PDA

View Full Version : please help canister filter fiasco.

lithevantim
10-09-2010, 09:20 PM
Hey guys, i have a problem.

The other day i accidently plugged in my canister filter instead of my heater.
I only realised about and hour and a half later. This filter had no water in it at all:(

By the time i realised the top of the filter was very hot and it had a burning smell coming from it. when i opened it, a really weird smell came out like oil.

So i am just wondering if anyone can tell me if there is oil in canister filters. If there is i won't be able to use the canister filter again.

I don't want it to leak toxic substances into the water.

The filter still works when i plug it in. But i don't know whether to use it or not.

thanks heaps for any feedback.

Regards tim.

Eddie
10-09-2010, 09:32 PM
I wouldn't risk it. Internally, the motor probably has some lubrication and this would generally be sealed. Since you burned up the motor, this lube may make its way out. Also, there is no telling how long the filter will run. It may die when you least expect it and that would really suck. I'd get a new filter to ensure the integrity of your system. ;)

Jennie
10-09-2010, 09:36 PM
on another side of this error, how cold did your tank water get from no heat??

lithevantim
10-09-2010, 10:55 PM
the temp only dropped 2 degrees celsius, luckily.

tcyiu
10-21-2010, 12:27 AM
I wouldn't risk it. Internally, the motor probably has some lubrication and this would generally be sealed. Since you burned up the motor, this lube may make its way out. Also, there is no telling how long the filter will run. It may die when you least expect it and that would really suck. I'd get a new filter to ensure the integrity of your system. ;)

I agree with Eddie. There's no telling what seals got compromised by running the filter dry. When filled with water, it may seep and you might run the risk of electrocution as well as having dead fish.

I'd chuck it.

Tim

P.S. I have found fish to be generally tolerant of temp drops. I've had my discus tank drop to 70 degrees when I occasionally forgot to re-connect the heaters. No ill effects - just a little sluggish. After quickly introducing hot water to immediately bring the temp back to 82, they came roaring back and were as hungry as ever.

On the flip side, my fish do NOT like water that is warmer than normal. On two occasions when I was not careful and introduced 86-88 deg water during a WC, half the fish started to float up to the top, and the other half sank to bottom of the tank. Luckily I noticed and a bunch of ice cubes saved the day.