He has a very red area at the very base of one of his pectoral fins. Coincidence?? Or??

Sea Hag
10-12-2010, 08:25 AM
I don't think it's his johnson, I think it's a parasite. Clean water and salt will probably help with the redness.

I'm doing a water change today, will pull him for QT and treat as discussed prior in this thread. Thank you for the advice, as always. :)
Also, I meant to ask when it's recommended for me to use "dewormers" which product do I use? I'm making the 45 minute trip to the "good" LFS in the area so will want to pick up the proper med while I'm there.

Jennie
10-12-2010, 08:33 AM
I'd get with Eddie on that and likely if one has it they all have it. But you can still treat the bd in qt for the redness in meantime

Sea Hag
10-12-2010, 08:44 AM
I'd get with Eddie on that and likely if one has it they all have it. But you can still treat the bd in qt for the redness in meantime

Yes, I was wondering about that. I should treat the entire tank but I will wait for Eddie's advice as you suggested since I have no idea what product to use. Will pull and treat for the redness. Why is it that parasites give me the heebie jeebies? When it comes to my Discus I so worry. My other fish? Not at all, lol. It's hard to not want to throw the entire medicine cabinet in the dispay and I understand why people do it. Must resist, must wait for Eddie...

Jennie
10-12-2010, 08:49 AM
you'll be fine!

Eddie
10-12-2010, 09:09 AM
Yes, I was wondering about that. I should treat the entire tank but I will wait for Eddie's advice as you suggested since I have no idea what product to use. Will pull and treat for the redness. Why is it that parasites give me the heebie jeebies? When it comes to my Discus I so worry. My other fish? Not at all, lol. It's hard to not want to throw the entire medicine cabinet in the dispay and I understand why people do it. Must resist, must wait for Eddie...

Its tempting but don't do it. LOL This is why the medicine cabinet should be empty! ;)

Is it just the one fin with redness? I wouldn't even treat the fish yet. Dewormers, everybody has there thoughts and opinions on deworming. Alot depends on the source of the fish and the foods you feed.

Sea Hag
10-12-2010, 09:20 AM
Its tempting but don't do it. LOL This is why the medicine cabinet should be empty! ;)

Is it just the one fin with redness? I wouldn't even treat the fish yet. Dewormers, everybody has there thoughts and opinions on deworming. Alot depends on the source of the fish and the foods you feed.

Yep, I read your advice in another thread and resisted the urge to start a medicine cabinet. I WAS feeding live California Blackworms so who knows what type of parasites my fish are infected with. I was rinsing and draining them repeatedly but I bet a tape worm (when small) looks like an adult blackworm?? What else could be mixed in with the worms, besides the leeches that I have seen?? Why, oh why, was I feeding this food?? Arrrghh

Only one pectoral fin with redness, color is good everywhere else on the body. Source of my fish was that he was a captive bred Discus in San Diego tap water. I aquired him when he was 5" (along with a Red Turk) from the gal who had raised him. She was moving out of state and didn't want to take her fish with.

Eddie
10-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Yep, I read your advice in another thread and resisted the urge to start a medicine cabinet. I WAS feeding live California Blackworms so who knows what type of parasites my fish are infected with. I was rinsing and draining them repeatedly but I bet a tape worm (when small) looks like an adult blackworm?? What else could be mixed in with the worms, besides the leeches that I have seen?? Why, oh why, was I feeding this food?? Arrrghh

Only one pectoral fin with redness, color is good everywhere else on the body. Source of my fish was that he was a captive bred Discus in San Diego tap water. I aquired him when he was 5" (along with a Red Turk) from the gal who had raised him. She was moving out of state and didn't want to take her fish with.

Hmm, yeah, I say skip live blackworms, too risky. Everybody and their Momma swears by them but I see too many people posting with negative effects from feeding them.

I wouldn't say you had to deworm your fish but you could if you felt the need. Entirely up to you. The first step would be a Prazi treatment, 24-48 hour treatment. Then follow through with a roundworm treatment. I prefer to use a deworming flake, if the fish are eating. ;)

Sea Hag
10-12-2010, 09:33 AM
Thanks, Eddie. I will pick up Prazi today. Are there different options as far as Prazi, ie: PraziPro, Praziquantel or is it all one and the same??

My fish have yet to take to flakes. Is there another form of round worm dewormer (liquid) that I could soak some mysis or brine in?? Or, there's always the option of staving them out until they take flake??

Eddie
10-12-2010, 09:37 AM
Thanks, Eddie. I will pick up Prazi today. Are there different options as far as Prazi, ie: PraziPro, Praziquantel or is it all one and the same??

My fish have yet to take to flakes. Is there another form of round worm dewormer (liquid) that I could soak some mysis or brine in?? Or, there's always the option of staving them out until they take flake??

Prazipro is fine for dealing with tapeworms, just not effective in treating flukes as described on the bottle.

Soaking foods in medications is way ineffective, the amount is minimal to none. Making a mix with the meds added can be very beneficial. Oral treatments are preferred actually but alot times fish will not eat so the tank has to be treated. Levamisole is the product you are looking for. ;)

Sea Hag
10-12-2010, 09:45 AM
Prazipro is fine for dealing with tapeworms, just not effective in treating flukes as described on the bottle.

Soaking foods in medications is way ineffective, the amount is minimal to none. Making a mix with the meds added can be very beneficial. Oral treatments are preferred actually but alot times fish will not eat so the tank has to be treated. Levamisole is the product you are looking for. ;)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

Jennie
10-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I'll second that!

______

Sea Hag
10-12-2010, 10:04 AM
I'll second that!

No kidding. I just made a contribution to the forum and I should have specified that Eddie should receive half because he's an :angel:

Jennie
10-12-2010, 10:09 AM
I know, I don't tell him too often cause I don't want his head to swell!:D

Eddie
10-12-2010, 06:01 PM
No kidding. I just made a contribution to the forum and I should have specified that Eddie should receive half because he's an :angel:

I know, I don't tell him too often cause I don't want his head to swell!:D

LOL, you guys are funny.

Your happiness in keeping discus, is mine as well. Thats the only thing I need.

Take care,

Eddie

joshua 74
10-13-2010, 03:24 AM
poor fella

Sea Hag
10-13-2010, 08:49 AM
poor fella

I know. :(
On a good note he his looking and acting very healthy and robust so I'm confident that the medication regime will knock out whatever that "thing" is. Too bad I now have to call it a "thing", it was way more fun when I was calling it "johnson", lol.

After the Prazi I'm going to do the Levamisole. I gather you can order this product over the counter, since I'm not finding it available on the internet? My LFS guy said a vet has to prescribe.
I called my vet (great guy, excellent vet) and after he did some research he called me back to tell me that so far he can only find it in pill/tablet form. He knows I need it in powdered. Anyone know where I/he can find the powder??

Jennie
10-13-2010, 09:00 AM
heres a link on powder
http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/343401560/levamisole_powder.html

seanyuki
10-13-2010, 09:48 AM
Try David Rose(IGO PRO).....Vermisol (generic Levamisole HCL)

http://www.igopro-online.com/IGOPRO-ONLINE-COM-Fish-Medications-s/6.htm?searching=Y&sort=7&cat=6&show=10&page=3

I know. :(
On a good note he his looking and acting very healthy and robust so I'm confident that the medication regime will knock out whatever that "thing" is. Too bad I now have to call it a "thing", it was way more fun when I was calling it "johnson", lol.

After the Prazi I'm going to do the Levamisole. I gather you can order this product over the counter, since I'm not finding it available on the internet? My LFS guy said a vet has to prescribe.
I called my vet (great guy, excellent vet) and after he did some research he called me back to tell me that so far he can only find it in pill/tablet form. He knows I need it in powdered. Anyone know where I/he can find the powder??

seanyuki
10-13-2010, 09:50 AM
a 25 KG package can last 100 years....just j/k:)

heres a link on powder

Sea Hag
10-13-2010, 09:53 AM
heres a link on powder

Thanks for the link, Jennie. Is this a link I give to my vet or I can use it to order the powder on my own for myself? From a brief poking around on the site it appears all the suppliers of the powder are overseas?? I assume there are distributors here in the States??

Jennie
10-13-2010, 10:03 AM
one way to find out:)